fb

Sci-fi God figure?

Forums Group Forums Sci-fi Writers Sci-fi God figure?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ScoutFinch190
    @scoutfinch190

Hello people of the land of StoryEmbers!

I am primarily familiar with fantasy, and as I am branching out into sci-fi with my current WIP, I was wondering how I could make a God-figure within this genre? Do you have any tips?

We crazy people are the normal ones.

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@scoutfinch190

I can’t say I’ve thought a lot about God in Sci-fi. My only suggestion would probably be to just treat it like fantasy. If it’s inĀ this universe, you could put Christianity into it, or you could do something totally new like in a fantasy world that still pointed toward God.

I’m tagging @rusted-knight because they might have something helpful.

Not all who wander are lost.

ScoutFinch190
    @scoutfinch190

@arindown

Thanks! I’ve been thinking of doing something like that, but I was wondering if it was sci-fi legal, but I may just do it anyway.

sparrowhawke
    @sparrowhawke

@scoutfinch190

In my mind, putting a sci-fi story in this universe AND dealing with God is rather difficult, or at least gets a bit weird. If you have aliens, you have to think about what God’s plan is for them–did they fall? are they corrupted by sin? does Jesus save them too? I haven’t read C.S. Lewis’ Space Trilogy, but I think it would be helpful for studying Christian sci-fi that takes place in this world.

If your story takes place in a completely different world, then I’d just treat it like Gracie said–like a fantasy world.

Semper ubi sub ubi.

ScoutFinch190
    @scoutfinch190

@sparrowhawke

Since my sci-fi is in another universe, then I think I’ll treat it like a fantasy. Do you think that there’s a specific type of God-figure I should go for? Or is it kind of a you-decide thing like in fantasy?

sparrowhawke
    @sparrowhawke

@scoutfinch190

I think it’s really up to you. Since sci-fi tends to be more secular than fantasy, I think putting any kind of god-figure in it would be interesting and unique. If you have different alien races, I’d definitely think about the god’s/gods’ plan for them and how they relate to the god(s), just like you would if you were writing fantasy.

Semper ubi sub ubi.

ScoutFinch190
    @scoutfinch190

@sparrowhawke

Thanks for the tip! I was definitely wondering if there was a different formula for that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest