fb

Salvete! (Hello!)

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Salvete! (Hello!)

• This topic has 30 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 months ago by Lona.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Bethania Gauterius
    @sparrowhawke

Salvete scriptores comites! (Hello fellow writers!)

You can call me Sparrow. I’m a proud nerd who reads and writes in languages living and dead. Like most writers, I’m an introvert; unlike most writers, I dislike coffee and tea. (Their taste does not live up to their scent.)

I’ll read most any genre (though I generally steer clear of romance), but I mainly write fantasy. I also have some contemporary ideas flitting about in my head. And, ya know, some dystopian, sci-fi, mystery…but could I pull those off? Probably not.

I’m an INTP (probably), a 5w6 (pretty sure), and a Ravenclaw (absolutely positive). I get a lot of inspiration from history and mythology and currently I’m interested in the Incas. Not exactly sure how that started, but I’m glad it did.

That it’s for now! I’ve been following SE for a while now and I’m excited to start exploring the forum and meet you all!

Valete! (Goodbye, or literally, be well!)

"For He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust." - Psalm 103:14

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@sparrowhawke

Hey *waves* Nice to meet another writer who doesn’t drink coffee.๐Ÿ˜„ I only like it if it’s iced.

I’m Arindown. Teenage girl that loves cats, fantasy, and farming. At the moment, I’m trudging through the first draft of my first novel.

Would you mind sharing what one of your “main” work-in-progresses is about?๐Ÿ˜‰

Not all those who wander are lost.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@sparrowhawke

Hi Sparrow!

I wish I could also greet you in Latin, but my knowledge is sorely lacking in everyday Latin, although I know at least ten different ways to say “Troy” or “Trojan”. I’m also a language nerd and wholeheartedly agree with your opinion that Virgilius was a fanfic writer.

Do you speak/write any languages besides Latin and English?

I haven’t been writing very long and am busily editing the first draft of my first novel while writing the first draft of my second novel. It’s actually one project since it’s (hopefully) going to be a trilogy. It’s a fantasy (loosely) inspired by late medieval/early renaissance North-Africa/Middle-east. I’m having a lot of fun with the setting and time period!

I see you also like Marissa Meyer’s books? Which have you read? I’ve read all of the Lunar Chronicles except for “Stars Above” and “Fairest”. I intend to read these fairly soon though๐Ÿ˜‰ Which have you read?

Are you working on a WIP now or are you in between projects?

So nice to meet you!

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by Rose.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Bethania Gauterius
    @sparrowhawke

Nice to meet you both!

Since you both asked about a WIP…

Currently I’m trying to solidify parts of my storyworld so I can start writing my first novel. The world has eight races in addition to humans and has an elemental magic system that I like to think is unique. I want to make the world very large so I can set a ton of different stories in it. The one I plan to work on next year is inspired by the Incan conquest (both their own conquests and the Spanishย  conquest of the Incas) but it also has monsters and magic minerals.

And, just for fun, what are you guy’s least favorite books? I prefer to ask this over favorite because it seems easier to answer and IMO, it tells you more about the person. Mine is A Wrinkle in Time (don’t hurt me lol). I found it cheesy and I didn’t like Meg. But for a least favorite book it’s not that bad. Most of the time I’m pretty good at picking books I like.

And specifically @rose-colored-fancy

I am glad to meet someone else who agrees about Virgil XD I like to joke that I’ve had to read fanfic for school.

Besides English and Latin, I know a little Koine Greek. I ended up liking Latin way more so my Greek knowledge has faded. Someday, I want to learn Spanish.

Your WIP sounds really neat! I’m always excited to hear about fantasy stories set in some other time and place than medieval Europe.

I have read Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress so far. I was going to start Winter, but then my library closed again so I’ll have to wait ๐Ÿ™ Who is your favorite character from the series? I relate to Cinder the most, but I really like Cress, Iko, and Thorne as well.

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@sparrowhawke *flicks two fingers off forehead* Konnichiwa! (Japanese and ASL nerd here)

YES ANOTHER WRITER WHO’S NOT A COFFEE/TEA PERSON!! I just like hot cocoa XD

I’m an INFP, type 9, and proud Hufflepuff. All three of those point to a pure cinnamon roll, but in addition to that I’m a firecracker lol.

Welcome to the forums! I’m only here off and on these days, but it’s an awesome place. Hope you enjoy it!

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Bethania Gauterius
    @sparrowhawke

Hi @naiya-dyani ! I have a friend who studies Japanese so I’m rather acquainted with konnichiwa ๐Ÿ˜‰ ASL is something else I’d like to learn, as well as Braille (I have pretty awful vision so it could be useful someday).

Hope to see you around too!

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@sparrowhawke Hey, if you need a place to learn ASL, lifeprint.com is an amazing site for that!! @hope-mcclellan and I both learned it there. The teacher’s both quality and hysterical, and you get a lot on Deaf culture too!

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Zee
    @zee

Welcome, @sparrowhawke! This is a great site (as I suppose you already know) and I’m sure you’ll enjoy yourself here. Am I correct in assuming that Wheelock’s features prominently in your past?

Lona
    @lonathecat

@sparrowhawke

Hey Sparrow! Welcome to Story Embers!

I like mythology too! Well, more so legends and traditional stories now, but I used to be super into mythology. Especially Greco-Roman ones for some reason. Have you read any of Rick Rioradan’s books? He does a lot of different mythology-based novels.

Also, if you don’t mind, where does your username come from? Do you just like sparrows and hawks?

Hope to see you around! ๐Ÿ™‚

Bethania Gauterius
    @sparrowhawke

@zee

Actually, I haven’t used Wheelock’s. I’ve used the Forms series and am currently in Henle translating Cicero, which, in my opinion, is much more interesting than Caesar. Are you familiar with Wheelock’s?

@lonathecat

Greco-Roman mythology is my favorite too. I’ve only read the Percy Jackson books, but someday I hope to get to the rest of the series.

I came up with sparrowhawke because a) I love birds, especially owls and hummingbirds (and phoenixes ;)) b) “Sparrow” sounds pretty much like <I>spero</i>, which is Latin for “I hope” and c) “Hawke” is the name for one of my characters who I have yet to write.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@sparrowhawke

Allo!

I am Kimmi, but, you see that. (:

I agree that coffee doesn’t taste near as good as the smell, though I do enjoy a good cup of tea.

How many languages do you know? Why did you choose to learn them?

All to say:

Welcome to StoryEmbers!!!!!!

Jominkreesa

Passion = A Willingness To Suffer

Bethania Gauterius
    @sparrowhawke

Hi @kimlikesart !

I think I do prefer tea to coffee, but hot chocolate is my warm beverage of choice.

I know English, Latin, and a little Biblical Greek. Around six years ago my mom started getting interested in classical education, and I wanted to start Latin right then instead of starting in high school. Probably one of the best decisions in my life, no joke. I took a few years of Greek, but I didn’t enjoy it as much as Latin. It’s my favorite subject now, and when people say it’s a useless dead language–well let’s just say, I have a few choice useless dead words for them XD

What is “jominkreesa” in your signature? I think I saw someone else using that word in their signature.

What kind of art do you do? I mostly draw, but I’m not super great at it.

Nice to meet you!

claire
    @claire-h

@sparrowhawke

Nice to meet you! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m actually studying Koine Greek right now. Lots of work, lol.

Also, your signature. XD The only other place I’ve seen that saying before is in a detective video game that I like to play, lol.ย  That’s the only reason I know what it means.

Ooh, Incans …very cool. My futuristic WIP is actually set in the Peruvian Amazon.

a flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it.
    it just blooms.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@sparrowhawke

Oooh, hot cocoa’s good. (:

Wow. Starting before high-school probably helped you a lot. Good decision indeed.

Ah, yes, the famous question. ๐Ÿ˜„ What is Jominkreesa? And what does it mean?

It is a secret that is not mine to tell. I’m sorry. ๐Ÿ˜•

The other person you saw with it was part of the secret, or…more of a pact.

My lips are sealed. ๐Ÿ˜

I love to color, or sketch. Landscapes espeacially, but I’ve done a few animals, and people. (The people are like good cartoons.)

What do you like to draw?

So…. your existence rests on thought? Or…. Would you explain ‘Semper ubi sub ubi.’ for me? ๐Ÿ˜ถ

Jominkreesa

Passion = A Willingness To Suffer

Bethania Gauterius
    @sparrowhawke

@claire-h

Hi there! That’s neat you’re learning Koine too. And, I’m happy someone else recognizes the signature. I thought about doing a serious one but then I just went with this to see if anyone would get it.

Also, your WIP sounds very cool and unique.

@kimlikesart

Fine then, keep your secrets ๐Ÿ˜‰

I draw people, mainly from my own imagination. Eyes and short hair are hard for me. I can do animals if I have instructions. I’m best at doodling lol.

Semper ubi sub ubiย is a joke saying that translates as “Always where under where.” But it looks like some genuine Latin phrase likeย Semper fidelis.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest