Short Story…about a Duckling.

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Short Story…about a Duckling.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gracie
    @kimlikesart

Hi. I am going to read/share this at church on Monday, and I’d like to know what you all think. (:

I’m having trouble though. I want the point to be to rely on God’s will. And to trust Him when he takes you away from your old life…of sin. But it sounds like I’m telling people to be content and accept that they’re to be locked in their homes?

I don’t like, or want that. It’s not about masks or no masks or anything like that. I’d appreciate pointers on how to make sure the main point is there without this whole mess crowding in too much, if it’s possible…

The Duckling

1-31-20/edited 8-1-20

In mid-winter my mother, sister and I drove to the stock show. They had all sorts of animals; cows, sheep, goats, rabbits, and fluffy little chicks. But what spoke to me the most was one, small duckling.

There was a large, I believe it’s called a gaggle, of ducklings running around their cage. Some cuddling beneath a heat lamp, a few others playing in the food bowl. But there was one little duck separated from the rest.

This duckling appeared to have jumped into a large, green bucket in the corner of the cage, and couldn’t get back out. We watched it flap its little wings and just barely make its head over the rim. It rammed with all its weight against the hard walls enclosing it from the others,.. all to no avail. It jumped, flapping its wings again, and made it a little higher. We held our breath, and I prayed, (Because I guess I’m the type that prays for stuck little ducklings) ‘Please God, help him out.’

But the little fuzzy ball fell back in with a thud, with cries of discomfort. ‘Jesus, please help him out?’

Then I was pulled away by my sister to go look at the baby goats. We looked at the kids, then the sheep, and then pigs. After this our feet led us back to the ducklings.

That poor bird was still stuck, letting out two chirps a second in frustration. Still slamming, and trying to jump over its confines. ‘Please Jesus? Help Your creature. He needs help. He’s sad and alone, can You give him a boost? Please?’

I then explained the fowl’s predicament to my mother, Bethany interjecting several times as I did so. Mama then promptly said that we should tell one of the volunteers. We passed the idea of this duty back and forth until my sister finally said enough and went to get someone.

A bit later Bethany brought back a man with a snowy beard, and a bright red shirt on. After my mother explained the problem once more, he got a knowing look in his eyes.

The volunteer pointed back to the bucket, and the screaming duckling, “Do you mean that one?” Nodded assent. “He’s got a hurt leg. I put him in there to keep him from the other ducks.”

Then before Bethany could ask he went on, “The other ducklings would kill him if I let him out.”

Then he walked away.

The fuzzy animal was still trying to skip the barrier. Flopping to his back, and shrieking yet louder with every failure.

I looked to the ground, thinking…

‘If God had answered my prayer, that duckling would be dead. But He didn’t, for He knew more than I did. He saw what I couldn’t see. And where I prayed with a sincere heart for that bird to be free…God said no.’

Sometimes we pray for things, and it seems that what we’re praying for is exactly what we should be praying for. We might put our whole selves into it, with no sin in our hearts, but completely forgetting to say, ‘Your will be done’ at the end.

His will is always better than my will, our will.

Where I wanted that duckling out of his cage. Free to go about where all his friends were already swimming and cuddling, and playing in their food bowl. God knew that was the opposite of what that little bird needed. Freedom would have killed it. It’s friends would have seen he was different, surrounded him, and butchered him.

We should always pray ‘Your will be done;’ as a sign of submission to our Creator and God. But if that’s not enough, remember, He knows more than us. He sees more than us. He created all of us. His plan is better than all of us.

_____

Now, imagine you are the duckling. You are messing around, playing with your buddies and having the best of time, when you feel a splitting pain in your leg.

You’re hurt, you cry out and your friends just stare. So you’re angry and cry out the more. They slowly surround you, looking to each other and fiendish thoughts filling their wicked little minds.

A giant hand then reaches down and picks you up. You are placed, still squawking, into a green tub,..all alone. The walls are so high you can only see the ceiling. You are stuck.

So what do you do?

You try to get out of the mess some almighty hand has put you in. You charge the walls with all your might, resenting the barriers the big guy has put around you.

You want to be free! You want to go to all the old places. You want to go back and live your old life. So you begin crying, wanting out and everyone to know it. Your leg still hurts from past play, but you ignore it, charging the walls again to get back to the same play. All to no avail.

So you begin trying to jump over the high up edge, flapping your little wings so hard they might have flown off without you. But you only get a glimpse of the outside. Your old friends going about their business. Playing, eating, and cuddling beneath a warm lamp.

Why are you being left out? What have you done to deserve this? This isolation from the world around you. Why are you the only one being punished? What have you done to deserve this?

You shout louder, harder, hoping someone will hear. But all the other ducklings are silent to your pleas. They’ve already gone on with their lives. But still you try again, and again, and again.

Getting glimpses of the outside every so often, only to fall back to the ground. Hurting your leg, and the rest of your small body.

You know people are out there. Able to help. You hear them oohing and aahing laughing, pointing, and talking over your fate.

It’s not funny!! Just help me!!!!!  You chirp like your life depends on it, for you believe it does. But if they hear, they just ignore.

Little do you know that the big man has confined you in your bucket for your own safety. You were put in this trial to keep you from an even greater one. You don’t know it, but He was working in your favor the whole time.

In your frustration at having been locked up you missed the sprinkling of food on the ground. You’d just been cursing it in your heart for it made you slip as you charged the walls.

There was a small water-bowl in the corner to quench your thirst. But you despised it; for when you tumbled down from trying to leap the limit you fell back in, spilling the water. It covered your floor, turning your food soggy, so you complain all the more. So focused on the things taken from you, so focused on the barriers put around you, you missed the perfect provision of your Master.

As Alexander G. Bell said,

‘When one door closes, another opens. But we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.’

Gracie

(@ kimlikesart)

Jominkreesa

Passion means to be willing to suffer.

Mel
      @melodyjoy

@kimlikesart

So I really enjoyed this!

I didn’t really pick up on that it sounds like you want people to be content to be stuck in their homes…

I took away that we should trust God even when he cause everything we know to change and I LOVED that quote at the end. I’m going to like write that in my locker at school 🙂

MELODY

Life is short, smile while you still have teeth!

Gracie
        @kimlikesart

@melodyjoy

I’m so glad you liked it!

I didn’t really pick up on that it sounds like you want people to be content to be stuck in their homes…

That’s good. Thank you for reading it!

Alexander G. Bell was an amazing man. Did you know he wanted to be known for helping deaf children, not creating the telephone? I admire him quite a bit. (:

Jominkreesa

Mel
          @melodyjoy

@kimlikesart

No I didn’t know that about AGB. I should do some research on him 🙂

MELODY

Life is short, smile while you still have teeth!

Wingiby Iggiby
            @wingiby-iggiby

@kimlikesart

I just want to say, that was beautiful! What you said is so true, and we all need to remember this. It is such a sweet little story; you ought to make it into a picture book someday!

I took away that God knows our every need, and while we may pray for something we desperately want, He knows best. Things we ask for are not always what we need, or might even be bad for us, and He knows it and cares for his children — in times of trouble, he still always provides.

God only gives us as much as we can handle, and right now this is a test of faith for all of us.

Keep up the great work! If you have anything else you would like to share, I’d love to read it! 😉

God is great, milk-shakes are good, and people are crazy.

Gracie
              @kimlikesart

Ahh, thanks @wingiby-iggiby . I’m happy you liked/got something from it.

I could post some more stuff…I just would have to type it out. (:

A picture book? Hmm. Something to think about.

Jominkreesa

Wingiby Iggiby
                @wingiby-iggiby

@kimlikesart

Your welcome! 😀

And if you want to type up some stuff, that would be great! But don’t feel rushed 😉 Writing takes a long while, and I have no clue if I’ll even finish the book I’m working on.

And yeah, a picture book would be so cute!

God is great, milk-shakes are good, and people are crazy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest