So I have a Christian WEBTOON now…

Forums Art Art Discussions So I have a Christian WEBTOON now…

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Karla Van Der Berg
    @blueberry

Hi,

I am one of those users who is dead until they need to shamelessly self promote something. (I am so sorry, but I am desperate.)

https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/culture-shock/list?title_no=352129

So I made a WEBTOON that’s about to finish its first major arc. It’s a Christian WEBTOON that’s based on the struggles I felt as foreign kiddo growing up in the south and also my beef with Christian media. (Mainly movies and books.)

I do have to warn you that it’s a little graphic, and not for the faint of heart since I like my stuff a little dark~

Taylor Clogston
      @taylorclogston

I’ve only read the first two chapters, but I love it so far! Reminds me of the kinds of webcomics I loved in high school and that I always wanted to make.

Definitely want to warn any passers-by there’s definitely R-rated language and comment. I’m personally happy to see it in a Christian work, but most people on here probably will want to stay away =P

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Karla Van Der Berg
      @blueberry

Whoops, didn’t think about that, should probably edit that if possible, but thank you! ^_^

The Fledgling Artist
        @the-fledgling-artist

I might opt to skip reading as I prefer to avoid overly dark things, but I wanted to pop in anyway and congratulate you because I know making a webcomic is an insane amount of work. 😅 I wish you the best as you continue!

As one who is interested in this sort of thing, i’d love to hear a little about your experiences in starting your webcomic. How long have you been working at it? Has there been anything unexpected you’ve encountered in using a hosting site like Webtoons?

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Karla Van Der Berg
        @blueberry

@the-fledgling-artist I have been working on it since late summer, though I had the story idea for years and made various written drafts over the span of almost a decade.

Honestly WEBTOONs is a good platform, and an easy way to get an organic  following if you are dedicated and produce something that isn’t too niche. There in lies my problem. I am making a dark/religious comic, that’s something I really want to see more of and never understood why people didn’t do it…now I get it. What I am making is a niche, a niche probably nobody asked for and doesn’t want. However I love my story and will keep doing it regardless.

I think if I played it safe and made a comic that was less niche and more pandering to the WEBTOON demographic, aka romance manga fans looking for cool stories with fun gimmicks…I would have had a significantly larger following. Though I think I would have had even less of a following had I just made my own site or  posted it onto the abyss that is Deviant Art.

All I can say is I would recommend staying as far away from a niche thing as a first major project  as possible unless you are absolutely bent on doing it. Be different yes, but if you are too different then your comic will be more a labor of love for yourself than something that will bring in the followers or the dough. (Like what I am doing.) Once you get the recognition then get all experimental if you can help it.

Also your drawing wrist will hate you until it finally strengthens enough to keep drawing at an intense pace. Also in order to keep up with updates you will have to become a pro at multitasking, like watching tv and drawing, or listening to lectures while coloring. Comic making almost becomes a lifestyle -no- state of existence. XD Just like a workout routine though, if you miss an update it will fill icky to try and get back on track, but don’t ever give up!!! ^_^

DeepRun
          @deeprun

@blueberry

I did read it all.  I thought the idea and premise was fascinating.  I honestly have never seen anything like it.   Please take that as a compliment.  I find cliche nauseating.

You said you now know why you’ve never found a dark/religious comic.  Why is that?

Also, I raise my digital stylus high in respect to anyone who can do that much hardcore linework.  I painted too long before I made the switch and lines still elude me.  Do you actually draw it in the platform or load it up onto it?

You do not have a soul. You have a body.
          You are a soul. - C.S. Lewis

Karla Van Der Berg
          @blueberry

@deeprun
            Oh gosh, you really have me on the brink of tears here. Thank you, I appreciate that so much. As for the whole I know why now, what I  meant is that it’s hard to break the mold and create an audience from scratch. People like what’s familiar and it can be hard to market it. Especially since I deal with subject matter that might step on toes. I don’t shy away from controversy but in turn that puts some people off. Sorry if it was vague and melodramatic. ^_^’

Also I draw on iPad pro’s procreate and upload it onto the platform. 🙂

DeepRun
            @deeprun

@blueberry

My best friend and I have a two year long conversation based on safety and freedom.   It’s so much easier to stick with “safe” things.  That’s a fairly concrete thing but…. Well, it’s blah. Boring.  Mundane.  Etc, etc, etc.

Based on the two year conversation, we’ve been working diligently on getting deeper and deeper into the “why” of those things.  Searching for more.  In light of all that… I’ve come to believe that the holiness God calls us to is a lot scarier, wilder, and more alive.  Making us look like a three legged cheetah behind bars watching the Serengeti.

A lot of those thoughts and conversations actually sparked my current wip.  That and reading Eric Metaxas’ biography of Luther and Bonhoeffer.  But again, serious kudos to you for taking that spark and finishing it.  That’s a song well sung.

You do not have a soul. You have a body.
            You are a soul. - C.S. Lewis

Karla Van Der Berg
            @blueberry

Well thank you, I never liked playing things safe either but at the same time it felt like it’s always been my downfall. Everything I write is always super niche and against the grain, which tends to be a hard sell. I had friends who had better like making something mainstream but then twisting a few tropes and making something new out of something old rather than a complicated rat’s nest of narrative. So I was thinking of trying a simple story like that, but this comic’s been so close to my heart I couldn’t resist the call to make it. Don’t know if it’s from God, since I hate to justify my actions with the “God Card” because I really  am not 100% sure. However I will nurture this spark the best I can and I can do something spectacular with it. ^_^

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest