fb

Romance… *nervous cough*

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Romance… *nervous cough*

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

@brandon @wordsmith Hey what are friends for except to tease each other, right? 😀 Or are you brothers?

I think, Brandon, you’ve hit on the reason I never liked Kili and Tauriel that much. I didn’t want it to happen, I never saw them as a couple that would work together and not just because of the height difference, so I wasn’t pleased when it did happen.

@wordsmith
    – That is actually very close to what I was envisioning. I don’t think it’s only about him, though. His not coming forward and saying he liked her more than a friend was part of it, because she realizes before he does that she’s interested in him, so she’s waiting to maybe see if he would. But she doesn’t really feel like there is a reason to stay in this town. She doesn’t realize before now how much it has come to mean to her, and because her foster parents kicked her out and she doesn’t technically have a real home, she was just going to move on.

Yes, there is a hidden lion in him, which I actually enjoy writing a somewhat gentler guy who still has the strong protector side. Before he realizes his affection for Felicity it usually comes out in protection and defense of Angel, the little girl with mental disabilities, or his sister, Gloria.

You don’t need to apologize at all! It’s great that you’re having fun with this – I am too. I never thought I would get so many good responses. I think I was maybe a bit afraid most other young writers had trepidation about writing romance, but it seems I was wrong and I’m so glad! I’ve gotten some really, really good writing advice and constructive criticism on this topic that I will definitely put to use. Thank you!

I'm short, I like words, and I love people.
    No, I didn't draw my profile pic.

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

I meant, @brandon-miller. My new motto, just so you know, is IHT. I hate tags.

@wordsmith
    Is Evelyn your sister? I don’t know all the people here that are related besides the Flournoys. And that’s easy to tell not only because I know them but because how many people are named Flournoy?

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@anne-of-lothlorien

@brandon-miller
    … Should we act like brother and confuse her? Bahahahaha! No. We are not brothers… I just like teasing Brandon because he’s my Guildmaster, and I feel like he can take my teasings… Do we sound like brothers?

And I am soooo glad my ramblings are helpful.

So I was thinking that although she wants him to ask, she may not realize she’s waiting for that, even though it makes her sad that she doesn’t. So what if she doesn’t think she has a reason, but something about it still makes her sad. She feels like she is being let down. Is that how you were envisioning?

Published author, reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@anne-of-lothlorien

Haha! @evelyn… she connected the dots… that is a fun question. She might be my sister… Or she might not be. We aren’t exactly sure… though sometimes it seems like it. If anything she would be my little sister.

Brandon Miller
    @brandon-miller

@anne IHT is… appropriate.  And no, not brothers.  Future partners in crime maybe.  Or perhaps we’ll have a victim/suspect relationship.  Who knows?

---
    Fair Winds and Following Seas,
    Brandon Miller -- Wesley Turner

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@anne-of-lothlorien @wordsmith Oh dear….

I told you that people would get confused.  XD

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

@wordsmith Yeah, you did seem to interact like brothers. 😀 Ooh, I wish I was in the guilds! I missed the sign-ups and they haven’t opened them again yet. Yeah, you did seem to interact like brothers. 😀

That is oh so close. I’m getting warmer, I think, to catching the envisioning I’ve had for the ending. I think it would be good to have something like that… something like… she has her plan to leave, that’s what she’s going to do, because she reasons that there’s nothing to keep her here, but at the same time she feels that she wants a reason to stay but she doesn’t think she has one. She’s about to go ahead with her plan to leave, but they all come to the bus station (I just added a bus station to the town, thanks for that idea :D) they don’t want her to leave and then clay steps forward and says he’d specifically like her to stay. That is pretty good sounding to me.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@brandon-miller @anne-of-lothlorien

Partners in crime? Ha! You would be left in the dust, and I would become the greatest crime lord in history. That is if I wanted to do crime… which I don’t. So you would have no chance in crime, with me as the good guy.

Cassandra Hamm
    @cassandraia

@anne-of-lothlorien I agree with your married friend! (Not that I’m married, so I can’t verify it, but it seems true.) And I agree! I think not getting to know someone well before marriage is dangerous because you could’ve totally misjudged them or not realized something about them that has the potential to harm you or harm others. It may be hard to wait longer before getting married, but it’s good to keep getting to know your partner before you decide to tie the knot. And you’re right about attraction. 🙂

@brandon-miller
    I really like that. A lot of books I’ve read try to convince me that the characters should be together because the characters want it, but I don’t believe it. Getting the readers to ship the characters before the characters really want it would be difficult but also much more effective. I will have to remember that. Thank you for your wisdom. 🙂

I crush readers' souls like grapes.

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

@wordsmith @evelyn … *cricket chirp* Yeah, confused. So you’re not actually siblings by blood but it seems that you could be related because of mutual interests/personality traits/other? I get that –  a friend of mine at church I’ve adopted as my older sister because we are best friends, so much alike, I don’t have an older sister, and she doesn’t have a sister at all, older or younger. I’d always wanted a brother my own age too, to be twins, but I haven’t found one to adopt. Most aren’t willing to be ‘brother’ to a crazy person like me. XD XD

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@evelyn, This is how everyone will come to know me… Possible sibling of many a person. XD

@anne-of-lothlorien
    , part of it is that I know how to act like a somewhat annoying younger brother… and I was really good at getting people frustrated with me (at one point in life). So between my younger brotherness and study of human relationship I could probably convince you he was my older brother, if he didn’t object.

Glad to be of help there 🙂

Brandon Miller
    @brandon-miller

@cassandraia Let’s not call this “My wisdom” because I don’t want to spend my little bit of wisdom on romance advice.  Fair?

---
    Fair Winds and Following Seas,
    Brandon Miller -- Wesley Turner

Cassandra Hamm
    @cassandraia

@brandon-miller Whaaaat, is there something wrong with romance? 😉 XD Also, you have more than a bit of wisdom, good sir XD

I crush readers' souls like grapes.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@anne-of-lothlorien

I have an older sister and she is da best! But I never got a  younger sister.

@evelyn
    and I do have many similar personality traits… Wow… I hadn’t thought about how many though. We are not related by blood… Well… blood of Christ as well as Abraham… but not like close blood.

@brandon-miller

A good romance in a story adds depth… but it has to be done well. I started the Divergent series and was so disgusted that I put it down. Tolkien on the other hand is brilliant with his romances.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@brandon-miller

The more wisdom you expend on romance, the less you have to worry about terrible romance stories coming out. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest