fb

"Salvete!" (Or translated – "Hi ya'll!")

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself "Salvete!" (Or translated – "Hi ya'll!")

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 196 total)
  • Author
    Evelyn
    @evelyn

Why hello! Let me barge in and introduce myself.

My name is Evelyn. I am a writer of letters, words, dependent clauses, independent clauses, sentences, paragraphs, blog posts, chapters, and more recently, a writer of books. I’m also an addicted hot-tea drinker, an unashamed homeschooler, and either secretly a hobbit or a ranger (or in fact, what’s wrong with being both??) who has sadly been smuggled from Middle Earth as a young child. And I’m team Cap all the way and Loki is the best. Dare to try to convince me otherwise.

So hi! =)

writerpiper
    @writerpiper

Hello @evelyn, my name is Piper. It’s always nice to meet another tea-addict. What kinds do you like? I’m afraid I won’t be able to try and convince you to switch from team Cap. I am a loyal member. So, without further ado, welcome to Story Embers! What’s your favorite genre?

Writer of stories, weaver of worlds.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

Hello @writerpiper! Thank you for welcoming me! I’m very glad to not be the only tea-addict here or member of team Cap. I like black teas the best – Chia, Oolong, and English Breakfast. The best herbal teas, in my opinion, are fruity ones. What about you?

As to my favorite genre, that would be fantasy, which I mainly write, though I thoroughly enjoy to read a large variety of other books too. What is your favorite genre to read? How about write?

Evelyn
    @evelyn

I forgot to mention I noticed you’re new around here too, so…

Welcome to Story Embers, WriterPiper!! =)

(P.S. I love the name Piper!)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Evelyn.
    writerpiper
    @writerpiper

Thank you for the welcome! πŸ™‚ I like black teas (Earl Grey, Lady Grey, English Breakfast, etc.) the best, though I don’t care as much for Chai. I do drink herbal teas once in awhile, but much prefer black and green tea. Although, I have to say, the citrus teas are very good.

Like you, my favorite genre for writing is fantasy, though I have played around with other genres or incorporated elements of them into fantasy writing. I enjoy reading lots of different varieties, everything from fantasy to mystery to sci-fi to contemporary. I’m a little iffy about romance – I go more for the individual book in that area than the genre as a whole. In writing, I mainly aim for an age range of children’s or YA, with come middle-schooler now and then. I noticed you said you are working on some writing projects right now. Do you have a particular book you are focusing more on right now, or are you developing multiple ideas at once?

Filewriter
    @filewriter

@evelyn, oh hi! I love your name BTW. I also am an unashamed homeschooler. *cheers* I don’t think there would be a problem with a hobbit/ranger. And even if there is who is going to stop you, right? πŸ˜‰ Although, I would have to say that I would be an elf/ranger. *rubs hands together menacingly* Oh, yes!!! I am team Cap all the way. *double cheers* Which is probably why I am not a fan of Iron Man. πŸ˜‘ πŸ™‚ Seriously, though. LoTR, Cap, homeschool, those are like some of my favorites.

*nods approvingly* We might just get along.

So… You write fantasy. What is your WIP about?

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@writerpiper Yeah, I am also “iffy” about romance as you put it. Very few romances are good in my opinion. A lot of them just seem to have the wrong view of marriage. On writing genres.. I think its hard though to write in only one. My books seem to mix a couple technically. Like really, how can you write a fantasy novel that doesn’t really also fit into the Adventure genre?

So for about two years I have been working on two projects. I would kinda jump between them when I would get bursts of inspiration. usually I would end up working on one and then, when I’d get stuck on that one, I would jump to the next. It probably wasn’t the best habit… πŸ™‚

January, though, I finished the first draft of one of my projects and now I have decided to lock it up in a drawer (figuratively speaking) and wait to take it out again and read with fresh eyes for editing. So, the short answer, at the moment I’m working on one. What about you? Do you work on a couple projects at one time? Or do you only work on one at a time? What kind of project are you working on?

@filewriter
    HI!! Another homeschool!!!!! *starts screaming excitedly* πŸ˜‰

And you’re team Cap, and you’re another child kidnapped from Middle Earth?? πŸ˜‰ Yes. I think we will get along fine.

My WIP started with the thought: “What would happen if a boy’s drawings came alive?” So in the story a handful of a boy’s drawings come alive – including a stick family his sister drew. I have built this whole world where the drawings have come from and where eventually Allen (the boy mentioned before) and his sister are drawn in. *grins mischievously at the cheesy pun* It was really fun to come up with, though at some points it was frustratingly hard. But now I have this whole society and world of drawings that is so much fun to play around in!

What kinda of stuff do you write @filewriter? What’s your WIP about? (If you are willing to share. =D)

Also, are either of you in a guild and if not, are you planning to sign up for one? I did and I’m pretty excited about it. They sound really cool!

writerpiper
    @writerpiper

@evelyn, I have to confess to a habit of doing several things at once. While I usually have one main project, I am always getting distracted by new (and shiny) story ideas. I’ll usually spend a couple days outlining these and putting down any concepts or ideas for them I have before getting back to the main project. Or, every once in a great while, I’ll be so enthralled with a story idea that I’ll go on a three-week writing rush and finish the entire first draft in that period. It’s a rough three weeks, and an even rougher draft, but when it’s over I have a nice stack of printed pages to enjoy for about four-and-a-half-minutes. After that, I start noticing things I could have done better and get caught up in revisions.

Right now I’m working on a fantasy novel about a girl named Zherna Atel, who is next in life to be ruler of a race of half-dragons. She is her people’s leader during wartime, and the main focus of the story is her learning to forgive/let go of her bitterness against the enemy nation. It’s one of my more ambitious projects, with the potential to go either really well or really not-well. Either way, I’ll have a fairly good idea by the time I’m finished with the first draft.

I’m also working on revising a story about an orphan boy who wants nothing more in the world than to find a family. He ends up following a magician through a magical portal to another world. While there, he makes the acquaintance of some of the strangest creatures imaginable, does the impossible, and finds a family. It’s more of a middle-or-elementary schooler age book, and a lot of fun to write. I got the idea for it when I was laying on my bed, thinking up strange words and trying to decide what they would mean in a fantasy world. Three weeks later…

Your work in progress sounds amazing! I really like the idea. Good kid’s book these days are hard to find, with all the weird stuff on the market. If you ever need a beta reader, I would love to read it.

I have also signed up for the guild, and am very excited. I can’t wait to find out which one I’m in! I have heard a lot of good things about all of them.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@writerpiper Both of your stories sound so interesting! I wonder what do your half-dragons look like? Do they look like dragons or humans or a mix of both? Or even are they half-human or half-something else? πŸ™‚

Also I love stories in which a person travels from different worlds! There is just so much possibility and it is so much fun to see the different cultures and meet all the creatures and people in each one!

I’ll defiantly keep you in mind as a beta reader once I’m ready for people to start reading my story and giving advice. (I’m in the middle of it’s second draft.) And if you are looking for beta readers I would love to be one for you!

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@evelyn

Ah, hello newcomer. Welcome to our humble abode. *spreads hands*

I am Sarah. Sarah Inkdragon, to be precise. And as you can see, I’m a dragon.

You sound like fun. I like tea to, especially chamomile(because I have issues sleeping), but coffee is still my favorite.

Another team Cap member! *high fives* Team Cap is epic. and Loki is my smol precious boy. (P.S. Have you seen Infinity War? If so… we may weep together for all the lost souls.) I just don’t understand people who don’t like Loki. What is there to not like? And how could you like Thor better? He’s so…. well, Thor.

I see you write fantasy. Congratulations, so do I. Except you don’t want to get me talking about my 50,000 WIPs or we’ll be here for the next month. XD

Not a romance person, huh? I love reading a good romance. Cheesy, or terrible romances are just…. yuck. But a good one I’ll read over and over and over again. Most of my novels have a slight romantic side-plot, and I’ve got one that’s a Fantasy/Romance novel. But don’t worry, I won’t make it into a new Twilight. (Ugh!) πŸ˜‰

Have a nice, dry day feeding the embers.

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

Evelyn
    @evelyn

Hi @sarah-inkdragon!

Thank you for the welcome! You sound like a very nice person too and I’m glad to meet you!

Yes, I have seen Infinity War and I cried so hard in the first scene because of a unnamed incident that would be a huge spoiler. Let us weep together in sorrow. Some lost souls were great ones. Yes. Well, in discussion about Loki and Thor I have told people almost those exact same words: “And how could you like Thor better? He’s so…. well, Thor.”

But I think I explained myself well enough earlier I guess about romances… See I really like the good romances… its the cheesy, awful ones that I don’t like.

I for one do not mind spending hours and hours talking about books or stories, so feel free to share one or more of your WIP. =)

Well, here the day is not dry, but I’m a lover of the rain and storms so I will continue to feed the embers in my dusty attic library.

Filewriter
    @filewriter

@evelyn, Yes, just fine. πŸ™‚

Oh, your WIP sounds intriguing. And original. πŸ˜‰

Well, I have four WIPs at the moment. *wince* I didn’t realize I actually had four until now.

The first is Sci-fi. I probably shouldn’t go into so much detail, because there are like a hundred spoilers I could give you, but the synopsis is on my profile. It’s called Classified: A Hostanica File. And it’s the first of the four Hostanica Files (hence my name)

The second one is called, Firebrand: The Seventh Guardian which I am coauthoring with a friend, an amazing writer I might add. So, that’s fun. So far it’s about this girl, and… since I am not the only one writing it, I should probably not say too much more. Oh, and it’s fantasy.

The third is untitled, and is also fantasy. It is about a blind fur trader/hunter, an abused eighteen year old girl, and a knight/”prince”.

Then… *breaths in deeply* My most recent one which I am just writing for my blog, which is called Killer Projects. Let’s just say… it’s intense. Haha, just kidding. It’s about teens who don’t know anything about themselves really. And who they actually are is kinda scary, as they come to find out. I can’t say a lot about it, but it is Sci-fi.

So, I guess I have two Sci-fi and two Fantasy. I am not totally sure of all the other categories they fit into, but…

Oh, and while you are disusing it, I will join the ranks of people who are “iffy” about romance. Maybe I am even *gag* about it.

Yes, I am in a guild!!! The same one as @sarah-inkdragon actually. Wait, Inkdragon, you didn’t tell me you were Team Cap too! Well, then again, I never asked.

Yes, Loki. Is pretty awesome. I like him a lot better than Thor.Β  I really don’t like Thor. :1

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

writerpiper
    @writerpiper

@evelyn, thanks for the offer, as well as your compliment on my poem. The Drakhar, or half-dragons, look like people, except for the fact that they have huge dragon wings – which their eyes match, leading to some unusual colors. They have a bit more strength and stamina than a normal human, are able to breathe fire, and live to be around 600-650 years old.

It’s kind of funny that it’s raining where you are, because it’s raining where I am as well. Actually, waterfalling would be a more accurate term.

And yes, the unnamed incident in the beginning of Infinity Wars was terrible and I have a running list of all my problems with Thor, as well as the rest of that family’s issues. The unnamed incident at the end, however, was downright tragic. My roommate and I went to see the movie together and we were in silent shock for about an hour after we came out of the theatre. It’s going to be difficult, waiting for the sequel to come out.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@filewriter I like the plots of your WIPs but I have to ask: what is it like co-writing a book? How do you split up the work? 9I’ve never tried doing that before….)

@writerpiper
    Thanks for answering my question. Your Drakhar sound very interesting and I hope I can learn more about them some time! (And I really like the name for them!) That must be a fun subject to write about and those must be fun characters to play around with. πŸ™‚

Olivia Giordano
    @livgiordano

@evelyn Welcome! I’m glad you could join SE. I’m also an unashamed homeschooler and just finishing up my junior year. What grade are you in? (You don’t have to say if you’d rather not)

I love tea too, especially herbal ones.

And I’m a fan of anything Middle Earth. What books by Tolkien have you read? I’ve read Lord ofΒ  the Rings, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, and the Children of Hurin.

I LOVE the premise of your WIP. It seems really original and very interesting.

I have a few WIPs, but I’m currently working on developing “The Potter’s Hands.” It’s in the planning stages still, but I’m really in love with it. Here’s the synopsis:

Coralie grew up as the adopted daughter of a midwife, because her real parents rejected her. Β A strong sense of independence and freedom permeates her life, and she longs to stay who she is forever – just a simple girl doing what she loves – midwifery, and spending time with a band of warriors with the same values as her – equality and justice. But with age comes talk of an arranged marriage, and her girlhood is quickly coming to an end.

When Nathan joined the band – he believed in everything it stood for. Freedom. Equality. The rights of the people. As a former noble, he knew what it was like to be a tyrant – and he hated it. Joining the group was his chance to escape, but now, he is starting to question whether the twisted views of his best friends are worth fighting for. In the name of justice, he is forced to mistreat the ones he sought out to save.

The two, both vying for control, seek out the truth. They question whether life is really worth living when all that they have is taken from them, and are forced to come to terms with who they really are.

And one book that I really love, is Pure Starlight. I’m really hoping that I can get to writing it again soon.

Crystal had always longed to see the earth below. Even as a young child, she wondered what lay below the cloud kingdom of Caelum. Β Her life was perfect, but she longed for something more. But when she rebels against her parents’ wishes, her disobedience costs her all of the privileges she had ever known. She faces rejection from all of her people, and takes this as a chance to escape, and start a new life in the world below. Hurting, lost, and alone, Crystal stumbles across a simple doctor. His name is Gaelen.

With his help, she starts to have hope again. For mistakes do not define her future. And Adonai, the one whom Gaelen teaches her of, is a God of love.

I have a third WIP as well, which I’m cowriting with @filewriter. You already kinda of heard about that, but we haven’t written a synopsis yet, sadly. I was the one who was supposedΒ  to do that, but then totally forgot. Hopefully I can get that written up soon and I could share it.

@filewriter
    I could try to explain how we co-author if you want. But…she asked you. So if you want to, go ahead. πŸ˜‰ Or we could both chime in.

ISFJ / Poet / Realistic Fiction / TCK
    https://livforhim.wordpress.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 196 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.