Sappy Scenes

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Sappy Scenes

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Eden Anderson 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

StorySeeker
    @storyseeker

So real quick, how do you write a sappy scene without making them…well… sappy. I don’t want a hallmark ( sorry hallmark fans ), so how do you make scenes with real emotion without making it sound cheesy. Any tips? Or advice in general?

I, David
    @i-david

I’m afraid this is not a “real quick” thing, my good @storyseeker. “Sappy” is just another word for scenes of goofy emotions. They can be romantic, humorous, both, or–the worst side of it–done wrong.

Though I haven’t settled too deep into the waters of well-blended relationships and romantics, I would give the quick rule to make sure your character’s work well with each other. Don’t let them step on each other’s dialogue with their style, or force out the outcome you want to see from them–whether that be happiness, dissatisfaction, or anything in between. Let them talk it through and basically be themselves–keeping in mind that love doth meld a person’s soul into many astounding and twisted shapes.

As far as the more specifically sap-infused side of it goes, and how to keep it from being too much like a tree endlessly dripping sticky sap-goo, just make sure it all stays grounded–both in the real world and the book’s world. This relates to the first point of not forcing anything, like shooting characters through with love-at-first-sight arrows even though they wouldn’t want to be near the other person. Keep it natural–and humor does help with this when used well and in the right tone–but just feel it through.

So yeah, there you go. Amateur advice from an amateur. *Shroog* Sorry that my best is worst, but maybe it’ll somehow help a little. You never know.

Stay Inspired

-I, David

"Lately, I've been- I've been thinking... I want you to be Happier... I want you to be Happier."

StorySeeker
    @storyseeker

Thanks, this helps a lot. : )

Selah
    @selah-chelyah

@storyseeker

Great question! I am dealing with a lot of the same thing in my current WIP… a lot of unusual relationships, to say the least. ๐Ÿ˜€

A couple things I have found extremely helpful:

1) Make sure your characters have a lot of individuality, personality of their own. When they have a distinct set of reactions, thoughts, emotions, etc, they are realistic and believable…and exciting! They don’t seem like the stereotypical person with the same old thoughts, reactions, scenarios, etc…

2) Don’t copy typical plotlines or scenarios, or even scenes. Create your own, very unique set of circumstances that is way outside the box! Make the whole plot leading up to the scene totally unique. Create unusual plot twists and themes. Besides that, it’s a lot of fun! ๐Ÿ™‚

~ 'Every Christian is either a missionary or an impostor.' C.H. Spurgeon ~

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@storyseeker

Hey, so just for clarification, are we talking about romantic relationships? (That’s what Iย thought you are talking about…)

how do you make scenes with real emotion without making it sound cheesy.

So, do you mean emotions like sadness and anger or what?

I’d love to help you out, but I don’t want to go blundering ahead making statements and throwing out ideas when we arn’t on the same page.๐Ÿ˜‰

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

I, David
    @i-david

*Whispers* Hi, @eden-anderson. *Waves*

"Lately, I've been- I've been thinking... I want you to be Happier... I want you to be Happier."

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@i-david

Hi! *waves back* ๐Ÿ˜€

StorySeeker
    @storyseeker

@eden-anderson

I have one couple in my story that I’m trying to make more realistic. And for the scene I’m working on right now, I have my MC talking with her mom ( though more like the mom is doing most of the talking ). Basically the mom is just trying to help remind the MC that the said Mom will always be there for her, and all the good mom stuff. I’m trying to make the emotions realistic, without running over the edge.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  StorySeeker. Reason: couldn't get the tag to work
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  StorySeeker. Reason: still couldn't get the tags to work

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@storyseeker

Okay, thanks! That helps so much! (When you said sappy, I instantly thought like romantic, but really the word sappy has more meanings than that, so my bad! ๐Ÿ˜‰)

(Also, I don’t know why I’m trying to help you because I’m kind of an emotional drama queen and I’m a sucker for highly emotional scenes, but hey, I’ll see what I can do. ๐Ÿ˜œ)

So, I love what Selah said about giving characters have personality. Everyone responds differently in different situations…some people are better at conveying emotions, while others tend to be more reserved and don’t portray their emotions as much. While some people are super sensitive, touchy-feely and overly romantic, others tend to be more practical and less emotionally expressive.

Another way to keep scenes from being overly emotional, is by making the characters feel or act awkward. Some people feel awkward when there is a lot of emotion going on and so they act awkward or say awkward things because they don’t know how to deal with what they are feeling.

I think the important thing to remember is that characters are all different and so emotions will look different to everybody and how they express them will be different…and this will affect the scene and it’s outcome.

Hope that helped!

Selah
    @selah-chelyah

@eden-anderson

I agree with what you said about emotions and such…keep it true to their individual personality! ๐Ÿ™‚

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@selah-chelyah

Yay, I am glad I actually made sense. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Selah
    @selah-chelyah

@eden-anderson

๐Ÿ˜€ Yep, you did!

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@selah-chelyah

๐Ÿค—

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ย readersย answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

Signup Source

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest