Spontaneous Word Wars (for slow writers)

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Spontaneous Word Wars (for slow writers)

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Hope McClellan
    @hope-mcclellan

@naiya-dyani

Oh my word, everyone who knows me is just tired of the fact that my novel isn’t done yet. XD My brother did some last minute valentines for the family, and his valentine to me was a sheet of paper that had one sentence at the top: Just like your novel, your valentine isn’t done yet. We all lost it. It was so funny. And the kids I nanny for are always saying how it’s going to take forever for me to finish. They are really sweet, though. They are constantly asking what part I’m at, and last Thursday, Sarah (who’s about to turn 6) as we were talking about it just turned to me and said, “Rachel, you make the best stories.” HEART MELTED!!!! It was the sweetest. 😍💕😘

Hmm, I’m trying to think… I write all my stuff by hand, so I don’t have anything from today copied down onto my computer yet, but I may be able to find something from awhile ago…

"Write the vision, and make it plain on tablets, that he may run who reads it."
      Habakkuk 2:2

Naiya Dyani
      @naiya-dyani

@hope-mcclellan Oh goodness, do you count all your words off the page???

Oh my word, your brother sounds hysterical! XD XD

And Sarah. . . all of us writers need Sarahs in our lives! That’s so sweet! <3 My brother has said stuff like that too. . . it’s so precious! 😀

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Hope McClellan
        @hope-mcclellan

@naiya-dyani

Alright, I found a couple chunks from chapter 9. They’re not spoilers, but they’re pretty key pieces that show some raw internal struggle of my character Cillian.

Cillian slumped against a tree. He felt in a sour mood, now. The sight of his lean legs stretched out in front of him. certainly didn’t help at all.

Outcast. 

The word echoed over and over again in his ears. The wind carried the murmur of it to the trees, which caught on quickly to the chant. It reverberated in his brain. There was no escape, never had there been. He was stuck in this form, this freakish body of his, doomed as a castaway and vagrant for the entirety of his life.

Ice Boy, they called him. They whispered the title with disbelief, wonder, condemnation, but mostly fear. Fear of the unnatural. Fear of the unknown. They didn’t understand, and they didn’t want to. They called him Ice Boy because, quite frankly, they didn’t know what else to call him.

Not that Cillian knew either. For the past three years he had travelled, visiting every place between the Northern lake and Mount Desolate, and nowhere had he ever seen a creature like him.

Cillian had heard every comparison out there. He was like a centaur with two legs. Or a dwarf that had been stretched out. A giant-size fairy without wings. A naiad in form, but made of flesh. In Cillian’s personal opinion, this last one was the closest. Although, nothing explained his alabaster white skin, or the subtle navy tint to his dark hair, and especially not his ice powers. There were no myths, no legends of a species like his. He was his own mystery. And he was rejected for it.

“Hey Cillian.”

Cillian’s train of thoughts was interrupted by the sound of Hydra’s cheerful voice.

“You did a really good job leading us through the village.” She smiled almost shyly, as if she was hesitant to see how he would receive it. “How were you always so sure of where you were going?”

Honestly, Cilian didn’t know how to react to the praise. He decided not to think about it and simply answer the question.

“I have a visual memory. When I remember something it’s as an image.”

“Really!” Hydra’s eyebrows rose with interest. “Is the image sort of dark and fuzzy? That’s what my memory is like.”

“No, not really. It’s like I’m standing right there.”

“That’s quite interesting,” Hydra said. “I’ve actually met someone like that before.”

Firn cut in, “Wait, so how long were you here the first time?”

“Not long,” Cillian replied. “A few days, maybe?”

Firn went slack-jawed for a moment. “Let me get this straight, based on that limited exposure, you managed to recall the layout of the entire village?”

Cillian nodded. Firn was really dumbfounded now.

“Impressive,” Asmund noted with respect.

“Well it sure saved our necks back there,” Firn chimed.

Hydra laughed but Cillian dropped his gaze and picked at a loose thread in his chocolate-brown parka. Seven days now he had travelled as a part of this crew, and the more time he spent with them, the less he knew what to make of their behavior.

This was beyond tolerating his presence. It was almost like they were…accepting him.

The way that Firn so easily came and interacted with Cillian after his whole outburst with the kappa blew his socks off.

Even shy Asmund talked to him some. Cillian had a feeling his lack of conversation had more to do with social anxiety than fear of this strange Ice Boy.

No matter how many times Cillian brushed off Hydra’s cordial attempts, she always came back. He told himself it was just pity. He refused to believe just yet that it was honest friendliness. But his excuse got weaker every day.

And now they were all praising him for getting them through Satham.

No, I don’t believe it, he thought.

His own thoughts interrupted him: Don’t or won’t?

He pushed the idea aside. What they’re doing–it’s not what it seems to be. Nothing ever is. 

By now the others had noticed Cillian wasn’t joining in. An uncomfortable silence hung in the air.

“Well,” Hydra started, “it’s probably about suppertime. I’m hungry.”

Silently Cillian grabbed a small amount of food and walked apart from the group. He could feel their eyes on him, but he didn’t care.

Naiya Dyani
          @naiya-dyani

(also I can totally relate to not finishing . . . this actually may be the first time I’ve ever gotten a full-length manuscript to second draft stage!)

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Naiya Dyani
            @naiya-dyani

@hope-mcclellan AAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I HAVE TO SEE MORE OF CILLIAN

MY HEART BURST IN THE BEST WAY

Hope McClellan
              @hope-mcclellan

@naiya-dyani

My brother is awesome. XD My whole family is. I’m so grateful God’s given me the supportive Christian family I have.

Yes, I do count all of my words off the page, I go pretty fast and mark every hundred in case I lose my place. I just find it so much more convenient if we’re going somewhere to stash my journal in my purse and write in the car. I’ve always written by hand, and it is such a comfortable, natural position with a pen in my hand and paper propped against my knees. It’s not the standard way for writers these days, but it’s how I roll. 😊

I said I had two pieces to share, but that one was really long and so is the other one so I think I’ll stick with that. XD

Naiya Dyani
                @naiya-dyani

@hope-mcclellan Are you copying them from paper to computer as you put it up here, or are you copying this from a word document you’ve saved it to or something? Because I DEFINTELY want to read more when you have time to put it up!!!

Naiya Dyani
                  @naiya-dyani

And hey, I’ll admit journals are far more transportable than computers and such! Plus they have a special kind of charm. 😉 I just (a) get writer’s cramp quickly and (b) don’t like it when my pen won’t go as fast as my brain. 😛

Hooray for supportive Christian families! My sister is an amazing beta, and my mom is great for talking moral issues over with and spouting to when I can’t contain my storyjoy XD. My dad doesn’t read my stuff as often (mostly because I don’t finish a lot), but when I do, it makes me so happy when I make him cry XD XD

Hope McClellan
                    @hope-mcclellan

@naiya-dyani

Oh I didn’t see your last comment! Thank you so much!! That makes me so happy!!!! There’s nothing a writer loves more than to hear they’ve emotionally moved their readers.

So I copy down everything to a Google doc I have saved. This way I have a backup copy in case anything was to happen to either the electronic or paper version. Although Google docs seems a lot safer than Word. I lost more than one good piece of writing to Word, as much as I loved it and miss it. I am really behind on copying it down, though.

Aw, that is so encouraging that you want to read more! If you like I may be able to find some more to post here, but it will have to be tomorrow. I should be asleep by now. XD

See, my brain moves slow, so usually (usually, mind you, not always) it works out in my favor. But I have looked back and realized I have skipped words.

That so awesome you have a family that encourages your writing! I’m so happy for you! My sister is my cheerleader, I talk to her about writing all the time, and my dad is my biggest go-to for random information. I’ve had to ask him how you play backgammon (you read that chapter), yesterday I couldn’t figure out what the National Mall in front of the Capitol Building was called, and my favorite was a while ago when I came to him and said, “Daddy, I need help. My characters are stuck in a jail and I don’t know how to get them out.” XD He is the best, and so encouraging.

Anyway, I am off to bed! 😴 Good night!

Naiya Dyani
                      @naiya-dyani

@hope-mcclellan XD “My characters are stuck in a jail and I don’t know how to get them out.” That. . . is me! 😀 I sometimes end up begging for help from my sister, since the last thing I want to do is write an unrealistic out for my children. Can’t make life too easy on ’em. 😉

Tai: I would argue that point.

Dari: Your idea of “too easy” sounds pretty good to me. . . and surprisingly similar to the way life is normally supposed to go.

Kiet: It would be nice to be assured we’re all going to survive the book.

Kedori:  Preferably without major injuries.

Me: I . . . I can’t do that. . .

Grace: *gives me terrifying INTJ smile* I’m sure you could with enough encouragement

Me: eep

XD Anyway, good night! Get some good rest! And give those lovely children (fictional & real) a friendly hello for me!

Hope McClellan
                        @hope-mcclellan

And I also realized, that when I was telling you about Sarah at work, I used my real name, not my pen name.Hope McClellan is my pen name. My real name is Rachel. 😅 Don’t tell anybody! 😋

(And anyone who might read this post, don’t you share either!)

Hope McClellan
                          @hope-mcclellan

@nayia-dyani

Oh my word too funny 😂. Your characters are great, although my favorite part is probably your eep. 😉

All right, seriously, I’m going to bed. 😂

Naiya Dyani
                            @naiya-dyani

@hope-mcclellan *laughs deviously* I guessed as much! 😛 No worries! Naiya’s not my true name either. . . *whips black cloak over face mysteriously*

I’ll probably end up slipping up on here at some point myself. XD Most of the time, though, the fact that I review and edit my posts before I submit them saves me. Not from typos all the time, though, unfortunately. I’ll have to decide whether to use my real name if/when I start a website. Because I want to publish under my actual name, but you know. . . privacy until then. . . XD

Naiya Dyani
                              @naiya-dyani

XD Haha, good night!

Naiya Dyani
                                @naiya-dyani

@hope-mcclellan @anyone-else-available-right-now

Anyone up for a word war? 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 542 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest