fb

Sketching With Ink

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Sketching With Ink

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@wingiby-iggiby @anyone (Here is another short thing… No where near a short-story, that is, it is a very ‘short story’. (: I hope you like it!)

4/2/20

Sketching With Ink

A young man stopped by an elder man’s booth. Sketches lined all the walls. All magnificent. All appearing to be done immediately with pen.

^  Did you sketch it out with pencil, and then trace over it with ink?

–   The wizened face smiled, eyes crinkling like old paper. No, all with pen.

^   Why? You can’t erase your mistakes?

–   Exactly. Sketching with pen causes me to take time. It teaches me about life.

^  How is that sir?

–  The pair’s gazes locked. When you make a mistake, you can’t erase it. It is there, and you are powerless to make it go away. You can try to smudge it with water; until it is only a pale impression of what it was, but it is still there. The picture is changed. A shadow will always remain.

Or, when you make a mistake, you can face it. You can recognize the mistake, and do your best to make it right. You can change that strange blob into something beautiful…like a cat, or a bird! It is still there; but you have made it right.

You can try to hide the wrong, and forget about it (even though a smudge will always be in your mind, even if no other notices). Or you can recognize it, and change it into something beautiful. No one may know that a mistake led to the final masterpiece; but you will.

^ The young man was speechless, looking into the pale eyes of the gray headed man. He than sat at the artist’s feet; waiting to hear more.

‘The fool doth think he is wise; but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.’

‘It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool,

than to talk and remove all doubt of it.’

‘It is the mark of the educated mind

to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.’

Jominkreesa

Passion = A Willingness To Suffer

Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@kimlikesart

That was beautiful! I really liked it 😀

I only sketch with pencil, and for the exact same reason: I can’t erase. I’ve never really thought about it that way, though. It’s something to think about and something to try.

‘It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool,

than to talk and remove all doubt of it.’

I can’t remember where I heard that quote before, but I really like it! Was it Abraham Lincoln? And I really like the other quotes you had at the end too!

I light the arrow, pull the bow,
    Shoot that fire right through my soul.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@wingiby-iggiby

What is one of your favorite sketches you’ve done?

My mother is/was an art teacher. Many months ago she had us sketch with ink and quill. A girl next to me accidentally dropped a blob in the middle of her beautiful sketch. But she turned it into a bird.

My mind ran with that and by the time I got home I wrote down the conversation I’d listened to in my brain. (:

The quote: Yes, it was Abraham Lincoln. (: One of my dad’s heroes…

The other quotes: Thanks!

What are some of your favorite quotes?

Jominkreesa

Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@kimlikesart

Hmm… If I had to chose one, I’ll say a drawing I did of the Wingfeather Saga is at the moment one of my faves. But who knows? Maybe a couple of weeks from now I’ll be like, ‘that is NOT good at all.’

And that’s so cool that your mother is an art teacher! 😀 Do you like to draw? I’ve never tried drawing with a pen and quill, although a long long time ago I think I wrote with one… Aren’t they scritchy?

That was so resourceful of that girl! I probably would have stared at the blob in amazement before saying, ‘what!?!? NO!!!!!!’ :0  And I love how you turned it into a story 😉

Yes! Abraham Lincoln was such a cool guy! I liked learning about him in history.

I have a lot of favorite quotes, some of which are:

Happy indeed is that Church whose members not only desire to reach heaven themselves, but desire also to take others with them. — J.C. Ryle 

I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,00 ways that won’t work. — Thomas Alva Edison

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. — Ronald Reagon

‘Cause now I’m knee deep in the water somewhere
    Got the blue sky breeze blowin’ wind through my hair
    Only worry in the world
    Is the tide gonna reach my chair. — Knee Deep, Zac Brown Band

I’ve got a lot of others that I can’t even remember, but if you couldn’t tell, I LOVE quotes. I just somehow can’t ever come up with one 😛

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@wingiby-iggiby

Happy indeed is that Church whose members not only desire to reach heaven themselves, but desire also to take others with them. — J.C. Ryle

Oooh, I like that one a lot.

I love quotes too! I have a billboard in my room that is covered with them. Actually, I ran out of room on the board and am paper-clipping quotes to the quotes… (:

I’ll say a drawing I did of the Wingfeather Saga

I’ve heard the ‘Wingfeather Saga’ mentioned a lot. What’s it about?

Do you like to draw?

Yes. (But I’m not good at painting…) (:

Aren’t they scritchy?

Scritchy is a good word for it. At first yes, but after a bit it gets easier. You just have to make sure you don’t get to much ink in the nub. (:

Did you know C.S. Lewis wrote all his books with a fountain pen?

I probably would have stared at the blob in amazement before saying, ‘what!?!? NO!!!!!!’

(: Me too.

Jominkreesa

Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@kimlikesart

Oooh, I like that one a lot.

Thank you! I really like that quote too 😀 And that is so funny about your quote wall! It is actually a really good idea, though — if you want a quote, just pick it off the wall 😛 If you wanted to, you could also make a “book of quotes,” that’s what I did. It’s really funny to see your own handwriting from a while back…

I’ve heard the ‘Wingfeather Saga’ mentioned a lot. What’s it about?

The Wingfeather Saga is this purely AWESOME fantasy adventure by singer/songwriter Andrew Peterson. It stars three siblings: Janner, Tink, and Leeli Igiby and their travels across the world of Aerwiar. They are running from the Fangs of Dang, terrible-lizard like creatures who stand as tall as a man and have venemous fangs and carry swords. They are the minions of The Nameless One, named Gnag the Nameless. He has taken control of almost all of Aerwiar, and plans to take control of them. You probably noticed I could go on and on about this epic Saga. And on. And on. 😛

Yes. (But I’m not good at painting…) (:

No, I’m not really either. I think the best I do is with water colors.

Did you know C.S. Lewis wrote all his books with a fountain pen?

No! Wow. He must have been really good at it.

@kimlikesart

That’s a really cool story. 🙂 It’s almost more like a parable, but maybe not quite that either, since that is more of a story illustrating a lesson. But anyway, great job!

Can I give a few suggestions? If not, it’s totally fine!

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. -JRR Tolkien

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@olivia

Thanks!

And yes, I’ll take suggestions. (:

(thank you for offering.)

Jominkreesa

@kimlikesart

(I’m sorry this reply is so late!!!!!! Some crazy things happened last week, so I wasn’t able to go on the computer and check my emails and such.)

You’re so welcome!!!!

And there aren’t a lot of things I noticed, but here are a few things that I think could be worked on or changed. (thanks for being open to suggestions! It’s a good sign in a writer.)  🙂

“The pair’s gazes locked.” This is a bit awkward wording, or it was when I read it. One way you could do it a bit differently but still mean the same thing is: “the two men’s gazes locked.” (But you don’t have to changed anything if you don’t want to, since this is just my personal opinion. No worries!)

“He than sat at the artist’s feet; waiting to hear more.” This sentence is fine, but the “than” you are looking for would be spelled with an e. In other words, you would want to say “then”, not “than.”

Those were the only things I really noticed, but other than that I really enjoyed that. 🙂 Good work.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@olivia

Thank you!

Jominkreesa

@kimlikesart

You are super welcome!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest