fb

*Smiles shyly*

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself *Smiles shyly*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Hello!

I’m Emma, and as a writer, I’m a little root in the ground compared to some of the mighty oaks here. (or maybe just an acorn with a little sprout peeping out haha!) This new world of crazy people putting their ideas onto paper through words is slightly unsettling…but I think I like it. 🙂

I began to write poetry last year when I read some poems by Erin Hanson. (e.h.) I’ve always wanted to be a writer–probably because reading books compromises quite a large part of my life. 😀 Books have always been better than movies for me. I would rather read a book than watch a movie any day.

Right now I am working on the beginnings of my first novel.

My favorite authors/books are Rolf and the Viking Bow by Allen French, Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien, The Drovers Road Collection by Joyce West, Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters, Emily of New Moon Series by L.M. Montgomery, The Green Ember Series by S.D. Smith, and Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis.

My favorite poets are Robert Frost, L.M. Montgomery, R.J. Rushdoony, A.A. Milne, Erin Hanson, (e.h.) J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and Amy Carmichael.

In addition to being a book drunkard, as L.M. Montgomery puts it, I am pursuing a side career in piano performance, (another huge chunk of my life is spent on the piano haha!) teaching piano, preparing the best I can for being a wife and mother, hanging out with my siblings, singing, cooking and baking, participating and helping at my OPC church, and working on my art skills.

Spreading God's love until I can see seven billion smiles. 🙂 https://sevenbillionsmiles.home.blog

Elizabeth
    @elizabeth

Hi, Emma!

Wow, I love that little metaphor there! I can assure you, you’re not the only little root here, and the big oaks are more than willing to help you out! I’ve learned a lot from them, and I’m sure you will too. 😉

How long have you been playing piano? I’ve always wanted to learn how to play, but I just play guitar.

INTP. Writer of fantasy and sci-fi. Wannabe artist. Anime geek. Merakian.

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

@emma-starr Hi! My assistant, Aberdeen the Authorosarus (he’s an ink-drinking, book-eating dinosaur) is glad to meet you! 🦖😃

I love baking and drawing too. What medium do you prefer to use? I use colored pencil and acrylic paint.

I think dinosaurs are cooler than dragons. 🦖

Sam Kowal
    @sam-kowal

@emma-starr Hi 😀

Books are better than movies in my opinion, too. Books have that soul to them…

Lord of the Rings! and Narnia! Those are some of my favorite books. Of course, they are a lot of people’s

I wish that I could play the piano, actually. That sounds pretty cool that you want to have a side career in that. Maybe I will start learning soon

*nom, nom, nom* *eats donuts*
    Oh, are you hungry? *begins weeping*
    I would have saved you one!

Brianna Storm Hilvety
    @briannastorm

@emma-starr *Returns the shy smile* Welcome to Story Embers! 🙂

What a beautiful metaphor you’ve written! And I have to agree that books are way better than movies. 😉 Which of the Narnia chronicles is your favorite?

@elizabeth haha! Thank you! I am hoping I will learn a lot. That’s neat that you play guitar! Do you play classical or the chord type?  My little brother plays classical guitar. (It is one of the most beautiful instruments to hear played, in my opinion–good choice!) I have respect for anyone who has stuck with an instrument; it demonstrates a strong virtue of self-discipline.  I’ve played piano for 6 years, which is not very long, but I’ve been working hard to make up for my lack of experience. 🙂

@mariposa
    Hello! I am pleased to meet both you and Aberdeen. *winks at Aberdeen in a genial manner* Procrastibaking is actually what I enjoy most–the art of baking when I am supposed to be doing something else. Do you also enjoy this excellent way of using your time? 😀 The mediums I prefer (Or am least bad at,*ahem*) are watercolor and pen and ink. (usually pointillism)

@briannastorm
    Thank you! My favorite Narnia book…mmm…that’s a hard one. It would probably be either The Horse and His Boy or The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. How about you?

Spreading God's love until I can see seven billion smiles. 🙂 https://sevenbillionsmiles.home.blog

Ben P
    @supermonkey42

@emma-starr Hi! Welcome.

I love Narnia and Lord of the Rings, of course, but I’ve never heard of some of those other authors. Maybe I’ll check them out.

Do you write in a particular style/genre? I write sci-fi, fantasy, and contemporary fiction.

That’s a really cool quote you have in your signature! Very true.

The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think on

@sam-kowa Yes they do! I feel like movies can only be approached in one way–how they are presented, but with books, the reader imagination is the boundary. It’s so cool.

They are phenomenal. Narnia was my childhood favorite book, and now Lord of the Rings is coming to a close tie.

It’s really fun…except the agonizing hours of practice when it seems like you’re getting nowhere and you should really just go work at MacDonalds… *cough* That’s not fun at all. But I do love the whole process. And remarkably, the practices when I feel like I should quit are the ones when I come back and the piece of music is transformed. The process is so amazing in every way. I would highly recommend it. 🙂

@supermonkey42
    You should! They are absolutely wonderful.

I’m actually in the very. very, very early stages of a novel set in 1900. Stylistically it’s a bit like L.M. Montgomery. Small town, no crazy things happening, etc. 😉 I’m more experienced with poetry, though I have always wanted to write stories. What do you write?

Thank you! I love it too and am trying to put it into practice. 🙂

Ben P
    @supermonkey42

@emma-starr I mostly write sci-fi, then some fantasy and contemporary fiction. I’ve tried a bit of poetry, but I’m not really that great at it. 🙂

The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think on

Brianna Storm Hilvety
    @briannastorm

@emma-starr My favorite Narnia chronicle would probably be either The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe or Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I’ve read the books 4-5 times, but it’s been several years since my last rereading, and I experience a funny little homesick feeling when I think about it. That series got me hooked on fantasy. 😉

Gabrielle Pollack
    @gabriellepollack

@emma-star A thousand welcomes! I’m so excited you’re working on your first novel! 😀 Finishing that first story is a feeling I don’t think I’ll ever forget.

What are your favorite piano songs? I play a bit here and there. 🙂

@supermonkey42 Neat!! What’s your current WIP? (I honestly have no idea how good I am at poetry…it kind of fluctuates between, “Wow! I am so awesome!” and “If someone reads this and knows it’s by me, I’m heading to Alaska.”) 😀

@briannastorm
    They’re all wonderful!! I have read them *cough* probably 20 times–I have given them a resting period because the book literally fell apart into 10 pieces with random pages missing and falling out. It was time to throw it away. I’m getting a new copy soon, but it’s going to take a bit to get over throwing away a childhood favorite. 🙁

Narnia got me hooked on fantasy too. I’ll never be the same. Have you ever wondered what you would be like if you hadn’t read Narnia?

@gabriellepollack
    Thank you!! Well, it’s making me realize how much I didn’t know about writing. I have been researching story theory though and reading a bunch of articles on everything that has to do with story writing. (From Kingdom Pen, Story Embers, and K.M. Weiland)

Ahhhh…Ravel… He’s my favorite composer. I can’t tell you what my absolute favorite piece is, but I’ll give you a few stellar works that I love.

Chopin Bolero

Mozart Concerto No. 23 (Listen to the middle movement at 11:33–amazing!!)

Pictures at an Exhibition

And the Ravel– Alborada del Gracioso 

What are your favorites pieces? I’m working on the Opus 79 Beethoven Sonata right now; what are you playing?

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

@emma-starr I like procrastibak—uhem—I mean baking, too. 😉 What’s your favorite thing to bake? 🙂

I think dinosaurs are cooler than dragons. 🦖

@mariposa That’s a hard one…usually I bake because I’m craving something and I have the energy to actually work for it. 😀 I think I like baking and decorating cakes the best. How about you?

Lady Iliara
    @lady-iliara

@emma-starr I know what you mean about Narnia. It feels like it influenced the very way I think, even how I used to play as a child (though my “British accent” was really weird 😆). My favorite book is probably either The Horse and His Boy or the Dawn Treader, though I’m very fond of The Last Battle as well. More so than when I was young. 😀

ENFJ, Aethasian, and chocolate-Pringle-nerd-blob of epic. Greet at your own risk. *trips on a rock*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest