fb

Sabre Black – The Character

Forums Fiction Characters Sabre Black – The Character

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    A.N. Parker
    @bigideaskc

@the-fledgling-artist @kari-karast @h-jones

Hey, all! So, here’s my little fact sheet about Sabre. I’ll expand on her backstory, too.

And there you have it! For now. ๐Ÿ˜› So, for Sabre’s backstory, she was born a dimoni, then realized what the Foscor (the dimonis’ army) was doing was wrong. When Sabre was only ten years old, she ran away from her home in South Andoren and tried to make a new home in North Andoren with the Llum (the serahs’ army). Two serahs, Feliรง and Riallada Meran adopted Sabre, like the daughter they had lost. She then gets closer to her adopted brother Daurat.

That’s just simple backstory for now. Thoughts, anyone?

(P.S. Everyone, feel free to use this Comprehensive Character Attribute Form that I used with Sabre as a free writing tool! If any of you wanted, I could give y’all the blank version for you to fill out on Adobe Acrobat or something else. ๐Ÿ™‚ )

Grammar Geek | Steampunk Enthusiast | Published Author | Winged Warrior | Avatar by RedPhoenix15

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

I think she sounds cool. ๐Ÿ˜‰ The only caution I would give is that her flaw seems kind of weak to me. (Personally. It’s okay if you disagree.) I completely understand not wanting to “ruin” your precious cinnamon roll children with flaws, but in the long run, their flaws are actually what makes them interesting. I think being insecure is an okay flaw, but as a standalone flaw it comes off as weak. I think for side characters weaker flaws can be more acceptable, but as a protagonist, I think Sabre needs to go deeper. By presenting flaws in your MCs you are inviting your readers on their journey of change. If a story doesn’t involve (and put it center stage, actually) character change, it usually bores me.
    I’m sorry if I sound like I’m attacking your brainchild, I actually think you’re off to a really great start! <3

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

I think she’s awesome!!!

"You can dance with my henchman."

A.N. Parker
    @bigideaskc

I think she sounds cool. ๐Ÿ˜‰ The only caution I would give is that her flaw seems kind of weak to me. (Personally. Itโ€™s okay if you disagree.) I completely understand not wanting to โ€œruinโ€ your precious cinnamon roll children with flaws, but in the long run, their flaws are actually what makes them interesting. I think being insecure is an okay flaw, but as a standalone flaw it comes off as weak. I think for side characters weaker flaws can be more acceptable, but as a protagonist, I think Sabre needs to go deeper. By presenting flaws in your MCs you are inviting your readers on their journey of change. If a story doesnโ€™t involve (and put it center stage, actually) character change, it usually bores me. Iโ€™m sorry if I sound like Iโ€™m attacking your brainchild, I actually think youโ€™re off to a really great start! <3

Attacking? Not at all, haha! I definitely need this. ๐Ÿ™‚ Although, what you did say about “ruining the precious character” is actually not a thing for me. I definitely think it’d be good to give a deeper flaw – believe me, I know how important flaws can be. I listen to three different professional Udemy courses, all of which tell me how important flaws are to a character. Please believe me when I say all of them talk a little too much about changing not just the MC, but the reader also, haha.

I’ll continue to develop her flaw – thanks so much for your input! ๐Ÿ˜€

I think sheโ€™s awesome!!!

Thanks so much! ๐Ÿ™‚

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by A.N. Parker.

Grammar Geek | Steampunk Enthusiast | Published Author | Winged Warrior | Avatar by RedPhoenix15

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

Phew, that’s great! I never really know how much to say to people, especially since I’m so new to writing (I’m afraid I might end up giving someone bad advice).
    I honestly think Sabre sounds pretty cool though! (And I love her name)

A.N. Parker
    @bigideaskc

Phew, thatโ€™s great! I never really know how much to say to people, especially since Iโ€™m so new to writing (Iโ€™m afraid I might end up giving someone bad advice).

LOL, yeah, no problem! And welcome to the Writersphere, then! ๐Ÿ˜€ Hey, I don’t mean to go off-topic, but I was just going to ask – how long have you been writing? ๐Ÿ™‚

(Oh, and by the way, I love your profile picture! Did you draw that?)

I honestly think Sabre sounds pretty cool though! (And I love her name)

LOL, thank you! The name was actually originally going to be Sable Black, but I somehow decided Sabre was much cooler. Plus, she’s epic with a sword so it kinda fits. ๐Ÿ˜›

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by A.N. Parker.

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

Yes, I did draw it. ^-^ I’m not entirely sure what it is, but I thought it suited itself as a profile image.
    I’ve had an interest in writing for years, and have been soaking in head knowledge about it all this time, but I’ve only in the past few months worked up the courage to start writing stuff. It actually all started when I got tagged in a thread for a roleplay here on SE. (up until then I had joined the forums with the intention of learning more about storytelling so I could understand how to plot a comic/graphic novel well. I still very much have an interest in comics.) I joined the roleplay hoping to get a deeper understand of some of my characters, and I succeeded in that, but I also discovered that I really enjoyed the process of writing itself. For so long I didn’t try because I was afraid to fail, and while I’m still afraid of failure, I find the process to be enjoyable enough to be worth the risk. I’ve only ever finished a very short 1,000 word story, but at least I can say I’ve finished something. xD As of now I really want to keep writing short stories so I can get better. Right now I’m writing a fan fiction (Josiah Degraf actually recommended that as a good writing exercise for me considering where I’m at.) about some of the characters from the roleplay I did. (it’s actually still going, but it has slowed down haha.)

… Wow, sorry, that was a really long and probably confusing answer.

A.N. Parker
    @bigideaskc

Yes, I did draw it. ^-^ Iโ€™m not entirely sure what it is, but I thought it suited itself as a profile image.

That’s awesome! ๐Ÿ˜€ I love it! It’s so cute! ๐Ÿ™‚ It looks like a cute whiskered raccoon cub. XD

It actually all started when I got tagged in a thread for a roleplay here on SE.

Oh, that’s awesome! So they do role plays here too? Cool. ๐Ÿ˜€ I looove role playing, haha. It’s cool to see they do them here on Story Embers, too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Iโ€™ve only ever finished a very short 1,000 word story, but at least I can say Iโ€™ve finished something. xD

That’s still awesome! ๐Ÿ˜€ Congratulations!

As of now I really want to keep writing short stories so I can get better. Right now Iโ€™m writing a fan fiction (Josiah Degraf actually recommended that as a good writing exercise for me considering where Iโ€™m at.) about some of the characters from the roleplay I did.

Wow, awesome! Yes, short stories, role plays and fan-fictions are all incredibly good for the Writerfall, as I like to call it – the writer waterfall. ๐Ÿ˜› It’s basically keeping the river flowing, hehe, and making sure you don’t stop writing. ๐Ÿ™‚

โ€ฆ Wow, sorry, that was a really long and probably confusing answer.

Long? Don’t worry about it, haha! I love the juicy details. ^-^ Confusing? Not at all. I perfectly understood that. That’s so awesome that you’re really interested in writing. ๐Ÿ™‚ Well, you’ve probably been learning sooo much from these awesome Emberian peeps, but if you need any writerly or publishing-wise advice or anything, please let me know and I’d love to help, being a two-time published author and all. ๐Ÿ˜€

Also, quick question about your art – do you take commissions? LOL, just curious.

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@bigideaskc
    Ooh, you’ve published twice?? Did you self publish, or traditionally publish?
    I don’t advertise, but I have taken a commission before after someone approached me. I’m not very professional, but it was fun. ๐Ÿ˜€

A.N. Parker
    @bigideaskc

@bigideaskc Ooh, youโ€™ve published twice?? Did you self publish, or traditionally publish?

We self-published both of my books, but on my second book, we did go through a professional publisher, editor, illustrator, etc. but then it kinda fell through and we had to self-publish. :/

I donโ€™t advertise, but I have taken a commission before after someone approached me. Iโ€™m not very professional, but it was fun. ๐Ÿ˜€

That’s cool! ๐Ÿ˜€ Sooo… Uh… Do you think you could draw something small for me? If not, no big deal, haha. Just curious. ๐Ÿ™‚

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@bigideaskc Aww, that’s a bummer the second one fell through. I’m glad you were able to get it published anyways though. Were they children’s books? You mentioned hiring an illustrator.

I’d be open to discussion about a commission. I’d say whether I feel like I can accept or not depends entirely on what you’re looking for.ย  ๐Ÿ˜‰ Medium, subject, size, etc. etc.

A.N. Parker
    @bigideaskc

Were they childrenโ€™s books? You mentioned hiring an illustrator.

The first one is a children’s book, yes, but the second one is a sci-fi novel more geared toward teens, tweens, young adults, adults and up. LOL!

Iโ€™d be open to discussion about a commission. Iโ€™d say whether I feel like I can accept or not depends entirely on what youโ€™re looking for. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Medium, subject, size, etc. etc.

Oh, I was thinking of something really easy for you to do, hehe. Do you think you could do… Say, a small picture of the head of a fox or something? :O

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

I could try something like that, but I don’t think I could do it digitally like my icon was.

A.N. Parker
    @bigideaskc

I could try something like that, but I donโ€™t think I could do it digitally like my icon was.

Gotcha. Do you have any ideas for anything else that’d be easy for you to draw? ๐Ÿ™‚

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

I actually draw cartoony people more than anything else, so that would probably be the easiest, but animals and plants are okay too. If you’d like, you could see what type of work I normally do on my Instagram. (if you have one, if not that’s alright haha.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest