fb

Salvete! (Hello!)

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Salvete! (Hello!)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@sparrowhawke

Hi Sparrow!

Semper ubi sub ubi is a joke saying that translates as “Always where under where.” But it looks like some genuine Latin phrase like Semper fidelis.

I just thought my mental translation was wrong. XD I read it and thought “No, that doesn’t make sense.” I didn’t realize it’s a joke, and I feel rather silly now XD

Hmm, least favorite book… I’m just going with my least favorite books I finished because I often stop books if I don’t like them. I’d say “Island of the Blue Dolphins” by Scott O’Dell and “Healer’s apprentice” by Melanie Dickerson.

I’d heard a lot of praise for “Island of the Blue Dolphins”, and I loved “The King’s Fith” also by Scott O’Dell, so I was eager to read it, but I really couldn’t get into the story. I like strongly structured stories with a clear beginning, middle, and climax, and the story just couldn’t seem to start.

“Healer’s apprentice” is a Christian historical romance fairytale-retelling thing. (I don’t know how to describe it XD) It was a very, very slow-paced story and I actually guessed the plot twist in like, the second chapter XD. I didn’t really like the protagonist, she was a bit annoying to me and the story never seemed to get anywhere.

Both of these are objectively quite good, but I just didn’t enjoy them. They aren’t really my taste, even though they’re probably amazing for someone else. I suppose I just really like fast-paced books XD

Besides English and Latin, I know a little Koine Greek. I ended up liking Latin way more so my Greek knowledge has faded. Someday, I want to learn Spanish.

That’s so cool! I know Afrikaans, Dutch, English, and Latin. I learned all of them when I was really young. (except Latin.)

Your WIP sounds really neat! I’m always excited to hear about fantasy stories set in some other time and place than medieval Europe.

Thank you so much! Yours sounds really cool too, worldbuilding is my favorite part!

I have read Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress so far. I was going to start Winter, but then my library closed again so I’ll have to wait   Who is your favorite character from the series? I relate to Cinder the most, but I really like Cress, Iko, and Thorne as well.

That’s so cool! I relate to Cress the most, but I think Wolf (Tomatoes!) and Winter are my other favorites. I really like all the characters, honestly.

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@sparrowhawke

Hello! We sound very similar! I also love languages, history and mythology, I’m currently learning Hawaiian and Auslan (sign language). History is also awesome and I think its really cool that you’re into Incan history! I’ve always wanted to study it but I just haven’t had enough time with all my other historical obsessions.

And I didn’t like A Wrinkle in Time either so you’re not alone. My least favourite book is pretty hard though, I really didn’t like Pride and Prejudice or an obscure Australian book called Gould’s Book of Fishes. 

now for my obligatory question…do you/your family have any pets?

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@rose-colored-fancy

Just needed to jump in and say that I hated both of those books too. Island of the Blue Dolphins I genuinely found traumatizing. It was awful. And I just didn’t like Healer’s Apprentice and the other books by the same author.

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@seekjustice

Whew! I’m glad I’m not alone there! “Island of the Blue Dolphins” was such a disappointment XD

"Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." The Tale of Despereaux

Lona
    @lonathecat

@sparrowhawke

Cool! I’ve read the Percy Jackson ones, as well as the Heroes of Olympus ones. I never got around to the other series.

Ohhh that makes sense! Do you write in any other languages aside from Latin? (Phoenixes are great. 😛 )

sparrowhawke
    @sparrowhawke

@rose-colored-fancy

Hehe, that’s okay 🙂 I get confused enough translating real Latin. Are you trilingual?

I thought Island of the Blue Dolphins was disappointing as well and I got really confused at how old Karana was supposed to be. I could not keep track of how much time was passing. I haven’t read The Healer’s Apprentice, but none of Dickerson’s books interest me. The Mulan one interested me when I heard of it, but the setting change was a deal-breaker for me.

@seekjustice

I am glad someone else agrees about Wrinkle! Most everyone seems to love it. I’ll be reading Pride and Prejudice soon. Although I don’t like romance, I’m hoping it will have enough humor for me to enjoy. I’ve seen the BBC version and am proud to say that I relate to Mary the most XD

My family does have two tabby cats, and they are very much my family’s pets and not mine. I am not a pet person. Scandalous, I know. Another introvert stereotype I do not meet. I used to want a turtle, but now I know myself well enough to say that I’m too lazy and germaphobic to care for an animal.

@lonathecat

How does Heroes of Olympus measure up to Percy Jackson? I read the first couple chapters of The Lost Hero and didn’t find them that gripping. It might just be the third-person narration from whom I’ve heard is the most boring character in the series.

I can write a little Greek. A very little. I can pronounce Koine Greek and transliterate both ways. But Latin is what I know best (aside from English, of course).

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@sparrowhawke

Hehe, that’s okay   I get confused enough translating real Latin. Are you trilingual?

Yes! Except I’m also fluent in horse and quite passable in cat XD What writers have you studied in Latin? I’ve had quite a lot, among others: Ceaser, Martialis, Ovidius, and Vergilius. (Not much of any of them though.) I’ve studied some others, but I remember these best. I had my exam on Ovidius.

I thought Island of the Blue Dolphins was disappointing as well and I got really confused at how old Karana was supposed to be. I could not keep track of how much time was passing. I haven’t read The Healer’s Apprentice, but none of Dickerson’s books interest me. The Mulan one interested me when I heard of it, but the setting change was a deal-breaker for me.

IKR? Have you read “The King’s Fith”? It’s much, much better than Island of the Blue Dolphins. It’s a historical novel about the conquistadors and the search for El Dorado/ The City of Gold. It was very interesting, with a great plot and a really interesting double timeline.

What’s your favorite book/series? Or your top five?

sparrowhawke
    @sparrowhawke

@rose-colored-fancy

I’ve studied Caesar’s De Bello Gallico and am currently in Cicero’s orations. I’ll be doing Virgil next year and someday I hope to try Ovid and the Vulgate. I also did some of a modified version of St. Patrick’s Confession a couple years ago. What did Martial write? I’m not very familiar with him.

I have not read The King’s Fifth, but it sounds like it could make good research for my WIP. I’ll have to check it out. Have you read any other O’Dell books?

I do have a lot of favorite books, but I’ll pick five of my most recent favorites:

The Wednesday Wars and Okay For Now – I love the writing style/character voice, and another book in the series, Just Like That, is coming out in January!

The Eagle of the Ninth – I love the writing, the characters, and the setting (anything Roman catches my eye). The movie is pretty good, but differs from the book in many details, and because of that, Marcus and Esca’s relationship is a bit different.

Blank Mastermind – It’s just hilarious and I’ve never gotten such a stupid grin on my face from reading a book. If you haven’t read it yet, definitely do!

Skyward – This has one of the few female characters I actually like, plus a funny robot. And references to Beowulf.

All the Crooked Saints – I wanted a nice fall book and didn’t expect to love this as much as I did. The characters, the writing, and the themes are really good. I can see some being a bit uncomfortable with the way religious elements are handled, but I didn’t mind it and found it respectful.

I hope that wasn’t too long lol

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Lona
    @lonathecat

@sparrowhawke

The Heroes of Olympus ones were more interesting to me because I liked a lot more of the characters. Though, it did get really repetitive. Like, it was recycling a bunch of Percy Jackson scenes and such. Also, I should mention that the last I read both of these series was four years ago, so maybe I’m not the best person to come to for an opinion on them. 😛

Nice! The classics, I see. I can speak Spanish, which is Latin based, so most of the time I can translate from Latin, but not vice versa.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@sparrowhawke

Hi Sparrow!

I’ve studied Caesar’s De Bello Gallico and am currently in Cicero’s orations. I’ll be doing Virgil next year and someday I hope to try Ovid and the Vulgate. I also did some of a modified version of St. Patrick’s Confession a couple years ago. What did Martial write? I’m not very familiar with him.

That’s really cool! I’ve translated some of De Bello Gallico, but not much. I think I might have translated a part of the oration against Catalina? Maybe? I don’t remember it clearly. I only remember I didn’t really enjoy Cicero, he had terribly complicated texts. XD. What do you think of it? What’s your favorite thing you’ve translated so far?

I translated a few of Martial’s Epigrams. They’re short, satirical verses. (Mostly cynical griping too XD) They were actually quite funny. I distinctly remember a rant about a Roman man who wore rings on every finger to prove to everyone how rich he was, but he couldn’t afford a jewelry box to put them in. Mostly things along that line.

I studied some of Virgil’s Aneas, but it was canceled for my exam so I didn’t finish it. I did struggle with it though XD.

I have not read The King’s Fifth, but it sounds like it could make good research for my WIP. I’ll have to check it out. Have you read any other O’Dell books?

No, only those two. After “Island of the Blue Dolphins” I didn’t read any more XD. But I do sincerely recommend “The King’s Fith.” I really liked the protagonist, Esteban. The relationships in the book were really good too, and the plot kept you wondering what really happened to the very end.

I’ll totally check out your recommendations! Thank you!

Maya Joelle
    @mayajoelle

@sparrowhawke Salve! Nice to meet another Latin speaker (well, as close as one can get to being one without anyone actually speaking it today) (as you can tell, I’m rather bitter about that). What are some of your favorite Latin words?

fear no evil | may evil fear you

sparrowhawke
    @sparrowhawke

@lonathecat

Nice! Spanish is like the only other language I can see myself putting effort into learning. I have heard it is very close to Latin, even compared to other Romance languages.

@rose-colored-fancy

I actually like Cicero, but he is difficult. There’s a joke that goes like this: A senator was late to the senate on the day Cicero was giving a speech. He sat down and asked the senator next to him, “What’s he talking about?” The other senator replied, “I don’t know–he hasn’t gotten to the verb yet!” Martial sounds entertaining. I might’ve learned a saying or two from him, but I don’t know.

@mayajoelle

Salve Maya! Nice to meet another Latinist! I’m not sure about favorite Latin words, but I do find declining hic, haec, hoc rather fun. Stultus -a -um is rather handy for insulting siblings under your breath 😉 And I kind of like pulcher, because it sounds kind of icky but means “beautiful”. There’s an archaic word “pulchritude” that means beauty, and I can just imagine what would happen nowadays if you said someone was a person of great pulchritude. It sounds insulting to me XD

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@sparrowhawke

Hi Sparrow!

That’s a good one, and totally true. Same with Virgil. Sometimes the verb would be halfway down the page!

My turn for a Latin joke!

Did you hear of the frog who did Latin prose competition? The other frogs said of him “Scribit, Scribit”

sparrowhawke
    @sparrowhawke

@rose-colored-fancy

Oh, that’s funny! I’ve also heard one, not necessarily a Latin joke, but about a centurion going into a bar, holding up two fingers, and saying, “Five drinks please”.

And then there’s all the jokes about how you know five different ways to say kill, death, or murder but you can’t converse about the weather.

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@sparrowhawke

IKR!? I thought it was hilarious that the Romans had a specific word for: ‘maker of tunics with long sleeves’ but they don’t have a word for ‘yes’.(Unless you count ‘certe’) Who thought that was a good idea?

Here’s something else I thought was quite funny:

Learning modern foreign languages:

Hello. How are you? Where is the train station?

Learning ancient languages:

Life is long and hard. Each day barbarians kill another member of our beloved family and pirates, with all of our grain having been stolen, have left us to starve. (Note the “graceful” sentence structure. XD)

The Romans were quite cheerful, weren’t they? XD

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Pin It on Pinterest