fb

Should I Leave My Guild??

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Should I Leave My Guild??

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@taylorclogston

Hear! Hear!

Thank you, sir, for this good advice. ๐Ÿ™‚ Make us Parimians proud.

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." ~Th.Jefferson

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@eden-anderson

P.S. I wouldn’t mind a bit if you wish to join my guild…

At all. ๐Ÿ™‚

And I’m sure our very own @evelyn would agree. ๐Ÿ˜€

(Sorry, New Wessex.)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by PursueWisdom.

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." ~Th.Jefferson

Cassandra Hamm
    @cassandraia

@eden-anderson I just wanted to apologize because I’m well aware that I’m one of the people who isn’t active. ๐Ÿ™ *hides in shame* I’m heavily involved in a writing community called the Young Writers Workshop, even have a leadership position there, so most of my time is spent on that rather than here. And I’ve found it hard to connect with people on here, and…well…I don’t really feel like I have anything to contribute. :\ I love Story Embers, but I don’t know how to connect. I apologize to you and to everyone for being such a horrible guild-member and being one of the contributing factors for your leaving, Eden. ๐Ÿ™ *virtual hugs* No matter what you do, I support you. If you leave New Wessex, I hope you find a community that is thriving and fits more of your needs. Do what is best for you. ๐Ÿ™‚

I crush readers' souls like grapes.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@eden-anderson

So I’ve been thinking about it more, and how to respond to the deadness feeling… because like you, Parimi Alca seemed to sag before the holidays.

First of all though…. @taylorclogston @pursue-wisdom Hey! I’m not the only one feeling this in our guild? Well, this is encouraging. ๐Ÿ˜€

@taylorclogston
    made a good point though… sometimes some topics would be better in a small area, while others would be better to share with everyone.

I’ve been think though, and wondering if it just comes down to the ups and downs of online relationships. ๐Ÿ˜› *shrugs*

Anyways, I’m going to try to get to the bottom of this…

*takes deep breath*

So, the deadness is probably due to the majority of people being busy with life and work. If you think about it, Story Embers started at the end of a school year and we basically all joined during the summer when we didn’t have school. We had time to spend talking and chatting and building guilds, and then school hit again. Perhaps that’s a big part of it.

And then the fact that all the guild masters are adults and have jobs and things to do. That’s probably a big part.

Perhaps another part is that some of the people here value their writer to writer friendships more than others.

So, if it is that some people are just busier than other or value it less, it seems like people that think alike – that have time and value this and all – they should be in the same guild. But then the guilds would be all off balanced. So it’s hard to figure this out.

@the-fledgling-artist
    Aww, that’s too bad. Even the artists’s guild is feeling it. But like you said, most of the people there are writers too. Seems unfair for your artists. ๐Ÿ˜›

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

And Iโ€™ve found it hard to connect with people on here, andโ€ฆwellโ€ฆI donโ€™t really feel like I have anything to contribute. :\ I love Story Embers, but I donโ€™t know how to connect.

That’s the core of my trouble with it, too. :/

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

And Iโ€™ve found it hard to connect with people on here…

I feel like some people and personalities in general are better at online communities and connecting with people.

It’s definitely a completely different experience than in-person relationships.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

And then the fact that all the guild masters are adults and have jobs and things to do. Thatโ€™s probably a big part.

By the way when I said that ^ I wasn’t complaining about Guild Masters only being adults. We need people who know what they’re doing. ๐Ÿ™‚

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@evelyn Commiseration!

> wondering if it just comes down to the ups and downs of online relationships.

Specifically online writing relationships. I’ve been a member of a ton of different online communities (many of which I’ve started), and the writing ones without question are the hardest to maintain. A lot of these other communities surround things that are either already a part of everyone’s shared lives (we all go to martial arts every week, let’s discuss stuff) or are things very easy to get yourself to do (we all play this MMORPG, let’s discuss stuff).

With writing? Lots of people want to write but don’t, and even many writers don’t write much. I’m guilty of this. I’ve not written much at all this month. I’ve read a ton, and I think like a writer every day, but a ton of that is hard to communicate meaningfully, and an actual writing community is one of the worse ways to do that. Not to mention, when weย doย end up writing something, how likely are we to turn that into meaningful discussion?

Gigantic writing communities like the various writing subreddits can get away with it through the sheer volume of users. /r/writers has ~24K users. /r/writing has ~640K. If only one half of one percent of those users are active each day, that’s still way more activity than our entire (relatively enthusiastic) community.

I dunno. In our situation, it will take a lot of effort to create meaningful community. And, like, this is hilariously prideful, but I feel I contribute a lot and don’t get anything back from the community. I love helping, but I don’t feel like I’m growing myself. It’s frustrating, but maybe I just need to stick around longer and connect with more people :-\

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@taylorclogston Yes, though I’ve only been in two online writing communities: Story Embers and a smaller one, which I both joined at the same time, so my knowledge and experience is confined.

What I’ve noticed is that the smaller one (private and about 15 people) is a rag-tag band of writers who the majority are mk (missionary kids) or just people who are in circumstances where they can’t have many friends.

We all have writing in common and are working together to build a world, but we get to know each other better because the conversation isn’t just about writing and there are less of us, which I think was the vision for the Guilds.

What I’ve noticed about Story Embers, is people are mainly here for learning to write, not for building a community, necessarily. I feel like that’s what set apart the people who are on more and feel a certain deadness to the guilds, and the others.

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@evelyn That all makes sense! Maybe we need a somewhat structured off-topic section in guild only? If people want to RP or post jokes or things like that, limit them to only their guildmates to force community interaction? That’s pretty limiting, though. (in any event, if SE is going to allow off-topic stuff I’d like it to have its own section rather than the General Writing subforum; it’s a pain watching for actual content only to see the RP threads constantly bumped to the top)

I feel like we need more mechanisms for learning in the guilds. I don’t think all of it should be on the shoulders of the Guild Masters to mechanically implement, because that’s a sure road to burnout, but maybeย requiringย at least a biweekly “here’s what I read, wrote, and learned” requirement for active membership would be good.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@taylorclogston Yes, the admin probably didn’t want to have any off-topic threads because they don’t want to get people distracted from writing, and I can see that.

The biweekly “Here’s what I read, wrote, and learned,” is a neat idea!

One thing we have to think about though, like you said, is not to put everything on the Guild Master’s shoulders. Perhaps it’s time that the guildlings who want a more active guild, to step up and take initiative somewhere.

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@eden-anderson

LOL! Yeah, I hope they would not take it that way. ๐Ÿ˜€ย  No problem.

You have a ton of good advice on here, and a lot of awesome thoughts. I am stalking this topic…!

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@eden-andersonย  First, don’t feel bad with whatever decision you come to.

Christmas hasย definitely contributed to low activity recently. Still, guilds aren’t normally as active as I wish they were.

For everyone who wishes their guild was more active, you do have the opportunity to change that. Of course, I completely understand that it’s hard to think of new topics to discuss every week. ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜›

As far as I know, Story Embers pretty much created the idea of guilds, so you all have been the guinea pigs. The guilds have really helped people, but I know there’s also room to grow. I’m going to be discussing this with my other guildmasters over the new year. We want to do whatever is best for you.

Keep these comments coming, everyone! They’re really helpful.

๐Ÿ˜€
    ๐Ÿ‘•๐Ÿ‘
    ๐Ÿ‘– ๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@daeus-lambย  Despite any kinks that still need to be worked out, I think all the other Emberlings would agree with me when I say that I’m very thankful to you and all the other Guildmasters (Plus Josiah too!) who have put so much effort into making this place so amazing! I hope we didn’t come off as too complainy. Really, thanks so much! This is an incredible resource for Christians looking to write and create for Christ. ๐Ÿ™‚

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

Also, I just had a really crazy (and possibly horrible, or even impossible) idea. What if there was some way for Guilds to have monthly (or bimonthly) live chats of some sort? Either a live critiquing session, or monthly recap, or even a Q&A session with their Guildmaster? I suppose it would be tricky for guilds with members on the other side of the world though. *coughAustraliacough* .. Idk. It sounds really unrealistic, but also so cool that I couldn’t resist sharing. ๐Ÿ™‚

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest