Similar authors? Help!

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Similar authors? Help!

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  R.M. Archer 3 days, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

So, I’m afraid I made a big mistake. I could use some recommendations (see below).

I have this free book I give to people who join my email list (see here: http://thescratchingquill.com/the-golden-ziggurat/). I’m planning to experiment with paid ads, driving traffic to that page. When people subscribe, I’ll market them a book. The hope is that the sales of that second book will pay off the ad costs.

BUT.

Problem. I’m not sure how to target my ads.

The glaring error is that, looking at my book cover (the one linked to above), if I were a reader, I wouldn’t immediately know what type of book it is. Thus, I might not click on the ad. Not good.

I have three options outside of getting the cover redesigned.

1. Use a background image for the ads that makes it clearer who this book is for.

2. Include the premises of the three stories in this anthology as part of the ad. I think this could help hook readers. I could also use text in other ways like saying, “This book is for readers who like such and such a style/genre/author!”

3. Find a reader group who would respond to my book.

This is where I could use your help!

Looking at the cover and descriptions, what type of reader do you think would look at this book and go, “That’s for me”? What authors/styles/genres do they like?

Taking another angle, with this description of my ideal reader, how do you think I could target them? My ideal reader is either Christian or non-Christian, teen to adult, into deep topics, loves action and adventure without being an adrenaline junkie and getting bored during more character driven scenes, reads fantasy at least somewhat, neither squeamish or gritty, a little unconventional, and…I should really know more about my ideal reader. It’s troublesome because The Golden Ziggurat and Other StoriesΒ reflects my normal style, but not my normal genre.

Thoughts?

@thewirelessblade @kate @dekreel @scarletimmortalized @josiah @rolenahatfield @piperbee @gabriellepollack @ethryndal @corissa @raemarie @bama-rose @r-m-archer @literatureforthelight @j-parkhurst @gabbyj @cassandraia @chalice @noahlitle @julianne @germaine-han @sesi @r-j-karas @rosemarylouise @msqueen8 @eden-anderson @other-people!

πŸ˜€
    πŸ‘•πŸ‘
    πŸ‘– 🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@daeus-lamb

(For once, I think I’m in time in responding to you :P)

Looking at the webpage link you supplied above, and specifically the book cover, I’m thinking of an Indiana Jones adventure… or maybe (to eliminate the cultural reference πŸ™‚ – historical or modern archeological-related adventure, with some mystery related to some ancient culture/myth. Those were my expectations when I first saw the cover (which, in and of itself, I think is very well done, but I’m not sure if it accurately reflects the type of story/genre and style of writing you are offering in the book).

Since I’ve very little experience in marketing books, I’ll let someone else (or a future me) address your second question. πŸ™‚

I hope this is helpful! What do you think?

"Holy wisdom is not clear and thin like water, but thick and dark like blood.” ~C.S. Lewis

Serenity
    @serenity

hm… hard to answer your question, and here’s why.

a couple months ago, I read your book and loved it. So I have a bit of an insider bias.

but, that said, I love the cover of your book and I think that your text is really good on the page. the only thing that I might change is how light and carefree your comment at the top sounds… I think you could go for something a bit more professional sounding, but that’s probably just personal preference.

have you not gotten any responses, or are you just launching the site?

if youre just theorizing about how to draw readers, I think the site is beautiful. (=

lover of our Lord, words, and music as his writing tools
    ENTJ
    LOVES COOKIES, KINVES, AND MUSIC!!!!

Germaine Han
    @germaine-han

This is a tough question. I think I would go with including the premises of the three stories since they’re all different genres. If I thought a book was going to be contemporary / adventure all the way through, I’d be very surprised when the stories switched to fantasy, then sci-fi. I think it’d be a really good heads-up.

MyClipboardIsMyViolin
    @myclipboardismyviolin

What I would do is this: You have three genres in this book. Make three ads, one that emphasizes the one story of each genre. Then take the ads to people who read that genre and push it to them.

(Isn’t that the point of writing a three-genre book anyway, to show how many genres you can write and how many tricks you can pull off? Extend that to the marketing.)

If you only want one ad, what is the genre of the second book, the one you’re trying to sell? *signs up for email list to find out* hmm, this looks like a Sci-Fi piece. I would target SF readers by emphasizing the SF story in the Golden Zuggerat and giving that ad to them. That way you have a better chance of selling your other book.

What I would have done is that I would have had three books, one for each genre for each ad, if I was going to do something like this. But yeah, that’s how I would “save the show”.

I think I would go with including the premises of the three stories since they’re all different genres. If I thought a book was going to be contemporary / adventure all the way through, I’d be very surprised when the stories switched to fantasy, then sci-fi. I think it’d be a really good heads-up.

That’s not how marketing works. πŸ˜› At least, on the Internet – everyone is ruthlessly categorized by interest and demographic, and that’s how ads are sold. Internet Marketing 101 is this: don’t market to everyone, market to people who buy what you’re selling. That’s how you make the bank.

(The only way you can get away with NOT doing targeted marketing is if you have something that the Internet considers Truly Unusual or Innovative, and a Christian Story Book is probably Not It. The Internet (aka The World) isn’t cool with our agenda. Old news.)

I think Mr. Lamb’s landing page – the place that that people go to when they click on his ad – explains the stories and the three genres included in his book. That should be enough.

(sorry, I took an internet marketing class in college and another certification through the Hubspot guys, the so-called internet marketing experts…you don’t have to listen. I prefer the “being truly unusual and innovative” marketing approach, just so everyone knows. πŸ˜› Sorry if this comes across as presumptuous.)

Sarah, Miss S, Sierepica_Fuzzywalker

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

I really like @myclipboardismyviolin‘s suggestion. I would choose one story/genre to focus on with this ad, add a short, punchy 1-3 sentence pitch between the title and “get your free book” button, and sell us on that story (and just that story). I’d then cut the pitches for each story at the bottom of the page since I think that’s distracting, and I’d change the author bio section since the quotation marks (at least to me) seems not to fit the tone of the page. Then, marketing-wise I’d market that story just to people in that genre.

Then, once you have one page down, you may want to consider making pages for the other two stories in the collection and focusing on just those genres there as well.

With all of this, I would probably make sure that the first story in the collection is the one that’s being marketed. So maybe you make multiple versions of The Golden Ziggurat so that the reader always gets the story they were marketed to in the collection first.

I really like the above-the-fold webpage design BTW. Very enticing and professional.

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@pursuewisdom Well, most of what I write is action and adventure, so that’s better than I hoped. πŸ˜€

@serenity Thanks. I was wondering about the comment part. I’ll have to work on that.

@myclipboardismyviolin Hmm. Neat idea. The fact that I currently have three stories in one book could make that quite the juggling act, so I think I’ll at leastΒ testΒ it as I currently have it, but that’s a good option to fall back on.

πŸ˜€
    πŸ‘•πŸ‘
    πŸ‘– 🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

Oh, another question.

For anyone who’s read this book, are there any authors you know who write similar books?

πŸ˜€
    πŸ‘•πŸ‘
    πŸ‘– 🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@josiah After thinking about it, I think I’llΒ just highlight my fantasy story and only target fantasy readers. Thanks!

πŸ˜€
    πŸ‘•πŸ‘
    πŸ‘– 🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

And this is why author groups are important guys!!! πŸ˜€

πŸ˜€
    πŸ‘•πŸ‘
    πŸ‘– 🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@daeus-lamb

By the fantasy story you mean The Golden Ziggurat? (Just to clarify, ’cause if so I have some feedback. :P)

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@r-m-archer No, I meanΒ The Diary of Nameless.Β 

The Golden Ziggurat, by the way, has been significantly shortened, tightened, and slightly modified for improvement. I’ll be emailing it out tonight, Lord willing, though you’re still certainly free to share any feedback.

πŸ˜€
    πŸ‘•πŸ‘
    πŸ‘– 🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@daeus-lamb

Ah, cool. I was going to say that shouldn’t advertise The Golden Ziggurat to all fantasy readers, but more to people who enjoy Aztec culture and similar, because I’m an avid fantasy reader and I wasn’t a fan of The Golden Ziggurat. (Though if it’s been edited further I might like it better now; we’ll see. Part of what threw me off was that I found the whole thing confusing, and I’m not sure if that was the story or the writing, and there was probably also an element of me just personally not connecting with it. :P) I’ll read over the new version when it comes out and 1) see how I feel about it now as a reader and 2) see if I can glean some insight on what sort of audience you might want to target. πŸ™‚
    But yeah, I thought The Diary of the Nameless was awesome, though whether that’s due to enjoying fantasy or being an author I’m not sure. At least for me personally, I think it was more the element of “Cool! This is what it would be like if my characters were actually sentient beings and had to deal with my writing schedule!” so for me personally the fact that I’m an author was more what drew me into it. That might be something worth considering when planning your marketing, though obviously it’s just one person’s opinion, just as something to know.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+Β readersΒ answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

Signup Source

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest