Self-publishing

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Self-publishing

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Jane Maree
    @jane-maree

@jenwriter17

1) You ask people to do guest posts. πŸ˜›

2) If you ask someone to guest post on your blog, you can offer to do a swap and guest post on theirs too. A high percentage of people will think that’s a brilliant plan. *fingerguns*

3) Yes mailchimp is what I use for my newsletters and it’s suuuper easy to use and design nice looking emails and it’s also a lifesaver to have a designed template ready to use every time. (For example: I have each of the sections of my newsletter in the design template, so each month, I just have to add the words and images to the text and image blocks already prepared. Obviously there’s some tweaking each time, but it’s soooo useful and time-saving.)

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@daues-lamb @jane-maree @j-a-penrose Thank you! This clears things up for me πŸ™‚

oh, one more thing; how do you make an image-with-title-of-post-on-it thingy for your blog posts? is there a website/app?

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
    www.jennaterese.com

J.A.Penrose
    @j-a-penrose

@jenwriter17 My blog isn’t very professional, but I just take a photo or find one that’s copyright free and toss my title on it in G-docs. Very easy. Some people use photoshop and some people have stock-photographers as sisters.

Writer | Freelance editor
    Inspiration

Jane Maree
    @jane-maree

@jenwriter17

I make mine in photoshop but I’ve heard canva can work nicely too, I think?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Jane Maree.

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@jenwriter17

1) yep. You just ask them, and you don’t even have to know them very well! You’d be surprised how excited a lot of people are to do guest posts πŸ˜€

2) usually you get asked, in which case it is a waiting game and hoping people like your posts enough to want one on their blog. Or you do the post swap Jane mentioned. Or you do a really scary thing and ask them if they’d allow you to guest post on their blog πŸ˜›

3) Mailchimp is epic. I send out notifications for my blog posts and my monthly newsletter with it. Would 9/10 recommend, the one point off being that you have to put in a physical address in at the bottom of each of your emails. But every other service will ask that too (hint: you can put in a really general one, like your state, or a PO Box)

Hope that helps πŸ˜€

~ Khylie
    "Beauty will save the world." - Dostoevsky

Jane Maree
    @jane-maree

@j-a-penrose

Some people use photoshop and some people have stock-photographers as sisters.

Casually referencing me. xD

My sister being a stock photographer is very handy, because she lets me use any of her photos and there’s always plenty of them. πŸ˜›

J.A.Penrose
    @j-a-penrose

@jenwriter17 (Nonono. Canva is a pain. Or it is for me. I advise strongly against it.) Although, you can try. I’ve only ever used it on a dodgy device, so it may just be the chromebook, not the program.

Inspiration

Jane Maree
    @jane-maree

@morreafirebird

But on the other hand, if you don’t mind people knowing your actual address…sometimes you can get surprise mail and that’s the most epic thing ever.

(This has happened to me and it was actually suuuper cool.)

J.A.Penrose
    @j-a-penrose

@jane-maree And yes. Casually referencing you. All of my ‘some people’ was referencing you as I don’t know what other people do for their blogs!

Inspiration

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@jane-maree that would be epic XD My family’s PO Box is in there, since my parents don’t like using our street address.

What did they send you?

~ Khylie
    "Beauty will save the world." - Dostoevsky

Jane Maree
    @jane-maree

@morreafirebird

I got a graduation photo collage, and a hand-stamped bookmark. <3 Surprise mail is the beeest. πŸ˜›

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

Both my parents published through Createspace, and it was an easy deal getting it up. My mom bought a cover online, and my dad designed his through Canva. The biggest thing I say about it is that you just want it to look as fancy schmancy as possible. People judge a book by it’s cover. Secondly, my plea to self-publishers is that I beg them to not publish until they are 100% sure that it is 99.99% perfect. My mom still found errors in her book after having it professionally edited. The danger of Createspace is that you can do it whenever you want and have a published book in about a week. I’ve met authors who regret publishing too early… Self-publishing is a scary task! I congratulate you for giving it a shot!!

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

R.M. Archer
      @r-m-archer

@jenwriter17

1) How do you get people to do guest posts on your blog? Just by knowing other bloggers?

Um… probably. I don’t have guest posters on my blog (though I’m considering having a month of guest posters each year in the future. Don’t know yet how well that will or won’t work, lol.), so I don’t know. But once you know bloggers you can probably request posts.

2) How do you get asked to do a guest post for someone else? I assume just be patient and wait until I’m asked.

I’ve only guest posted once, and the blogger (@consciousdreamer) was asking for guest posts. I simply don’t have good enough idea dividing skills to figure out what posts I should save for guest posting and which I should save for my own blog, so I don’t go looking most of the time, but if you come up with a system or something for deciding what you want to guest post and what you want to blog yourself it would probably be better to seek out places to guest post.

3) Does anyone use Mailchimp for their website newsletters etc.? Does that work well?

I do! It was super easy for me to learn, personally, so I’d definitely recommend it. My mom initially suggested Mad Mimi and it had way to big a learning curve, so I followed the advice of a lot of bloggers and switched to MailChimp to get started. I’ve also heard ConvertKit is good, but I’ve never used it and if I remember right it’s a paid program while MailChimp is free (until you have 100 subscribers, I think?). So yeah, I highly recommend MailChimp. πŸ™‚

4) How do you make blog post covers?

First, let me tell you that this is VERY IMPORTANT. It drives me BONKERS when a post doesn’t have a pinnable image with the title on it so I can’t share it on Pinterest. Images are tedious, but vital. That out of the way, I grab free stock images from pexels.com (or occasionally Pixabay, if I need a broader range than Pexels offers) and edit them in PhotoScape. I’ve heard Canva is good (and it has a Pinterest graphic template), but I’ve never used it so I have no idea how well it does or doesn’t work.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by R.M. Archer.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Jenna Terese
      @jenwriter17

@j-a-penrose I actually use Canva for different things and I like it a lot πŸ˜‰ @jane-maree @morreafirebird @r-m-archer Thank you all!!! this is soooo helpful πŸ˜€

@ericawordsmith
      Thank you for the encouragement! self-publishing looks like a challenge, but I love a good challenge πŸ˜‰ (I have several rounds of edits/proofreaders planned; one editor, one critique person, my mom, and me πŸ˜› )

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
      www.jennaterese.com

Mariposa Aristeo
      @mariposa

@jenwriter17 I recommend interacting with people first and taking an interest in them before asking them to guest post. πŸ™‚ That way you’re not a total stranger and they have a general idea of what you’re like. Try to approach people who blog about similar things as you do.

As for guest posting on other people’s blogs, you can wait for them to ask you, or you can ask them yourself (in a kind, thoughtful way that lets them know it’s okay for them to decline the offer). Briefly tell them who you are and give them a general idea of what you’d like to write about for their site (you can offer to write about something else if they aren’t interested in that topic).

I find images for my posts on unsplash. Then I use the app Pixelmator to make them the graphics. πŸ™‚

I think dinosaurs are cooler than dragons. πŸ¦–

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest