fb

Salutations!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Tiffany
    @tiffanyjarviswrites

Hello writers! I hope to come to know some of you by name soon, mine is Tiffany.

I’m a stay home mom, homeschooling a couple elementary-aged kiddies. I also have a Mouse Eater named Tin Tin. My husband, James, is relentless in his attempts to make me smile. Each family member keeps my life full of pep. When I’ve got some time and I choose not to do sewing, hiking, or gardening, I usually read a book in the quietest and most private place a mother can go. I also write, but that usually doesn’t happen in the bathroom. Cue toilet flush.

I joined Story Embers to learn to write, make friends (I think I need some of those), and share myself. It takes courage to go from mortified middle-grade love poet to brazen born-again storyteller, something I hope to accomplish with help from all of you here at Story Embers. I’m certain I will forge many deep friendships here and learn a thing or several to apply to my writing.

Lona
    @lonathecat

@tiffanyjarviswrites

Hello! Welcome to Story Embers!

I think everyone can always use more friends, and am glad to meet you. Out of curiosity, when you do get the chance to read, what genre or author do you like best? Any books that you would especially recommend?

Hope to see you around!

(Also, just need to say that I love your cat’s name. 🙂 )

• This reply was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by Lona. Reason: Forgot to add the tag
    Tiffany
    @tiffanyjarviswrites

@lonathecat

Hi Lona! It’s nice to meet you.

I actually didn’t name TinTin! He’s an adopted kitty from a hoarder’s home. The name stuck. Believe me though, he acts more like a dog than a cat sometimes.

I’d have to say romance is my go to genre. The way two different character’s arcs merge to form one solid cohesive story pulls me back to the shelf every time. I’d recommend Penny Reid’s Winston Brother’s Series for small town romance. There’s a lot I haven’t read yet.

What is your favorite genre? Are you currently reading? If so, what?

Zee
    @zee

Welcome, Tiffany! It’s nice to meet you, and nice to know there’s another busy mom on here. Not a lot of time to write with all the busy little people, but way more fun!

That’s cool you write romance. I do, too! It’s fun because it is such an interesting character study…

Tiffany
    @tiffanyjarviswrites

@zee

Hi Zee, it’s certainly nice to meet you too. I’m happy there’s other moms here. I have a daughter and a son. Writing with them can be challenging at times, but I’ve produced some pretty sweet bedtime stories on the spot.

What’s your favorite romance trope?

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@tiffanyjarviswrites

Hello there! It’s nice to meet the new faces ’round Story Embers.

On the internet, I’m Mischievous Thwapling, which is something from a book series. (Have you ever heard of the Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson?) I often go by Thwapling, however, though I’ve even been called Thwapsy, ha ha. You can call me whatever you wish to 😛

Here’s a random question (I hope you don’t mind me asking):

What’s the funniest thing you’ve seen a kid do? (One of your own, perhaps, or maybe just a random one at the play ground 😛 ) Kids tend to do hilarious things.. and it’s always nice to hear some of them. XD

If your dreams turn to dust... vacuum.
    ~Author Unknown

Tiffany
    @tiffanyjarviswrites

@mischievous-thwapling

Nice to meet you too Thwapling! I have heard of the Wingfeather Saga, but I have not read any Andrew Peterson yet. I do have the first book on my TBR list though.

I don’t mind random questions.

Funniest but its kinda cruel. My daughter walked into a door once. She was three. It wasn’t the normal experience of walking into a door. She face planted perfectly into the side of it.

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@tiffanyjarviswrites

Nice! It’s one of my favorite series 🙂

Yay! I love random questions.

Oooh, ouch. Poor girl XD I’ve walked into plenty of glass doors myself, if I’m honest.

If your dreams turn to dust... vacuum.
    ~Author Unknown

Zee
    @zee

Hmmm, good question, @tiffanyjarviswrites. I think it’s probably two people getting together who don’t really know each other–or maybe don’t even like each other. At least that was my last one. In my current one, the couple is already married, but they’re realizing they didn’t know each other as well as they thought they did.

What about you?

Lona
    @lonathecat

@tiffanyjarviswrites

That’s so cool! I’m glad you could give him a good home.

Ooh I haven’t heard of those, but I’ll look into them. I normally stick to fantasy, but lately I’ve been branching out a lot more. For example, right now I’m reading George Macdonald’s The Curate’s Awakening, which is some cross between a romance and a quest for spiritual meaning. I think it’s great, but then again, I’m biased towards anything George Macdonald writes.

Tiffany
    @tiffanyjarviswrites

Oh, I like that @Zee! Are you currently reading or writing this romance?

I don’t know of enough books that have married couples reigniting their relationship. Perhaps I haven’t dug enough to find more titles. There should be a market for that kind of book too. The romance market is definitely saturated with new couples and triangles.

The last book I read with a married couple was The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey, but it’s not a romance. I may read about 6 books a year… I’m workin’ on that.

I’d have to say my favorite trope is enemies to soul mates kinda thing. Maybe competing or having opposing views of each other. I think those types of romances can be pretty slow burners though, but well worth it.

Tiffany
    @tiffanyjarviswrites

@Lonathecat

Ha Ha! Yeah, I’d be pretty bias too if I found an author who’s portfolio of work I completely admired. I haven’t heard of George Macdonald. I’ll have to look into his books sometime. Maybe I’ll add a title to my TBR. What would you recommend is his best work?

PS: You can be totally bias! lol.

Zee
    @zee

@tiffanyjarviswrites, I was referring to the last one I wrote, and the one I’m starting work on. The last one was kind of an enemies-to-friends-to-lovers thing (except, due to extenuating circumstances, they ended up getting married well before they make it to the end of that progression.) It was complicated. Still is. Fortunately, their love story is in two parts, so they’ve got time…

In the current one, the couple is married from the beginning, and you’re totally right! It’s hard to find “already-married” romances, but I don’t know why. After all, the getting together and getting married is only the beginning of the relationship.

I forgot to ask–have you ever shared/published any stories, or do you write mainly for yourself?

Tiffany
    @tiffanyjarviswrites

@Zee

Oh, so the last one you wrote is a series?

No, I’ve never willingly shared/published any of my poems or stories. I’m working on that too.

These days I tell stories to my kids and write half-started scribbles for myself. I’m not really sure which kind of story, genre, or audience I want to write.

Zee
    @zee

@tiffanyjarviswrites, Yep. I’m halfway through a six-book series. Pretty fun, and (for me at least) one of the good things that’s come out of the Coronavirus epidemic. I’d never have had so much time to write otherwise.

StoryEmbers is a great place, particularly for writers just getting started, so expect to find your skill and confidence levels rising soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.