fb

Spec-fic set after defeat of evil?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Spec-fic set after defeat of evil?

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Steward of the Pen
    @steward-of-the-pen

Hello everyone!

Have any of you read (or heard of) any speculative fiction that is set shortly after the overlord/government has been defeated? Since my newest fantasy WIP is going to be set immediately following a major world war, I would like to study what other authors have done with a similar setting—what they explored for themes, what kinds of conflict they stirred up, etc.

Also, if you’ve read any like this that were poorly done, I’d love to hear what you didn’t like about them and what you think could have been improved. Are there any cliches you’ve noticed with this sort of set up? (I’m not sure how much this has been done before.)

Thanks!

@daeus-lamb
    @josiah @jane-maree @j-a-penrose @taylorclogston @evelyn

Jane Maree
    @jane-maree

@steward-of-the-pen If you look at it the right way, technically Harry Potter is set after the ‘defeat’ of evil (only to discover that it wasn’t in fact defeated entirely at all). Other than that, nothing specifically comes to mind.

While I can’t think of many fictional examples, it might be a good idea to take a close look at the aftermath of the world wars, and how that effected everyone and everything in all sorts of different ways.

Writing Heroes โ™ฆ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

E.B. Raulands
    @e-b-raulands

This is a neat idea for a story! It’s definitely not a setting I’ve seen explored a lot.

@kari-karast
    , does the Star Wars Expanded Universe deal with this at all?

To the glory of God and for the advancement of His kingdom.

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

Oh!! Yes it does!! Thanks for tagging me @e-b-raulands

@steward-of-the-pen

So I’m not sure I can point you towards anyย specific books, but the Star Wars Expanded Universe/Star Wars Legends books… like half of those take place after the Return of the Jedi. So… the X-Wing series, it’s after Return of the Jedi, and they’re trying to retake Coruscant. And then after that… they’ve practically won and just have to defeat the remnants of the Empire. So most stuff immediately after that might work. Notย too far after though, because then a new evil comes etc. Also, a warning, some of the EU/Legends books are kinda mature. The X-Wing books especially.

Also, they were the canon before the new movies, so they won’t be related to those at all and are sadly noncanonical now. I’ve read just about everything after Return of the Jedi so if you have any questions about those just ask!!

Other than the SWEU/Legends though… I can’t think of anything.

"You can dance with my henchman."

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

@steward-of-the-pen The second book in Brandon Sanderson’s Mistborn series, The Well of Ascension, does this quite well IMO. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@steward-of-the-pen All I can think of is the last couple chapters of The Return of the King. xD

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

I secondย The Well of Ascension!!!ย (But don’t you dare only read that book. You have to read the whole trilogy.)

๐Ÿ˜€
    ๐Ÿ‘•๐Ÿ‘
    ๐Ÿ‘– ๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข

Steward of the Pen
    @steward-of-the-pen

@jane-maree @e-b-raulands @kari-karast @josiah @daeus-lamb

Thanks all! I’ll look into those soon.

@evelyn
    Yep, that’s all I could think of too. xD I’m kind of surprised this sort of setting isn’t more common, but I guess it’s not the most natural place for conflict. It’s perfect for my story’s themes though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest