fb

Something called hope*writers

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Something called hope*writers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Aislinn Mollisong
    @aislinn-mollisong

Hi everyone! So, I don’t know if this really needed its own topic but I couldn’t find anything else resembling it and didn’t want to spam or be off-topic.

Soย  a couple of days ago I got some emails from something called hope*writers that I’d signed up for some webinar thing. The emails looked kind of weird, a good amount of typos and nothing was really capitalized or punctuated correctly. Also, it used my real name, which I never use to sign up for anything. I can’t remember ever even looking at this site. I looked it up, of course, and I can’t tell if its legitimate or not.

So has anyone used or heard of this site before? Do you think I maybe just accidentally signed up for whatever the thing is and forgot?

Hero with an overactive imagination

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@aislinn-mollisong

I’m signed up to their emails too. They aren’t bad or anything – at least from my experience. My aunt joined, and she loves it. I only read their emails though, so I dont know completely.

I’m guessing you signed up for something with your real name… but honestly, I’m not really sure as I don’t work with them personally.

Anyways, I hope this helps!

Courage, dear heart ~ Aslan

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@aislinn-mollisong

Hi! First, sometimes scammers use a legit site’s name and change it a bit in the sent email address to “fake it” – so perhaps you may want to see what email address it was sent from? Second, if you did not subscribe to this in your real name and if they somehow got it addressed to your real name in their emails to you, perhaps a third party either sold or gave your personal information to them (which is not good, but it sometimes happens, since I think most people do not read the “Privacy” and “terms and conditions” policies due to their legal wording and lengths). And maybe you want to check if someone you know subscribed to the site for you? If that is not so, I’d definitely not trust the emails/source and just mark it as “Junk/Scam.” I do NOT recommend clicking on any of their links/sites/open up images/attachments because they may contain viruses/etc or malware that can damage your system (without your knowing it).

One last note, most legit subscribe services/sites first send a confirmation email to the email address they’ve received asking if 1) this email is legit and 2) if you as the owner of your email actually subscribed and 3) if not, they’d ask in the email for you to “unsubscribe” or “ignore this and it will expire” (or something like that).

If the emails you’ve been receiving did not first send you a confirmation request (from the same sender email address), I’d deem it suspect for sure and just put in your scam folder. ๐Ÿ™‚

Let me know if this helps!!

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." ~Th.Jefferson

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

P.S. One last note, even if the site is legit, I’d definitely doubt the organization’s ability to “teach” writers when their emails have typos ๐Ÿ˜›

Just sayin’ ๐Ÿ™‚

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." ~Th.Jefferson

Evelyn
    @evelyn

Iโ€™d second everything @pursuewisdom said! Donโ€™t click on any links, especially since you donโ€™t remember signing up, and mark it as spam.

You donโ€™t want to accidentally install a bug on your computer. ๐Ÿ˜›

Aislinn Mollisong
    @aislinn-mollisong

@evelyn @pursuewisdom @bama-rose Thanks for the help! Turns out my mom signed me up for it and forgot to tell me . . . -facepalm-

Hero with an overactive imagination

Evelyn
    @evelyn

lol great! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‚

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest