fb

Should you kill a character (This is a lesson-ish)

Forums Fiction Characters Should you kill a character (This is a lesson-ish)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

Okay, admit it. At some point in your writing journey, you’ve killed a character for the shock. You know you’ve done it.

You haven’t? Good, let me give you some advice. DON’T!

Killing a character is a pretty big deal. When you kill a character, you are taking a beautiful character, created from the be of your imagination, and RUTHLESSLY ENDING THEIR PUNY LIFE!!! If you’re gonna do that, you gotta do it right, right?

How does one do that? I’ll give you a list.

1. If the death of aforementioned character does NOT move the story (plot) forward in any way, then it was unnecessary.

It’s that easy, sort of a Rule of Thumb for killing characters.

If you follow this rule, you’ll have a great story and you won’t look like J.K Rowling. (Did Fred really need to die? NO!)

Have a lovely day! – Blade

*Forum Signature here*

Evelyn
    @evelyn

“When you kill a character, you are taking a beautiful character, created from the be of your imagination, and RUTHLESSLY ENDING THEIR PUNY LIFE!!!”

Lol! Thanks for this reminder! XD

Parker Hankins
    @parker

@thewirelessblade

I killed a villain because I had too many for a while. I needed him at the beginning of the story but as it progressed I didn’t want to keep up with a million characters. Do you think that is good or not?

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

I’d say yeah, that should be fine.

Good luck with your book! – Blade

Have yourself a little meme.

*Forum Signature here*

Parker Hankins
    @parker

@thewirelessblade, thanks!

I like the meme! Lol!

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

You’ll also avoid looking like James Dashner. *scowls at The Death Cure* I could rant about that useless death for so long…

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@r-m-archer

R.I.P., Newt. *distant sobbing*

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@sarah-inkdragon It doesn’t even bug me that he died, at this point; it bugs me that it was done in the most painful way possible for everyone involved and HAD NO IMPACT ON THE PLOT WHATSOEVER. Thomas didn’t mourn him for more than a couple chapters (when with the first death he mourned for a whole book and a half, so it was incredibly unbalanced), there were just a couple scenes that talked about it beforehand and if I remember right they didn’t particularly tie in with the rest of the plot… If he’d done it well I wouldn’t have minded, but it was ENTIRELY for shock value and it just makes me mad. -_-

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@r-m-archer

While I am sad Newt died because he was my favorite character, I totally agree with you on the author killing him off just for shock effect. It would have been way cooler if he made Newt survive,(him not being immune to the virus) to show that you don’t have to be “special” to win. (unlike all the other characters.)

- C. S. Lewis

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@sarah-inkdragon Yeah, that would have been cool. Or, if you wanted the stakes shown through a death, at least just make it impact the story and the protagonist. There are just a lot of ways that could have been executed better. XP (No half-pun intended…)

Inkling-for-Christ
    @inkling-for-christ

@thewirelessblade, I agree with you. Unless a character’s death moves the plot it is useless. Take Tris from Divergent. Personally, I feel that her death was meaningless and the characters really show that at the end. On the other end of the spectrum, there is Andrew Peterson’s Wingfeather Saga. Two of the main characters die and at first, their death’s made me mad and then I realized the Bible was being illustrated in it. (I won’t say much in case of spoilers). Even in my own WIPs, I’ve had characters die, and to me they were friends.

I don’t know about you guys, but to me, my “characters” are not my creations but my friends. They are not people I created but merely discovered. Think about your best friend. Before you met him/her did you create them? No, you met them. I feel it is the same with characters. I once saw a quote where the author if it said something along the lines of “a character is a friend you just haven’t met yet.” So where am I going with this? My point is that characters should be like friends and their deaths should impact the story.

INFJ, Child of God, wannabe author, writer, dreamer, fan of DR. Who, Star Wars, NCIS-LA

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@r-m-archer

I agree.

Execute. XD

- C. S. Lewis

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@thewirelessblade lol, thanks for the reminder! yeah I’ve killed off a character for no reason before 😉

ooh, you play guitar?

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
    www.jennaterese.com

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

Yep, that’s me with my Fender DG-6. I don’t like my haircut.

*Forum Signature here*

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@r-m-archer Execute… that’s great. XD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest