fb

Rubber boots and tennis balls

Forums Fiction Characters Rubber boots and tennis balls

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

@erynne I’m so glad you found my advice helpful! That makes me feel amazing, to be honest. 🙂

I’ve seen three versions of a movie of the story of Little Women… I’d still say that they never out and out said Jo wanted Meg not to marry because she ‘didn’t need a man’, but because she thought that they should just be Meg and Jo together forever. Technically it’s true that not every woman ‘needs a man’, i.e. has to fall in love and get married to be complete… not all women get married. I do agree that they infused Jo with more modern feminist actions and opinions in the movies, but I would still say that no version turned her rampaging femi-nazi. Despite the small changes, any version of Little Women still remains my favorite, because it’s one of my favorite stories ever and any time I get a movie or tv version to watch is a cause for celebration. (I’m still waiting for the mini-series where they do every single incident in the books… XD)

I'm short, I like words, and I love people.
    No, I didn't draw my profile pic.

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

@erynne I’m so glad you found my advice helpful! That makes me feel amazing, to be honest. 🙂

I’ve seen three versions of a movie of the story of Little Women… I’d still say that they never out and out said Jo wanted Meg not to marry because she ‘didn’t need a man’, but because she thought that they should just be Meg and Jo together forever. Technically it’s true that not every woman ‘needs a man’, i.e. has to fall in love and get married to be complete… not all women get married. I do agree that they infused Jo with more modern feminist actions and opinions in the movies, but I would still say that no version turned her rampaging femi-nazi. Despite the small changes, any version of Little Women still remains my favorite, because it’s one of my favorite stories ever and any time I get a movie or tv version to watch is a cause for celebration. (I’m still waiting for the mini-series where they do every single incident in the books… XD)

Erynne
    @erynne

@anne-of-lothlorien

That makes me feel amazing, to be honest.

Well it should, because you are! 😉

I believe in the 19- I think it was 94 version Jo kind of insinuated that Meg didn’t need a man, but yes, it was because she thought it should be them two forever.

I do agree that not every woman needs a man, I mean yeah, there are single women out there lol. However, I don’t agree that a woman doesn’t need a man because they’re “too good for a man” and “can do anything a man can do.” I believe if a woman is called to be single, it’s because that’s what she feels God intended for her.

Yessss that would be absolutely amazing!! Little Women is one of my favorites too, they just leave so much out of the movies (like always) I figured it out though, instead of movies, they should make books into tv shows where one episode=one chapter and each book in the series=one season (give or take)

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

@erynne – I’m so glad you found it helpful! 🙂

I’ve seen three movie version of Little Women and I still would not say that she ever wants Meg to not get married because she ‘doesn’t need a man’, but because she wants it to be Meg and her together forever and for Meg to be happy just with her sisters. There’s a difference between not wanting their relationships to change, and thinking that her sister shouldn’t tie herself to a man because she doesn’t need one to complete herself. Technically, it is true that a woman does not need a man… many women don’t get married. As Christians we are ‘complete’ in Christ, a whole entity that finds our identity through Jesus Christ, and many women end up staying single and having fulfilled and blessed lives.

I do agree that Jo was infused with more modern feminism in the movie version, but I don’t think they turned her into a total feminist or feminazi, particularly because while she may have problems, she learns that she’s wrong, and ends up settled and happy in her own marriage. I still adore any of the movies even though they’ve changed things slightly, because Little Women is one of my all time favorite stories and seeing it acted out is a pleasure every time. 🙂 (I’m still waiting for the mini-series that includes every single occurrence and conversation from the novel XD)

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

@erynne Okay there’s going to be like three comments on here that are saying the same thing but slightly different because I thought my computer was glitching and rewrote my comments three times but it submitted every one. XD Sorry 😛

Erynne
    @erynne

@anne-of-lothlorien

Ah I hate it when that happens. I responded a few days ago, I’m not sure if it posted or not though

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest