Short Story Contest

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Short Story Contest

This topic contains 27 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Evelyn 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

JennytheFaun
    @jennythefaun

So, I haven’t been on the main forum too much yet, but I thought it would be fun to have a thread for people who are entering the SE short story contest (or other Emberlings who are up for some reading and critiquing). Maybe we could bounce ideas off each other, beta read each other’s drafts, and help each other polish our entries? @anne-of-lothlorien we haven’t officially met yet, but I’m tagging you because I remember that your story got an honorable mention last year (congrats btw) and I thought you might know who would enjoy and benefit from this thread.

"...by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there."

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

I still haven’t decided whether or not I’m going to enter. Short stories and I have a complicated relationship at this point. 😛 Although, looking at my list of short story ideas I’m realizing I do have one short story that I finished the first draft of and didn’t do anything with and I might be able to polish up and make work. (Contests like this have taught me that publishing short stories on my blog was a really bad idea, but this one has escaped that fate, lol.)

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

JennytheFaun
    @jennythefaun

@r-m-archer I’ve always had a really tough time with short stories too. Working on one for this contest has been awfully fun though! Did you enter the contest last year?

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@jennythefaun

I didn’t. I was going to, but I started writing a story that I started solely for the contest and I tried to write it around a theme and it just… didn’t work. So I bailed. Theme isn’t really my strong suit in most cases; it’s only recently that I’ve started learning to pinpoint the existing themes in my novels. Since most of my short stories are just for fun/exercise I don’t tend to bother picking out a theme, so building a story explicitly around a theme was maybe not my brightest idea. XD But the one I have already written–Underground–already has an inkling of a theme that I could probably build into something more concrete with some editing and feedback.

How about you?

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  R.M. Archer.

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@jennythefaun Hey, I am glad you started this thread! I think I want to submit a piece, but I have really been struggling with motivation. 🙃

If you don’t care telling, what is your short story about?

Short stories and I have a complicated relationship at this point.

*cough*

So, I’m not the only one who hears the words “short story” and runs for the hills?

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

JennytheFaun
    @jennythefaun

@r-m-archer

Not so long ago, the concept of centering a story around a theme wasn’t even on my radar, so needless to say I don’t have much experience there either. If you want, though, I’d be happy to read your story and give some feedback (especially if you’d be willing to give a second opinion on mine too 😉).

@eden-anderson

Yeah, “I need to write something for a contest” isn’t too conducive to inspiration. XD

Ohyes I’m only too eager to tell what it’s about, lol. I’ll try to be relatively brief and not draft the whole thing here and now:

The story’s set in a Central-Asian inspired fantasy world where an outbreak of The Hunger, a plague that causes people to desperately desire things (from food and water to glory, acceptance, meaning, and so forth) has recently infected a teenager named Dasha. At first she doesn’t think it’s a problem because she’s convinced herself that whatever she needs, she can get for herself. But as The Hunger gets stronger, it pulls her into a horse race, an uncomfortable friendship, and a vengeful plot, and she becomes less and less able to deal with the plague on her own.

I hope that makes some level of sense… it’s a very complicated story. I’m going to have a super hard time keeping it to 5k words…

I’d love to hear what you guys’ stories are about too!

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@jennythefaun

DUDE, YOU HAD ME AT “CENTRAL-ASIAN INSPIRED FANTASY” AND THEN IT GOT BETTER. :O :O :O I would 100% LOVE to look over it when it’s done.

And I’d definitely appreciate the feedback on my story. I think I’ll look it over once on my own and then I’ll copy it to a Google Doc and share it. 🙂

@eden-anderson

I mean… I wouldn’t say I run for the hills… but two years ago I decided to write a short story each week for my blog, which was fine and manageable, but then I got cocky (and broke) and decided to write short stories as Christmas presents for everyone in my family (I decided this in, like, September at the earliest) and I burned out and now I have those bad emotions sort of tied to short stories and I generally avoid them now unless I have a clear starting point and I really feel like it. Short stories with deadlines are generally the worst kind for me, at this point. (Which is why I’m so glad to have one already written, lol.)

JennytheFaun
    @jennythefaun

@r-m-archer Lol, I’m pretty excited about it too…the thing is I’ve been planning a lot but I haven’t drafted it yet, so I’m a bit nervous about it living up to all my expectations.

Awesome, I’ll look forward to it!

Edmund Lloyd Fletcher
    @edmund-lloyd-fletcher

*cough* So, I’m not the only one who hears the words “short story” and runs for the hills?

Yeah, no kidding!  I’ve written a “short story” for the contest… which turned into more like the beginning of a full-length story.

If anybody wants to message me to read it and perhaps offer suggestions on how to make it stand alone, DM me.  The working title is – Rhonda: A fairytale dressed in camoWhich pretty much says everything you need to know. LOL! 😀

Homeschooling father of 10, writing Christian action/adventure novels from my home high in the Rockies.

Zachary Holbrook
    @toklaham-veruzia

@edmund-lloyd-fletcher I’ll read it

おはいよう. 日本語は好きです .

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@r-m-archer

decided to write short stories as Christmas presents for everyone in my family

Yikes, I hope you have a small family. 😜 Sorry you burned out though, that’s frustrating

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@eden-anderson

The list was nineteen stories long, so… not really. XD I have, since then, gotten thirteen of them done, but the other six are at various stages of abandonment. 😛

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@jennythefaun

I’ve finally gotten around to looking over my first draft and giving it a few tweaks. The closing scene, at least, I know still needs work but I can’t figure out what to do with. I’ve pretty much reached the end of what I know to do with the story (self-editing is always the hardest :P), so I think it’s ready for betas, if you’re still interested. 🙂

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@r-m-archer Oh…wow. That’s A LOT of short stories. I understand now why you burned out. :/

JennytheFaun
    @jennythefaun

@r-m-archer Yup, I’d still love to! I probably won’t get a chance to read it until tomorrow evening though. Hopefully in a few days I’ll have mine ready for y’all to read. It needs your help XD

@edmund-lloyd-fletcher I volunteer to read yours too

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest