fb

S.O.S.: Outline help

Forums Fiction Plotting S.O.S.: Outline help

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Can someone please help me? I am trying to see what to do after outlining the nine scenes on the Story Embers plot sheet. Someone, @Daeus-lamb, @Maddie-jay, anyone help!!

I have been asking around on other parts of the forum and no one has answered.

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@kjames0813 Let’s see, that’s the fillable three-act plot structure, isn’t it? I don’t know if I’ve ever gone through that document. Once you’ve got your outline though, you can just start writing the story. Was there something more specific you wanted to know?

πŸ˜€
    πŸ‘•πŸ‘
    πŸ‘– 🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Anonymous

@Daeus-lamb, I didn’t know whether to expand with more scenes or not. Also, the percentages in the plot outline are confusing.

Is there a book where you guys got the template from?

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@kjames0813 ah, okay. Whether you want to outline more is really up to you. People who love to outline are called plotters and people who don’t like to outline are called pansters. You can find all sorts of articles about it online.

The percentages in the plot outline are to help you with pacing. For instance, if the outline tells you to put a major scene at the 25% mark, it’s because that’s a good place for thatΒ type of scene. It will feel natural at that point in the story. Too much earlier and there wouldn’t be enough build up. Too much later and the story would drag.

If you want to learn more about plot, I highly recommend K.M.Weiland’s booksΒ Structuring your novel and the companion bookΒ 5 Secrets of Story Structure. I think every author should read them.

πŸ˜€
    πŸ‘•πŸ‘
    πŸ‘– 🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Anonymous

Thank you, @Daeus-lamb, you are very helpful. I don’t know if I am a plotter or pantser, because for my first book, I sort of outlined as I went. I will check out the books you said. Thank you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest