fb

Showing Internal Conflict

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Showing Internal Conflict

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Erynne
    @erynne

@rose-colored-fancy

Hi. I noticed that you put the broom away (and I secretly sent @this-is-not-an-alien in here to destroy it with a glitter bomb because she said she would only do it if she could use a glitter bomb and make Noah’s thread a beautiful glitter mess. Anyhow, brooms gone so I’m back)

I just had to come say…. THAT IS THE BEST WORK OF ART I HAVE SEEN FROM YOU! THE SUNSET AND THE HORSE AND THE DETAIL AND THE HORSE MY GOODNESS IT’S SOO GOOD I JUST WANNA HUG YOU

And I totally pictured you as a brunette too lol

@Noah-Cochran

Of course I gotta talk to you too 😉

Just curious… What do you picture me looking like? I need to know what kinda impression I put on you weirdos

Then I will guess what you look like *nods*

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

Well drat the luck. I mentally tossed a coin between you having blonde or light brown hair. I almost    went with blonde, but the dratted coin landed on hazel. My apologies for grievously mistaking your hair color.

LOL, the lighting makes it look lighter than it is, it’s actually pretty close to brown. You were close XD

If I drew a self-portrait…you know what, we won’t talk about how that would turn out.

LOL, that thought makes me laugh XD I bet it’d be brilliant XD

Not exactly. They’re more of a free-floater who believe in God, but they are sick of institutions, customs, and life in general (for reasons, this could change though, this is just my current thoughts on the character).

Hmmm, that’s an interesting thought. You do have to take their enviornment into consideration. I’m assuming they were raised Jewish, and at that time Jewish customs were enforced as law, since they essentially were law.

Besides that, because of the persecution, they would probably grow up seeing the Jewish community as a safer place than the outside world. Something big would have to happen to make that just as distasteful as the outside world.

If they were raised that way, they would probably see the customs as second nature, not as a burden, unless something big happened or he had a serious spell of doubting. And in the latter case, it wouldn’t be enough to completely cast them out of the community, as far as I understand.

Just my thoughts on how that might work, I’m curious to see how you’re going to execute that character! It sounds really interesting!

It’s just hard to flesh out your side characters when the book is stand alone and already has three main characters. xD Writing a trilogy with one main character gives one slightly more breathing room I would think, that’s my excuse anyway.   I’ll try to flesh her thoughts and feelings out some though.

Absolutely, it’s a big undertaking and it’s hard! But you’re doing great so far, especially for a first attempt. It’s lightyears ahead of my first draft of my first book.

You don’t even have to write all of it down about Delphine, you just have to know it for yourself. It probably won’t amount to more than a few paragraphs total in the final text.

You need to figure out her internal motivation for why she’s helping Tristan (besides that she likes him because that’s not a great excuse) and how her brother’s death changed things for her. If you give that event big consequences it’ll be more important. You have potential for interesting conflict there,

You mentioned that Robert was her father’s favorite and that he never got over his death. In what way? Did he kind of neglect Delphine and leave her to her own devices? Did he get overprotective of her?

Did Delphine try to earn his favor, did she cast it aside as useless and go on with her own thing? If the former, how?

That’s just a couple questions to get you started. You need to get an idea for yourself more than actually adding more material about her in the book.

She doesn’t need a full character arc or even a Lie (though that’s a good idea) she just needs some motivation for why she is like she is. That will go a really long way and use that potential.

That’s good to hear, because I was really quite uncertain about how much to do, and was leaning in that direction.

If you plan it out too rigidly it will inevitably become a mess when your characters grow and change and throw the outline into chaos but if you don’t plan enough you write yourself into a corner.

Either way, it’s always a problem you can fix, it isn’t very particular.

Hey, I can treat you like a erudite woman of knowledge and wisdom if I want.

Theoretically but I know like three things so you’re bound to be disappointed XD

I believe the Torah is the first five books of the old testament not the entire old testament, right?

… guess who mixed up the Torah and the Tanakh? XD The Torah is the first five books, the Tanakh is the old testament. You can tell I don’t use this terminology every day. XD

Hmm…are you sure? From what I could find, Jews mostly assimilated into their surroundings, wearing and dressing like the people around them. I know rabbis restricted some things some places, but other than that…I don’t know, I’ll look into it more.

It depends on time period, from my very brief research it seems like you’re right, but there were some rabbis in Germany in the Medieval period that were opposed, though it wasn’t enforced and wasn’t anywhere near common. It seems like the majority dressed the same. It was just something I remembered.

*quickly stops browsing medieval halloween costumes*

Of course not. No one would be that daft.

Just had to make sure 😉

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Hi. I noticed that you put the broom away (and I secretly sent @this-is-not-an-alien in here to destroy it with a glitter bomb because she said she would only do it if she could use a glitter bomb and make Noah’s thread a beautiful glitter mess. Anyhow, brooms gone so I’m back) I just had to come say…. THAT IS THE BEST WORK OF ART I HAVE SEEN FROM YOU! THE SUNSET AND THE HORSE AND THE DETAIL AND THE HORSE MY GOODNESS IT’S SOO GOOD I JUST WANNA HUG YOU And I totally pictured you as a brunette too lol

When did I say that? I mean, I don’t doubt that I said it just when…

Anyway *BOOM* MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA GLITTER EVERYWHERE YOU’RE WELCOME ERYNNE!!!!!!!

And @ROSE-COLORED-FANCY THAT PIC LOOKS FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

*also me, skims over page before to “catch up” cos I stopped reading most of this thread cos I haven’t gotten too far in Noah’s WIP and WHAT THE HECK SHE DIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drat.

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

*also me, skims over page before to “catch up” cos I stopped reading most of this thread cos I haven’t gotten too far in Noah’s WIP and WHAT THE HECK SHE DIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drat.

CATHY THIS IS WHY WE DON’T STALK!!!!! I wasn’t counting on anyone else reading it so I didn’t bother adding spoiler warnings!

@ERYNNE
    DON’T READ BACK!! YOU’RE GOING TO SPOIL YOURSELF!

When did I say that? I mean, I don’t doubt that I said it just when…

It’s too in character to make up XD

And ROSE-COLORED-FANCY THAT PIC LOOKS FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!! Y’all are the best 🥰🥰

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Erynne
    @erynne

@this-is-not-an-alien

Shhh you didn’t but you would so I spoke for you.

It was a secret mission that I made up on the spot  so I couldn’t actually tell you about it. You are one of my minions so you just know what to do I don’t have to tell you

I want you to try and guess what I look like too. I’m really curious to see how y’all imagine me. Also I’ve thought about asking my mom if we could email pictures to each other. Then we can see how correct we are on our guesses lol

Would you be interested?

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

CATHY THIS IS WHY WE DON’T STALK!!!!! I wasn’t counting on anyone else reading it so I didn’t bother adding spoiler warnings!

😭😭😭

It’s too in character to make up XD

Lol, Erynne made it up.

Thank you!!!! Y’all are the best 🥰🥰

Lol, I know 😉 *must also thank Noah for giving you the inspiration but I won’t tell him that*

Shhh you didn’t but you would so I spoke for you. It was a secret mission that I made up on the spot  so I couldn’t actually tell you about it. You are one of my minions so you just know what to do I don’t have to tell you

I thought you were my minion! 😕

I want you to try and guess what I look like too. I’m really curious to see how y’all imagine me. Also I’ve thought about asking my mom if we could email pictures to each other. Then we can see how correct we are on our guesses lol Would you be interested?

I’m not allowed to send those pics. But I’d LOVE to see your pics if it’s alright with your mom. I guess you are kinda short and curvy with straight/wavy brownish blonde hair and dark eyes and you paint your nails and wear makeup (yes I looked at your boards before guessing😉)

Erynne
    @erynne

@this-is-not-an-alien

We are each other’s minions depending on the situation.

I completely understand. My mom said she would be alright with it if it were mutual but not if it’s just me. Would you be interested in a quick video chat? You wouldn’t have to turn on your camera. As long as she could hear that you’re at least female lol

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Erynne.

Erynne
    @erynne

@this-is-not-an-alien

Wow. I wonder if Noah and Rose also think I’m short and fat smh

I will tell you how I look through Pinterest cause I want the other two to guess

I think you’re a tall thin blonde with bright blue eyes and shoulder length curly hair that you always straighten. You also have glasses and think you’re too tall

I am probably totally wrong since I don’t know your name. You were probably like “Erynne is totally a short and fat name” but I can’t be all like “Cathy is a cute blonde name” yet Im doing it anyways

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Erynne.

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@erynne and @this-is-not-an-alien

Listen here young ladies, you two have hijacked this thread like two street urchins, when you should be acting like proper young women. To make things worse, my tailored suit has glitter on it.

Cathy, as the elder, I hold you responsible for this breach in propriety, now bow your head in remorse,  and clean up this glitter.

Erynne
    @erynne

Wow now Im a short and fat street urchin….

I hang my head in shame but I promise to leave and never return if you wish.

As soon as you and Rose try to guess what I look like.

Then and only then will I dramatically exit and never talk to you EVER again. It’s been nice knowing you my dear friend Noah

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Listen here young ladies, you two have hijacked this thread like two street urchins, when you should be acting like proper young women. To make things worse, my tailored suit has glitter on it. Cathy, as the elder, I hold you responsible for this breach in propriety, now bow your head in remorse,  and clean up this glitter.

*blows razzberry and hurls another handful of glitter out of my pockets to cleanse you of your buzzkilling mien!*

Total street urchin, did you expect otherwise?

Wow. I wonder if Noah and Rose also think I’m short and fat smh I will tell you how I look through Pinterest cause I want the other two to guess I think you’re a tall thin blonde with bright blue eyes and shoulder length curly hair that you always straighten. You also have glasses and think you’re too tall I am probably totally wrong since I don’t know your name. You were probably like “Erynne is totally a short and fat name” but I can’t be all like “Cathy is a cute blonde name” yet Im doing it anyways

EXCUSE ME, WHERE DID YOU GET FAT OUT OF SMOL AND CURVY!?!?!!!!!!! Fyi, I’m smol and curvy too, if you’re going to insult yourself you’re stuck insulting me to and I’m sure we both know how that ends!!!!!

Oh, good idea with Pinterest, Rose already knows what I look like but I wanna hear Noah guess now 😜😈

(knew I wasn’t the only one who thought Cathy was a blonde name, although I picked it as short for “Chatty Cathy” and it’s white but the a is twinkly red)

Wait a sec, why do you assume I’m the elder, Noah? *insert mischievous grin of malicious glee that has no appropriate emoji to contain it*

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@erynne

@this-is-not-an-alien

I was gone for just a couple hours and this thread turned into chaos. XD Return to whence you came, glitter gremlins, and leave the boring historical nerds in peace! XD jk, I love having y’all here to spice things up XD

I guess you are kinda short and curvy with straight/wavy brownish blonde hair and dark eyes and you paint your nails and wear makeup (yes I looked at your boards before guessing )

Pff, I can’t say that matches up with how I picture you, Erynne XD

On the other thread I read you’re actually above average height but before that I did picture you as small and petite. Straight, medium length medium brown hair, maybe with bangs? Green or hazel eyes. Possibly freckles.

I’m absolutely basing this off that profile picture of your main character you had up for a while and I own up to it.

I think you’re a tall thin blonde with bright blue eyes and shoulder length curly hair that you always straighten. You also have glasses and think you’re too tall

I find that description hilarious since it was the absolute polar opposite of what I initially guessed XD

Erynne
    @erynne

@rose-colored-fancy

That’s how we roll *cue tongue click and wink*

Well your description of me is exactly how I pictured you XD Brown hair with bangs, probably Brown eyes, and small and petite.

I will announce what I look like as soon as Noah guesses.

Also @Emma-walker you would probably have fun doing this. Please, describe what you imagine me looking like

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@erynne

Okay, okay, I’ll do it. You have straight brown hair, a stockyish, tall build, and large hazel eyes.

Cathy is slim, shortish, bouncy in movement, has light brown hair (or maybe dark blonde), and coy green eyes.

That’s all I’ve got. I don’t really picture people as anything other than a normal looking person with their online personalities lighting up (or darkening I guess) their face.

@this-is-not-an-alien

Total street urchin, did you expect otherwise?

Of course I didn’t Cathy.

Wait a sec, why do you assume I’m the elder, Noah?

I’m fairly confident you told me you were sixteen or seventeen somewhere. Maybe not, but Erynne just turned 15, and you’re obviously not younger than that.

Erynne
    @erynne

@noah-cochran and @rose-colored-fancy

So Noah was the closest.

Okay, okay, I’ll do it. You have straight brown hair, a stockyish, tall build, and large hazel eyes.

The only thing you got wrong is my hair is wavy (but yes, it’s a dark brown) and I have really large green/blue eyes. This is the conversation I just had:

Me: “mom what does stocky mean?”

Mom: “stocky??”

Me: “yeah Noah says I’m stocky. Am I stocky?”

Mom: “yes.”

Me: “but what is it?”

Mom: “just yes, you are”

Me: “does it mean I’m fat?”

Mom: “no it’s like big boned”

Me: “so I’m fat?”

Mom: “No Erynne. Noah isn’t calling you fat”

Me: *mumbles* “he better not….”

I’m fairly confident you told me you were sixteen or seventeen somewhere. Maybe not, but Erynne just turned 15, and you’re obviously not younger than that.

So am I your favorite then? You can remember my age over hers so that makes me your favorite right?

Well… I guess this is it then… I said I would never speak to you again if you guessed how I looked, so I guess I’ll leave now. I gotta figure out how to delete my SE account then I’ll be gone. Goodbye Cathy. Goodbye Rose. Goodbye Noah. You were all very good friends and I’ll miss you all very much…

*National anthem begins playing*

*begins marching towards door with exit written above it*

*random person falls on ground and holds onto my leg* “PLEASE DONT GO 😭😭”

“I have to…”

*turns to you three standing behind me*

“for them. I made a promise, and I keep my promises. It’s better this way. Goodbye random person, you were a good random person.”

*arrives at door*

*music stops*

*one last breath*

*turns door knob*

“Erynne, don’t!” Shouts-

*door closes for me to never be seen again*

“no….”

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 116 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest