fb

Should I Leave My Guild??

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Should I Leave My Guild??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

Hey, I know the title of this thread sounds really bad and maybe even treasonous, but hang with me, please.

And if any of my fellow Saxon Scribes are reading this, please know that this is not an attack against the guild or you. I love all you guys and have had fun in New Wessex and learned a lot from ya’ll. And you did awesome on the word war!!!❤

So, as I said, this isn’t to shed a bad light on New Wessex, (I love my guild) but in my opinion it feels like us Saxon Scribes are…well…not really that active in our guild. Over half the people don’t even participate regularly and a few of the members haven’t been active at all on SE for over a month or more! That said I totally understand the time factor and how life and jobs and family and writing is more important then being on here.

I am wondering if that’s how it is for the rest of the guilds. Is that just the way it is or is New Wessex abnormal in it’s un-activity?

I joined a guild looking for community and fellowship, good talks and in-depth discussions, but to me New Wessex feels kinda dead. Especially recently.

Maybe it’s just a phase.

Or maybe I was just expecting too much from my guild.

Whatever the case I feel more community and encouragement outside of New Wessex then I do inside it.

We have had some really great discussions and I am really proud that we won the Word War. (Credit goes to @noahlitle @kate @literatureforthelight Ya’ll did amazing!) I have made some friends in New Wessex.

But still, I don’t feel like New Wessex is really a good fit for me. I want to see life and vibrancy and encouragement in a guild; of course a guild can’t fit all your writing needs. (Definately not.) But still…

So the question is…

Should I leave New Wessex? 

I have been really struggling with this recently. I love New Wessex and it’s members and it would hurt me to leave. I’d feel like some sort of wretched betrayer. But I don’t feel like it’s right for me.

I am torn and this whole thing makes me want to cry.

Can anybody give me some advice?

(Maybe I am being overly dramatic…)

@evelyn
    @ericawordsmith @kari-karast @the-fledgling-artist @i-david @pursuewisdom (because you have a purse of wisdom and I need that…❤) @selah-chelyah

And my dear guild members. Please share your thoughts and berate me if you want…I probebly deserve it.

@chalice
    @bama-rose @kate @noahlitle @literatureforthelight

Hope this made sense. *sigh* And I don’t just sound like some complaining old grouch…I just want help.

And hugs.

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@eden-anderson

*gives you a hug* You did say you wanted some…

Hmm. I can understand you wanting to leave. It’s possible I might want to do the same thing if my guild ever got like that. So… when you say that New Wessex just isn’t right for you, does that mean you’d want to join a different guild? Because if yes, then I’d say that, well, yeah that’s slightly traitorous. But I’d also understand wanting to join a different guild that wasn’t as… dead. But I’d probably wait to leave for a little while to see if my guild got any better. Then, if it didn’t become any more active then, and only then, would I leave.

I think.

(I have no experience with that sort of thing whatsoever since I’ve only been in a guild for a few weeks and I’d say it’s been rather active.)

Hope this helps!

"You can dance with my henchman."

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@kari-karast

*squeezes you tight*

Thank you. You are so kind and understanding!❤

If I left New Wessex, yes, I would want to join another guild. But I don’t have a particular one in mind unless it’s Parimi Alca, because of @evelyn.

No, when I said that I don’t feel like New Wessex fits me is because I want to have a guild where I interact reguarlarly with my fellow guild members, have really good discussions and be there for eachother…I am just not feeling this type of community in New Wessex.

Even if you only have been a part for a couple of weeks, thank you so much for giving your advice. It was very helpful and I am really grateful! ❤

(Uh, where’s your badge?)

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

Hi there @eden-anderson

First of all, I need to say that I love your profile pic. Your hair is gorgeous!! Sorry, I needed to say that randomly, now I will be serious.

Well, as I am not part of a guild and have been wondering lately whether I should apply to join one, I feel that I am not sure I have a ton of advice… Here’s my thoughts on why I haven’t joined/what your situation is. 😉

So, I haven’t joined 1. I’m right at the end of high school and really want to be eligible for a scholarship for the college I’m praying about. The key: Raise my SAT score… And since I am horrible at math, this will take a little work. 😉 Aside from that, I’m trying to write and a host of other time consuming things… And keep up with trying to learn All of Me on the piano… lots of metronome work… and other musical stuff. Plus adding cello soon. So, yes, my days be full. 😉 Yet, I love SE, I’ve really, really enjoyed it, and it’s been quite the bright spot for me some days. So, I agree with you that if I’m going to invest my time into something like a guild, I do have expectations that I’m going to be sharpened by other writers and it won’t feel like a dead weight.

However, here are some thoughts on the guild feeling dead:

First of all, yes it is the holiday season, and I have felt that maybe the forum is also a little slower than usual. I’m guessing that people will have more time for SE in a couple of weeks are so (including myself). So if your guild was feeling slow during December, it could just be the holiday time zap.

Still, if you you feel like this is a little longer than just the holidays (just be it known, I’m using this term right now but if you tell me happy holidays in stead of merry Christmas I will give you my blue-eyed glare and all the fire I can summon), then maybe your guild isn’t the best fit for you right now. That’s one reason I haven’t joined, I don’t want to end up in a forum where I feel it’s just dragging me down and wasting my time/I’m not getting any writing help. Which, really, if you’re going to invest time tapping away at the keyboard, if you’re sort of floundering in a guild without getting any real benefit or inspiration, you might as well just be writing in your real book. Which is exactly my logic behind my hesitation.

So, I suppose I might be sounding like an elf (don’t ask elves for advice, they will tell you both yes and no), but that’s my thoughts on the whole thing. Take into account my dear… you are an ENFP right? So am I, so I know what it feels like to wonder why everybody else is not having a good time and laughing as hard/bouncing off the walls like I am (well, there are a few more excitable personalities, but ENFP… we are… well… ENFPs.) XD I hope whatever happens you end up being encouraged and choose the right thing for you right now. Love you girl! <3

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@eden-anderson

Your welcome!

I hope you’re able to figure out what to do and that if you do leave you’re able to get the community you want!!

(I don’t know… it’s a brand new guild. Called Knaphollow. I don’t think it’s on the guilds page yet either. Maybe I’ll get one soon. @i-david is in it too.)

"You can dance with my henchman."

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@eden-anderson Aww! *hugs*

Well, know that you’re not the only one, wondering this. I actually have been pondering the same problem recently.

Parimi Alca has been slow of late, to the point of silence almost, but it’s probably because of people busy with school and work and then Christmas.

But even if there was things going on… maybe it would be worse for me. I’ve been thinking about leaving, mainly for time purposes… life and all that. 😛  (I’m a huge part in a smaller writing community, I just entered high school, extra curricular things, and I hardly have time for more.)

Not to get me wrong, I love Story Embers! But maybe it’s just time for me to step back… I do need to drop something, and so we’ll see. 🙂

In the meantime, know that I understand and I’m praying for you. <3

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@eden-anderson

*GIVES YOU A GIANT HUG*

Wow, Eden, thanks for asking such an honest question and for asking my thoughts on it. I would say two things, having been a guild member in  Meraki since its creation at the end of May earlier this year:  🙂

First, my thoughts would be that you should do what makes sense for you right now. If you have more time to commit, and are in need of more a more active guild and the accountability and partnership (and everything else) that comes with that, then I would say absolutely you should perhaps opt out and see if you can be transferred to another guild. I do not think that would be treasonous in the least… One of our guild members had to leave so she could head another guild and that was certainly okay. 😀

If you are on here in the need of that, it seems like you should have it. (And it seemed to me like that is what you were saying, so I would say ask the admins and if they say good then do it!) You have indeed been active on the general forums, as well. 😛  No one can contest that!

Secondly, I would say… ask those who really know!  😛  I will tag some admins here:

@daeus-lamb
      @jane-maree  @josiah  @gabriellepollack

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

Noah Litle
    @noahlitle

@eden-anderson

Hey, don’t feel badly. I think this is just a phase.

Personally, I’ve had a lot going on at home, and not much pulling me here. Well, that’s not entirely true. I’ve still questions from @theinconceivable1 , @ericawordsmith , @ann-of-lothlorien , @eden-anderson (yeah, sorry I haven’t gotten back to you yet), and @daeus-lamb that I haven’t answered yet. Sorry, guys, I may or may not get back to you in the future.

Life’s been crazy. I’ve been going through Theme Mastery. I’m not sure if I’ve been using my time wisely, and I have no excuses. I haven’t been doing much writing lately. Perhaps I need to be more active on our accountability thread.

Anyway, that’s what my life looks like.

If you ask me, give it a couple months and if you still feel this way, then apply to leave the guild.

Hope that helps. 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Noah Litle.

p.s. I only know a little.

Grace
    @literatureforthelight

@eden-anderson

*gives you hugs and chocolate* I really appreciate your sincerity and your courage to voice something that’s been on your heart! Don’t feel bad — and whatever your eventual decision is, we’ll certainly support you 🙂

To be honest, I don’t really know what to say or what answer to give you. I realize that I myself am often either unable or unwilling to start conversations in our guild, and it’s not just because my life is busy (it is). There’s also a slight guilt (?) that I have in not being so active in my guild because I don’t think that my writing community should take preeminence over my actual act of writing, but then I tend to do very little actual writing…

I have actually thought about leaving the guild before, just because I don’t make a lot of time for writing in my life, and when I do try to write I often get bogged down in perfectionist-writers-block which means I often feel better when I’m not writing. Therefore, as I’ve accepted that creative writing doesn’t have so large of a place in my busy life, my presence in the guild has deteriorated as well.

The question I think here is, will another guild suit your personality and your needs better? And that’s not something I can answer, since I don’t know the other guilds.

I will also add on to what other people said and say that activity levels in every part of the forum rise and fall from time to time — for the most part, this is a need-based forum, and it’s not paid like YWW, so the commitment of each person is more likely to vary.

I probably haven’t given that much wisdom, but as a Saxon Scribe, I promise you my support wherever you choose to go. *salutes*

INFJ // The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. (John 1:5)

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

*hugs*

First, let me openly admit that I’m one of the people who’s really not active in the guild. And it’s not because I’m super busy. I’m really not. There are other things going on that I won’t get into because I’d end up making the post about me instead of you by mistake. I’ve actually considered leaving because I feel like it’s not fair for me to be a part of a guild I’m not actually being part of.

I’d say do what’s best for you. Basically, what others have said. If New Wessex isn’t right for this stage of your writing journey, that’s totally fine. I doubt any of us is going to resent you for leaving or feel like you’re betraying the guild. However, I do think it’s worth bringing up as a guild discussion that the guild is feeling dead, addressing the various reasons people aren’t participating, and seeing if we can address those issues and make New Wessex work better for everyone involved. (Personally, I’m still holding out for an unread posts count next to topics. :P) I’d recommend starting a thread in New Wessex where we can all discuss the guild’s setup and do some problem-solving before making a semi-permanent decision. It could be that doesn’t help anything, but it’s also possible we’d be able to fix some things and make it more beneficial to everyone involved.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@eden-anderson

I can see what you mean about the guild feeling a little dead. I’m sure it has lots to do with the holidays, but maybe thats not all of it.

And while I’d hate to see you go, I understand that you need more commitment in your guild, so I wouldn’t be mad at you. 🙂

Courage, dear heart ~ Aslan

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@eden-anderson

HI THERE! I’M BACK. 😀

Ahem. Ahem.

Dear Mademoiselle:

It’s been a while since I’ve posted in the public forums. The last post I wrote was to my fellow Parimians about the Guild War. 😉

I have noticed that most of my fellow guild members are not super active (at least in the last guild war, and I’ve only been in this one so far). But I know that with school and finals and work and the Christmas/New Year holidays, things can be crazy for people. I’m in this group, so I’ve not been able to post very regularly. I do struggle with balancing between actually writing my story and talking about writing on the forum, so I’ve needed to insert more self-control on this… 😛

My advice: don’t leave your guild if you think your schedule can fit it in. 🙂 And if you think your guild is not being active enough – maybe you can contact your guild master as well about your concern?

Plus, please always tag me in the public forums whenever you wish! 🙂 I love reading your posts – always so insightful and delightful for me to see!

*offers a cup of cocoa or pomegranate tea in good faith*

Does this help?

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." ~Th.Jefferson

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

Tagging my guildies @evelyn and @pursuewisdom since we’re all here :-}

I feel the same frustration as you, @eden-anderson. The core of it for me is wondering why I would post something for only my guildies instead of for the whole forum. The strength of the guilds are the focus on areas for us to grow, the sense of community, and the relative privacy, right? But that would be far more useful in a community many times larger than our own. It almost feels like the guilds are harmful in a community sense, because they heavily restrict the number of people who will see your post.

The only times I would consider posting to my guild instead of to the forum proper is if I had a private prayer request or if I wanted to screen something more privately by my guildies before posting to the main forum. For other people more worried about copyright, I could see them posting stuff for critique to the guild forum first. The main benefit of all this is of course that the guild forums are private to any random internet person waltzing by, unlike the main forums.

So maybe the guilds just need time to grow. I wouldn’t advise leaving your guild. Activity will ebb and flow. Maybe we need to figure out ways to encourage guild community more, though. I really dislike the guild activities we currently have, and if I participate it’s purely for the sake of community, which isn’t a great incentive.

I dunno :-\ Just know you’re not alone.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@eden-anderson Honestly I totally feel you. Most of the guildlings in Camp Artifex aren’t very active. And if there were another art guild to switch to, I’d probably be considering switching like you. 😦 Though, in my guild’s defence, there isn’t a huge art crowd right now. And the art department is still in it’s early stages. -and a lot of the artists spend more time writing them drawing. So I can’t really blame anyone.

… Sorry I didn’t mean to ramble about myself. Really, if you have the time commitment, and you feel like you need more support from a guild I don’t think you should feel bad about switching. 😉

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@ericawordsmith

Aw, thank you! 🤗

I really just want to squish you in a million hedge-hugs right now!! You are so understanding and kind, everybody is…I wanted to cry reading through your and the others posts. ❤ So thankful to know ya’ll.

Wow! Your life is very busy. Totally understand your hesitation to join a guild.

First of all, yes it is the holiday season, and I have felt that maybe the forum is also a little slower than usual. I’m guessing that people will have more time for SE in a couple of weeks are so (including myself). So if your guild was feeling slow during December, it could just be the holiday time zap.

New Wessex felt dead before the holidays.

I know what it feels like to wonder why everybody else is not having a good time and laughing as hard/bouncing off the walls like I am

Haha! 😆 That’s exactly how I feel most of the time! Ahhh, the joy’s of being an ENFP.

Thank you so much for your comments. It was such an encouragement to me! And I like your elf-like advice. It’s wonderful. Love you too, girl. ❤🤗

@kari-karast

Thank you, dear!

Oh, yeah. I have heard of Knaphollow.

@evelyn

*hugs*

You are so sweet…thank you for understanding. It’s so good to know I am not alone in this. *cries* I love you, dear girl! ❤🤗

Oh wow, you do have a lot on your plate!

Thank you so much for your prayers! I really appreciate them.

Please don’t leave Story Embers! If you leave a guild, I understand…but I don’t know if I could bear you leaving SE forum all together! Please say you won’t leave?!! I would be so sad if you left…

But that said, I understand life and its responsibilities. You can only do so much.

I would miss you so much though…

@selah-chelyah

*is nearly smothered to death* 😉

Thank you. I needed a hug like that!

Aw, thank you SO much for understanding! I needed to hear this…

You have indeed been active on the general forums, as well.   No one can contest that!

*cough* Uh, yeah, I am kinda embarrassed about that. People probably think I live on here…well I don’t. And I am trying to cut back the amount of time I spend on here. SE can be very distracting and actually harmful to my writing life, if I let it. I am trying to find a balance.

Confession over.

Thanks for tagging those people. Although if they read through this thread, they make think we are planning some mass exodus. 😛

@noahlitle

Totally understand the time and responsibility factor.

Yeah, I haven’t felt much pull to be in my guild either…but that was mainly because hardly anybody was saying anything.

Yes, that was very helpful. Thank so much! Also, I want to make sure that you know that I was not referring to you when I mentioned un-active guild members.

I appreciate that you have been active in New Wessex even though it feels slow.

And that’s okay that you have questions to answer still…probebly most of the people you still need to answer have forgotten the questions they asked anyway. 😛

@literatureforthelight

Aw, thanks for the hugs and chocolate! I needed that. 🍫❤

You are very much in the right to say that your writing should come before a writing community. I agree…but if you are in a guild I feel like you should be active at least once a week. (Which you have been…I appreciate your activity in New Wessex.)

Yes, I am a perfectionist as well in my writing. I feel better thinking about writing, then actually writing. *sigh* That’s why I joined SE-in hope’s that I would find accountability and encouragement. Which I have found…just not in my guild.

Thank you so much for your support! I appreciate it so much!

*prepare a to salute, but tackles you in a hug instead* 😁❤

@r-m-archer

*hugs back*

Hey, that’s okay. I won’t mind if you share your struggles here…this thread doesn’t need to be about me. In fact other people who are wondering/struggling the same thing, I hope they will feel free to share their thoughts and hopefully they can find encouragement and advice here as well.

However, I do think it’s worth bringing up as a guild discussion that the guild is feeling dead, addressing the various reasons people aren’t participating, and seeing if we can address those issues and make New Wessex work better for everyone involved.

YES!!! I have often thought of starting a thread like this, but hesitated because I thought I should let one of you guys who has been a part of New Wessex longer than I, do it. We really should start a thread like that! 👍

@bama-rose

Aw, thanks girl!

*hugs you tight*

That’s really encouraging.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.