fb

*slams door in the face of a toothy cow* Hello!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself *slams door in the face of a toothy cow* Hello!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Steward of the Pen
    @steward-of-the-pen

Hello everyone!

When I stumbled across Kingdom Pen a few months ago, I was so excited I couldn’t sleep! For weeks I viciously devoured as many articles as I could and eventually ended up here. Now I’ve made an account at last, and I can’t wait to get started!

First, I’m a crazy, crazy book person, and everyone knows it. My bookshelf is literally overflowing, and probably 80% of the books I’ve read came from the library. I also don’t just read, I REread. My favorites have been read so many times that I lost track after I ran out of fingers. The hardest question for me to answer is probably what my single favorite book is, but if you want to know my top few, they are listed on my profile page. It will take too long to write them all out again ๐Ÿ˜€

I’ve also been writing stories since I was old enough to hold a pen. They started out with horrifyingly unrealistic pictures, random scenes with no plot, and abominable spelling. I am glad to say that, even though I have a long way to go before publication, I have improved a lot since then! Although I’ve tried many times, I can’t seem to manage writing about humans, so my stories are dominated by talking animals. My latest book was about a cat and dog who were enemies, but who became friends through hardships and the dog’s sacrifice. However, I felt as if talking animals in a regular world were too childish, and I wanted to write more advanced YA fiction. A few months ago, I suddenly had one of those light bulbs in bed (those annoying ones that make it so you can’t go to sleep) and realized that what I really wanted to do was write fantasy.

I’m a homeschooler with the goal of getting published before I graduate from high school.

My favorite subjects are English/writing (obviously…) and Logic (I am a fantasy writer. All fantasy writers are crazy. Therefore, I am crazy. You know, that kind of stuff.). I’m not particularly good at art (although Iย can draw really good logs…) and I like to sing, but I only do it when I know I’m home alone. And the windows are shut.

I also enjoy horseback riding, photography (especially macro and low-light), listening to Rend Collective, making story charts for the books I’ve read, trying to fit as many alliterations into my writing homework as possible (my record was seven in a single paragraph), and correcting bad grammar on the backs of bread bags.

I am the owner of a naughty bottle-chasing parrot who gives sweet kisses and throws temper tantrums when she doesn’t get her tortilla chips.

I love wolves, but I’m afraid of sheep. Go figure.

I’ve also decided that the world has had enough wargs and werewolves. It’s time to have some wolves thatย aren’tย evil, for once! I just started writing the first book in a series called the Alpha Saga, which is set in the world of Yelodria. It is a land inhabited by good (or at least mostly good) wolves, unicorns, the Great Alpha Yevlo (an eagle), and the evil Yelevid (I don’t want to give you nightmares, so I won’t describe what kind of creature he is).

I chose the username Steward of the Pen because my mission is to use my gifts by writing stories that will bring glory to God and prepare people for the climax of the greatest story ever told – the one we are living right now.

I’ll be looking forward to hearing from you, and in the meantime I’ll be dreaming about this crazy, messed up world after it’s been fixed, or reading stories about other crazy, messed up worlds that have been fixed, or fixing my own crazy, messed up world. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m so excited to meet you all, happy writing, and please watch out for the Toothy Cows of Skree!

*scampers off to Yelodria to collect more lorvilberry ink*

~Steward of the Pen

P.S. Are there any homeschool graduates out there? Were there any particular curricula, online classes, or workshops you took that helped? Where did you go to college and what did you major in? If you could point me in the right direction, I’d be grateful! ๐Ÿ™‚

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

I’m a homeschooler too, and I love Wingfeather!

Your story is yours and no one else's. Each sunset is different, depending where you stand. -A. Peterson

Evelyn
    @evelyn

Did I hear someone say “toothy cow”??? *gasps and spins around*

Did I also hear someone say “homeschooler” and “logic”? *jaw drops*

Hi @steward-of-the-pen! I’m Evelyn. I’m a homeschooler who loves the subject of logic and is positive she is crazy and doesn’t care – cause the crazy people are the people that are the best to hang out with. I don’t remember a time I didn’t want to be an author. Before I could write I would tell stories aloud to go with the pictures in my books and I still find scraps of paper from when I was really little with stories about two sentences long with many spelling-mistakes. My writing has grown since then.. (well except the spelling mistakes – those are still there. =D )

I’m not very good at drawing but I can draw a pretty good elephant… that’s it though.

I like your mission and your writing goal sounds great, and you’re world sounds really interesting!

Well, I have a question for you, would you still like a wolf if you were stuck in a room with it and it was feeling hungry for human? Would you prefer that over sitting in a meadow with a sheep grazing nearby? Well watch out for toothy cows and flabbits. I’ve heard they have been increasing in number along the path toย Yelodria.

Aimie
    @ajaj2000

@steward-of-the-pen

Hey, Pen (can I call you Pen? :P)

I’m Aimie ๐Ÿ™‚

I too started writing by drawings.

I’m also homeschooled but I went to a publicย and a private school beforehand.

Mind going into your story with deeper detail? Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m working on two fantasy stories called The Key of Solaris and For Feynor they’re both on my profile if you want to know more ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope you have a good time here ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous

@steward-of-the-penย  When you said what you did about your mission being to use your gifts by writing stories that will bring glory to God and prepare people for the climax of the greatest story ever told – I started to cry.ย  I think a lot of us here feel that way.ย  I know I sure do!ย  I write almost entirely historical fiction (I love history!) and I am an artist too.ย  And I love to sing!ย  I totaly get what you said about not being able to sleep when you found KP.ย  I was the same way!ย  I had always wondered if there were other writers like me out there who wanted to write well for God’s glory.ย  I love KP, and I love it here as well.ย  Your WIP sounds neat. I am homeschooled, but I have not graduated yet.ย  How old are you?ย  I am fifteen.ย  Okay, I will stop rambling and let you get a word in edgewise. ๐Ÿ™‚

Parker Hankins
    @parker

I’m homeschooled!

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

Steward of the Pen
    @steward-of-the-pen

Hi everyone! (and sorry for the late response)

@neutrobolt nice username! I’m probably going to start calling this place Emberia now ๐Ÿ˜€

@evelyn
    another crazy homeschooled logic lover??? *gasps* Have you studied both inductive and deductive? Which do you like better? I think I like deductive better, but it is really fun to find logical fallacies in advertisements and conversations ๐Ÿ˜‰ Have you learned about the Square of Opposition?

And yes…I’m constantly finding my failed attempts at stories. I also used to be horrible at names. One book was about a world where there were giant birds that lived in tree houses. The main characters were goldfinches and their names were Goldy and Finchy. The first and only sentence was “In your yard if you like birds you will find a lid covered with grass and moss.” There were many such stories. Some were just a blank document on the computer with the title “Bobby and Jane” or something like that.

Hmm…I think if I were given that choice, I would rather the sheep. However, if Iย wasย stuck in a room with a wolf, I could throw a book at his head and knock him out. Then I’d tie him up and when he wakes up tell him that he was a disgrace to the wolf kind, and that if he continued to act so abominably I’d send him to Yelodria where he would be charged for an attempt at murder.

I haven’t run into any flabbits, but a group of thwaps did try to take my lorvilberries the other day ๐Ÿ˜‰

@ajaj2000
    Yes, you can call me Pen! It must have been a crazy experience, trying all three types of schooling. The Key of Solaris sounds really cool. I’m considering writing a time travel book later on in the Alpha Saga where the characters try to go back and change bad things that happened in previous books.

Here’s my rough draft of a synopsis. It’s not very good yet, and the story itself is susceptible to major changes. I basically know what happens up to the end of the following summary and I know how it will end, but I’m not exactly sure about the middle. I have a lot of work to do!

Lotro’s only brother Dayetra is the pride of the Dahop pack and is ready to become the Alpha when his father Yerectoa dies. Because Lotro is a runt who walks with a limp and is afraid of almost everything, the rest of the pack either makes fun of him or pities him, but does not think he will ever be capable of anything but gardening. Everyone loves Dayetra and is excited about him being Alpha, but doesn’t seem to notice that he keeps sneaking off to the southeast end of the territory alone.ย 

Suddenly Dahop is attacked by the Loklab pack, an old and dreaded enemy. No one knows exactly how the Loklab wolves made it onto their territory, because the Yetut territory lies between them. The Yetut pack was originally a part of Dahop, but split off because of a feud. Because of their bitterness against Yetut, most of the Dahop pack assumes that their old rivals have allied with Loklab.ย 

Then Yerectoa takes Lotro on a long walk and talks with him. As they near the seashore, three Loklab warriors leap out of the bushes and attack Yerectoa. Lotro hides trembling in the brush. The Loklabs leave Yerectoa fatally wounded, and Lotro rushes out of hiding to get help. Yerectoa stops him to tell him one last thing. Dayetra has fallen into evil and betrayed them to the Loklab pack. No one but Yerectoa knows it, and he commands Lotro to do what he can to stop them before Yeath, the Alpha of Loklab, takes over Dahop and their ally Dalow.ย 

Yerectoa dies, and Dayetra is made the Alpha. No one will believe Lotro that Dayetra is evil if he tells them, so the burden of rescuing the pack is laid on him. With no one to help him but his deaf friend Dagi and a secret friend from the Yetut pack named Loya, he must find a way to prove Dayetra’s betrayal and Yeath’s plans, all the while struggling to accept his father’s loss of life and his brother’s loss of light.ย 

@ariel-ashira Oh wow, I didn’t know I could make people cry! I was so excited to find so many people who were passionate about the same things I am. My friends are supportive (i.e. they’re always begging me to let them read my books) but they’re not exactly enthusiastic. When I told one of them about KP, she said, “I’d suffocate.” No one I know seems to love writing just for writing.

Did you draw your profile picture? It’s really good! Don’t you worry about rambling. If anyone’s a rambler around here, it’s probably me. One of my assignments was to rewrite a story in three paragraphs (how in the world do you write a story in three paragraphs, anyhow?) and the paragraphs were two pages long each…

Speaking of which, I’d better quit now, or else I’ll never stop and it will take you a week to read my post.

So long for now!

~Steward of the Pen

P.S. Sorry if the tags didn’t work. I’m not exactly sure how to do it.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@steward-of-the-pen, I have studied both kinds of logic and I liked formal deductive logic better. I have gone over the Square of Opposition, my curriculum had me do that in the first semester and then move on to propositional arguments, truth tables, truth trees, and tons of fun stuff!! I really liked the second semester better! Here is what it looked like: ๐Ÿ™‚

^ So much fun!!!!

Well, if you ever get stuck in a room with a wolf I want to be there. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anonymous

@steward-of-the-pen ๐Ÿ˜€ Well, you now know that someone cried because of you.ย  But really, the day I joined KP and introduced myself, I was like bawling and laughing all day because I had finally found some real friends, which I had never really had before.

Yes, I drew my profile picture.ย  You like it?ย  I’m glad!

To bad that you can’t friend people on SE like you can on KP, or I would sent you a friend request. ๐Ÿ™‚

Gabrielle Pollack
    @gabriellepollack

@steward-of-the-pen Welcome! ๐Ÿ˜€ Writing from the perspective of an animal is something I’ve only tried once, but it was fun! ๐Ÿ˜€

I’m a homeschooled graduate :). Taking college classes from Cedarville Universtiy in high school was something I found helpful and fun. ๐Ÿ™‚

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

@steward-of-the-pen, thanks! You have a nice username too!

Your story is yours and no one else's. Each sunset is different, depending where you stand. -A. Peterson

Aimie
    @ajaj2000

@steward-of-the-pen

Hey, Pen ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m glad you find one of my stories interesting ๐Ÿ™‚ good luck with your own time travel book when you get there ๐Ÿ˜›

The plot of your book sounds interesting ๐Ÿ˜€

By the way, are the characters supposed to be “talking” animals or shapeshifters?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Aimie.
    Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

Hey, @steward-of-the-pen. In one of my worlds, Alprome, I have a forest where many creatures roam… but the tigers are the most populated creature there. This forest, the Cloudwood I call it, has trees with black, green, and teal bark. The trees’ leaves are fuzzy and white, almost like clouds too. And they contain a lot of moisture, causing them drop droplets of water.

And by the way, your animal world sounds interesting. Also, have you created a really interesting type of plant… like a giant meat-eating plant like a Venus flytrap or something?

"Muhahaha!"- Unknown Villain

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

@andrew, your forest sounds really neat!

@steward-of-the-pen
    , your story sounds cool!

Steward of the Pen
    @steward-of-the-pen

Hello!

I don’t know what happened, but I wrote out a reply to you guys yesterday and it never showed up.

Grrrrrrr. I hereby solemnly promise to punish computers, in some way, shape or form, in my next book. Any suggestions?

Anyway…

@evelyn
    I haven’t done what you have pictured there yet, but it looks fun! I just learned about mood and figure. What curriculum did you use? I’m usingย The Discovery of Deduction.ย It’s odd that I like logic so much since I don’t like math…

Hehe, if I’m ever stuck in a room with a wolf I’ll let you know ๐Ÿ˜‰

@gabriellepollack
    Thanks! I am looking into taking dual-enrollment classes, and that school was on our list of possibilities. Where did you go to college and what did you major in? (or are you still in college?)

@nuetrobolt
    Thanks! How’s your naughty dragon Vip? Please say hi for me ๐Ÿ˜‰

@ajaj2000
    The wolves are talking animals, but some of the evil creatures can shape shift into logs. Very stubborn logs that can move on their own and don’t burn. I call them the Logs of Opposition. ๐Ÿ™‚

@andrew
    Those are very creative trees! How many worlds have you created? I just have one now, but when I was younger I had one for talking cats and one for giant birds that lived in tree houses. I haven’t spent much time on plants yet (mostly the landscape itself) but I do have the lorvilberry bush, which has silver fruit. When the juice of the fruit is fermented it creates permanent ink. A Venus fly trap sort of thing sounds nice though. I don’t like bugs. And what’s worse than a giant spider?

Does anyone else diagram the books they read on story pyramids? I find it fun and I think it helps make plotting more visual and simple.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest