fb

*shy wave* Hi!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself *shy wave* Hi!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    UnicornTamer
    @unicorntamer

Hello, fellow Christian storytellers!

I found this website as I was researching if/how to portray evil in stories, and it has been such an encouragement for me! My desire is to be Christ-centered in all that I do, and that people would see Jesus shining through all my art. I hope to grow both as a follower of Jesus and as a writer here on this forum.

A little about me:

~ I’m a missionary kid (MK).

~ I recently graduated from university with a major in fine art and a minor in English.

~ I’ve been coming up with stories and writing almost as long as I can remember. I love writing in many different genres, but my favorites are fantasy and dystopian (with some romance and comedy mixed in).

~ My other interests include art, singing, collecting model horses (and unicorns, of course!), miniatures, and dance.

I’m excited to meet you all!

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@unicorntamer

Howdy! I’m Noah, glad to have you on SE!

~ I’m a missionary kid (MK).

Where do you do missionary work?

~ I recently graduated from university with a major in fine art and a minor in English.

Nice! What all does ‘fine art’ entail?

~ I’ve been coming up with stories and writing almost as long as I can remember. I love writing in many different genres, but my favorites are fantasy and dystopian (with some romance and comedy mixed in).

I also enjoy those genres. What’s your current WIP(s) about?

I’m a newbie writer (wrote my first prose some 9 months ago), but I’m enjoying the experience of storycraft immensely.

Oh, and romance and comedy are must haves. 🙂

~ My other interests include art, singing, collecting model horses (and unicorns, of course!), miniatures, and dance.

I have the highest respect for artists–partly because I’m quite awful at it. xD

I adore singing. Do you sing with others in an organized way, or do you just love singing in general?

What dance do you perform?

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@unicorntamer

Welcome!

I love writing in many different genres, but my favorites are fantasy and dystopian

These are a couple of my favorites, too (I mostly write fantasy and dystopian sci-fi). What do you like most about writing fantasy?

I sing, too! I’d ask whether you’ve ever been in choir, but I guess Noah covered that with his question, lol. I was also going to ask what kind of dance you do, but he definitely beat me to that. XD

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literature.

UnicornTamer
    @unicorntamer

I don’t know how to make the quotes less weird. ><

@noah-cochran
    Hello! Nice to meet you. 🙂

Where do you do missionary work?

I’m no longer on the field with my family, but we are based in Mexico. 🙂

Nice! What all does ‘fine art’ entail?

I do drawing, watercolor, oil and acrylic painting, though I’ve dabbled in other mediums as well.

I also enjoy those genres. What’s your current WIP(s) about? I’m a newbie writer (wrote my first prose some 9 months ago), but I’m enjoying the experience of storycraft immensely. Oh, and romance and comedy are must haves. 🙂

That’s cool! I currently have … *goes to check WIP count* … four WIPs I haven’t discarded yet. :p The one I’m working on right now is actually fanfiction (><), but I’m hoping to use it to reach a circle of people my stories might not otherwise touch, specifically with the gospel. 🙂 I love putting romance in my stories, but I find stories -just- about romance tend to be stifling. What are you currently writing?

I have the highest respect for artists–partly because I’m quite awful at it. xD I adore singing. Do you sing with others in an organized way, or do you just love singing in general? What dance do you perform?

Aw, thanks. All glory to God. 🙂 I used to sing with family as part of ministry, and I joined an all-women’s choir for one semester at my university, but otherwise, I just like doing it for fun. I can’t even read music. :p Are you part of a choir? I like swing dance, waltz, and free-style, though I just do it for fun also. 😀

@r-m-archer
    Hi! Nice to meet you as well. 😀

These are a couple of my favorites, too (I mostly write fantasy and dystopian sci-fi). What do you like most about writing fantasy?

I like the otherworldly elements that come with fantasy, and that’s why I like writing stories that take place in our world, but with fantasy elements. Expounding on the magic God has already created. 🙂 What kind of dystopian sci-fi do you like writing?

I sing, too! I’d ask whether you’ve ever been in choir, but I guess Noah covered that with his question, lol. I was also going to ask what kind of dance you do, but he definitely beat me to that. XD

😀 Are you in a choir? Do you dance?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by UnicornTamer.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by UnicornTamer.
    R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

I do drawing, watercolor, oil and acrylic painting, though I’ve dabbled in other mediums as well.

Ooh, nice! I love the look of watercolor, though I’ve never learned to work with it personally. The most visual art I normally do is some fashion design with colored pencils now and then; clothes seem to be the only thing I really have a knack for. XD

I like swing dance, waltz, and free-style, though I just do it for fun also.

YES! You do ballroom! Me too! I love ballroom dance. It is so much fun. Swing and waltz are a couple of my favorites, as well! Argentine tango is also fun, and I enjoyed the little bit of bolero I learned. (Unfortunately, I was gone for most of the month that my class learned bolero. :P)

I like the otherworldly elements that come with fantasy, and that’s why I like writing stories that take place in our world, but with fantasy elements. Expounding on the magic God has already created. 🙂

That’s awesome! I have a friend who likes fantasy for similar reasons and I’d tag him but he hasn’t joined Story Embers yet. XD It’s really cool to explore the somewhat fantastical features of the real world in a context where they can be seen and explored more fully!

Are you in a choir?

Not anymore. I was in choir for thirteen years before I graduated. Since then, I haven’t looked into finding a community choir to join (not yet, anyway). These days I just sing for fun, though it’s been rather frustrating to notice my range shrinking with lack of proper care/practice. 😛

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literature.

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

What kind of dystopian sci-fi do you like writing?

Whoops! I forgot to answer this question. My dystopian tends to be a little more sci-fi than dystopian, with the societal problems more subtly beneath the surface than a lot of dystopian and more emphasis on the technological advancements on earth. (Not a whole lot of space travel involved, since for some reason I’ve always had trouble with that in books despite my appreciation for it in movies and TV.) It often involves genetic modification, computerization, androids, a handful of cyborgs… Oh, and superpowers, since there’s also a bit of a more fantastical sci-fi element… They call it “magic,” at least in the early years, but it’s actually an organism that inhabits humans and provides them with supernatural abilities and long life.

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@unicorntamer

Are you planning to make money with those skills, or is it just a hobby?

That’s cool! I currently have … *goes to check WIP count* … four WIPs I haven’t discarded yet. :p The one I’m working on right now is actually fanfiction (><), but I’m hoping to use it to reach a circle of people my stories might not otherwise touch, specifically with the gospel. 🙂 I love putting romance in my stories, but I find stories -just- about romance tend to be stifling. What are you currently writing?

What work is the fanfiction for?

Agreed about the romance. I rarely read straight romances.

I’m drafting book two of my medieval historical fiction series called The Purging. Book one was my first official project (not counting the book I wrote right as I got into writing).

Aw, thanks. All glory to God. 🙂 I used to sing with family as part of ministry, and I joined an all-women’s choir for one semester at my university, but otherwise, I just like doing it for fun. I can’t even read music. :p Are you part of a choir? I like swing dance, waltz, and free-style, though I just do it for fun also.

Singing with church friends and family (and at church service of course) is typically how I do it. I’m part of a one-man choir called Noah the lone-singer Cochran. The choir typically walks around outside when they sing. 🙃

That’s a nice array of dance. You’re immediately more sophisticated if you do the waltz. 🙂 How hard is it to learn the swing dance and waltz?

UnicornTamer
    @unicorntamer

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this! I was on a trip and then I was busy.

@r-m-archer

Art: That’s really cool that you do fashion design. It can be pretty tricky for me coming up with different designs and patterns, so I often resort to looking up references. :p What style do you usually draw? Are these designs just for fun, or are they for story characters?

Dance: Yes! That’s awesome that you do ballroom, too! I learned a little tango once, but I remember hardly anything.

Writing: There’s really so much magic around us already – God is such an amazing Creator! Your dystopian stuff sounds interesting. Is this for one book or a series?

Singing: I really should practice, like seriously practice, but it’s more of a hobby for me, so I’m not going to stress about it. :p That’s awesome that you did choir for so long, though.

@noah-cochran

Art: I do want to make money from my art – and I already have been, but it takes a looooong time for artists to get established. I’m probably going to have other jobs as well for quite some time. :p

Writing: The fanfiction is for … a weird fandom that arose out of Minecraft. Never thought I’d be writing about that. :p There’s a lot of bad stuff in the original fandom, though, so I’m transforming it, making it my own, and trying to share the gospel through it.

Medieval historical fiction! That sounds cool. What’s it about?

Singing: Your one-man performance sounds fun. 😀 And the choir walking around outside sounds interesting. Kind of like caroling?

Dance: I really need to learn more waltz, as I only know the basic step and a really bad turn. The basic step in both waltz and swing are not hard at all, in my opinion. With swing dance there are tons of moves you can do (there might also be in waltz, but I don’t know it as well), but there are really easy ones to harder ones, and if you work your way up with a good partner and a good teacher, it’s pretty easy. Are you considering learning to dance?

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

Art: That’s really cool that you do fashion design. It can be pretty tricky for me coming up with different designs and patterns, so I often resort to looking up references. :p What style do you usually draw? Are these designs just for fun, or are they for story characters?

I use plenty of references. XD Style… Realistic, I suppose? At least, that’s the intention. XD There’s a mix of for-fun and for-characters. I started out focusing on characters, but after I decided I enjoyed design I started doing more just for fun as well. I also have several designs that aren’t for specific characters but are representative of popular styles in different areas of the worlds I’ve built. And some really aren’t connected to anything, like a couple of dresses I designed inspired by autumn trees and foliage last fall.

Dance: Yes! That’s awesome that you do ballroom, too! I learned a little tango once, but I remember hardly anything.

I don’t like American tango as well as Argentine tango; Argentine has a lot more interesting moves and it feels smoother to me.

Writing: There’s really so much magic around us already – God is such an amazing Creator! Your dystopian stuff sounds interesting. Is this for one book or a series?

Absolutely!

Thank you! It’s for a series. I have a whole timeline spanning thousands of years and stories I’d like to write for various eras within that timeline. Just haven’t gotten around to actually finishing many of them, yet. ;P I do have a couple of short stories set within that world which I self-published in a collection to set up some of the bigger events in the world. You can find the collection here, if you’re curious. 🙂

Singing: I really should practice, like seriously practice, but it’s more of a hobby for me, so I’m not going to stress about it. :p That’s awesome that you did choir for so long, though.

Yeah, it’s a hobby for me too or else I’d likely devote more time to practicing, lol. My sister is a lot better about practicing since she wants to be a professional musician (she’s actually working on producing an album). I just watch in displeasure as my range shrinks and don’t actually do anything about it. XD Yeah, choir was a great blessing! 🙂

UnicornTamer
    @unicorntamer

@r-m-archer

Art: That sounds awesome. Do you have a place where you share your art?

Dance: I don’t even know which style I learned. :p It was probably American.

Writing: That sounds very much like what I’ve done for my fantasy-ish world. I looked into the collection – I’m intrigued!

Singing: That’s cool that your sister is making an album! Maybe when the chance arises again, I’ll join a choir.

(Also, how do you do the nice quote formatting?)

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@unicorntamer

Do you have a place where you share your art?

Not really. I have some photographed in my phone because I shared them with particular friends, but I don’t consistently post my finished designs anywhere. (I have a DeviantArt account I created for following artists; I could start posting there if I wanted a place to share my designs more often.)

I don’t even know which style I learned. :p It was probably American.

Probably. That’s the “standard” tango.

That sounds very much like what I’ve done for my fantasy-ish world.

Yeah, exploring such a long timeline is a lot of fun!

I looked into the collection – I’m intrigued!

Thank you!

(Also, how do you do the nice quote formatting?)

I highlight the section of your post that I want to quote and then hit the “quote” button at the top of your post. Just make sure you’re on a new line in your post when you need to be, lol.

UnicornTamer
    @unicorntamer

@r-m-archer

Thank you for the quote tip! 😀 I look forward to seeing you and talking to you around the forum! (And let me know if you wanted to keep talking – I don’t always know how and when to wrap up online conversions like this. :p)

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

Thank you for the quote tip! 😀 I look forward to seeing you and talking to you around the forum!

You’re welcome. Likewise! 🙂

(And let me know if you wanted to keep talking – I don’t always know how and when to wrap up online conversions like this. :p)

No worries! I’ll usually talk for as long as there’s a conversation to be had, so I’m down for long conversations but I’m also content when a conversation naturally winds down/someone runs out of things to say. *shrugs* I’m pretty chill. XD

UnicornTamer
    @unicorntamer

No worries! I’ll usually talk for as long as there’s a conversation to be had, so I’m down for long conversations but I’m also content when a conversation naturally winds down/someone runs out of things to say. *shrugs* I’m pretty chill. XD

Well, cool. Thanks again. 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest