fb

SIFI world building problem

Forums Fiction Research and Worldbuilding SIFI world building problem

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Loretta
    @loretta

SO… I usually write fantasy, but I decided to try science fiction. (It wasn’t a completely random decision, I read a lot of it and actually, know a lot about it) I’m working on a story set in the future, 2999 at the turn of the century. England moved to Mars beginning in 2125 and finalizing it in 2130, then becoming Martania. My only problem is with how to include Christianity. I know that it would change over the years- just little things like how they celebrate Christmas etc. But how do I make that seem believable? Any ideas? (and please share any tips for worldbuilding a science fiction world!)

Loretta
    ~bookworm~daughter~sister~author~runner~

Evelyn
    @evelyn

Hi @loretta!

Christianity in the future… hmm. I can’t say of course what it will be like in 100s of years, 🙂 but here are some ideas of routs to take in write your story:

1. They only have online churches (maybe play around with the pros and cons of in-person fellowship?)

2. At Christmas time perhaps Christians try to travel back to Earth to celebrate?

3.  Missionaries in training now have to take really hard space survival camps as they are sent to planets to help colonize them?

4. Another thing to think about: on different planets, days and time work differently. So maybe in your book, there are no “Sundays” where people stop and go to (online?) church, so instead they just do it whenever they can. (Maybe play around with a character who is going through tough times and purposefully avoids free time so not to go to church?)

Anyways, there are some ideas, I hope this was helpful in brainstorming and set off a chain of thoughts and ideas. Your book by the way, sounds really interesting! 🙂

Good luck!

Loretta
    @loretta

Hello, @evelyn!

Thank you! You’ve given me some great ideas. I expecially like the Christmas and ‘online church’ ideas.

Loretta
    ~bookworm~daughter~sister~author~runner~

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@loretta Good I’m glad I was of some help! 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest