Self-Doubt

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    J. Dekreel
    @dekreel

(Yes, Kapeefers, I am aware that I posted a topic exactly like this on KP. Just bear with me. This one isn’t a copy. ;-P )

Ahh, those one-and-a-half words of writer woe (I say “one-and-a-half” because of the hyphen). I’m sure we’ve all experienced self-doubt at least once in our lives as people who like to create. As for me, it’s kind of crippling. The trouble with being a “jack of all trades, master of none” is that I end up envying people who are more skilled at things than I am, especially writing and art. I have some experience in many fields but not lots of experience in a few fields. . . which I hate. I love writing, art, music, acting, photography and who-knows-how-many-other things, but my skill in all these fields are generally mediocre (I’m not trying to get you to pity me — I’m generalizing).

I’m not as huge on writing (and art) as I’d like to be. I know I can get better at writing — I have the head-knowledge that I have the ability, but there’s always a part of me whispering, “You’ll never be able to write as well as that friend,” or, “It’s impossible to reach this person’s level of skill.” Basically, “You are a master of none; you will never succeed at anything.” Does anyone have thoughts on this?

If you’re struggling with self-doubt too (don’t worry — we all do!!), don’t be afraid to explain your situation and ask for advice! We are here for you!

“I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME.” ~~Phillippians 4:13

ENFP-T. Cartoonist, "half-writer", wolfish.
    Blog

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@dekreel

Hola, friend.

As a guy named Jamal Daubu said, “I don’t care!”

*smiles* Yeah… I’ve heard this story… this life… this struggle. Certain parts of it I relate with, but others not so much. And those words, I don’t care, doesn’t mean that I don’t care about your struggle. Instead, it means I don’t mind that you struggle.

I teach martial arts… and more than once I ask to see a student do something, and the response is “but it’ll be rusty as a rusty nail,” or “It won’t look great.” My response is often… that I don’t care. It doesn’t bother me in the least, because what I see is a student working hard, a student learning, and a student pushing the boundaries of comfort.

Friend Dekreel, I bet your friends who write, do photography and art… I bet that not a single one of them minds in the least. But they still love to see you working at it. What you produce is work, and as you practice that work becomes more and more refined. But still, in the end, it’s the work that those supporting us value. The fact that we put in. And you know what, it’s hard. Getting the work done is hard. So hard that I had to set down writing in order to get other things done. And I don’t know when I’ll pick it back up. But I hope to some day.

See, people who do excel at a single thing are encouraged to see that its okay to work hard and come out with less than perfection. They’re under a lot of pressure, and are sometimes humbled by people who are a jack of all trades.

Now… If you want to get better at writing… that’s something I might be able to give you a hand with. But it’s gonna be work. And it’s not always gonna be fun. And it might come out really ugly. But it’s beautiful work, it’s determination that gets through that not fun stuff, and that which comes out ugly is not the bar, but the oh so important step. It must happen. And I don’t care in the least if it looks ugly. It just humbles me to see someone working.

I’ve been reading the Psalms of late, and it’s beautiful how weak David is… and how the Lord holds him up anyway. As the Lord does with all of us. Take courage, friend.

-Wordsmith- Author of short stories, Reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

Oh, and I add on… God gave you the ability to work at just about anything. He might not have gifted you to be good at all of them… but if you want to learn something, and you put your mind to it… YOU WILL. By the grace of God… a consistency He gives us.

-Wordsmith- Author of short stories, Reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

We tackled the subject of discouragement on the podcast recently in case you find our discussion helpful: https://storyembers.org/se-podcast-18-how-to-battle-discouragement/

With your specific worry, I actually worried similarly when I was in high school that I was too spread out. Was it accurate? Maybe yes, maybe not, but even if it is true for you, all you need to do is to focus your skills if you’re seriously worried about it. I naturally ended up doing this myself in college, and focusing in on certain hobbies and skills really helped to improve them. So I certainly think you can set yourself apart if you put the time and work into it. There will always be someone better than you. But if you just focus on doing the best you can, I think you’ll be able to get further than you think you can during those times of doubt.

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest