fb

Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep.

Forums Fiction Plotting Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep.

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Erynne
    @erynne

Ok what about “happily ever afters”? That’s not how life works ya know? We all love a happy ending, but we also want our story to be realistic. Is it wrong to kill your character at the end of the story, (even if they had accomplished what they were wanting) or is it better to give them the peace and happiness they deserve, that “happily ever after”, then the end?

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@erynne I hate sad endings. Ruins it for me.

"If your goal is purity in heart, be prepared to be thought very odd." -Elisabeth Elliott

Erynne
    @erynne

@emma-walker

But it’s so fake 😂

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@erynne not necessarily. I do accept a character death only if they die for a purpose, and the writer had a good reason for it.

I had a story, in which I decided on killing a chara while he was still in early development, and then he became so awesome and had a love interest and everything.
    I knew I still had to kill him off, and knew it was gonna be super hard. I let him get married, have two kids, before his evil sister came and killed him.
    I didn’t want to, but I knew he had to, because certain things couldn’t happen unless he died, so I had to.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Emma Walker.

"If your goal is purity in heart, be prepared to be thought very odd." -Elisabeth Elliott

Erynne
    @erynne

@emma-walker, good point. I’m not sure if there would be a point to my charas death other than she died getting what she fought for which is kinda cool. People might not like it if I kill her like that though

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@erynne yea I wouldn’t unless there was a true purpose.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@erynne

I do XD it’s funny considering I don’t even know your real name haha

Cybersecurity turns everyone into a secret spy with four names and identities, only loosely connected XD

Ok what about “happily ever afters”? That’s not how life works ya know? We all love a happy ending, but we also want our story to be realistic.

You can pry happily ever afters out of my cold, dead hands. I’m not reading because I want the misery of existence impressed on me for the millionth time that day. Don’t kill characters for shock value or ‘realism’!

You don’t have to imply that everything will be perfect, you can leave some rough edges and just imply that the characters will deal with it. That tends to take the edge off the sweetness.

Happily ever afters are important too and that’s the hill I die on. (Other endings have their place but happily ever after isn’t an inherently bad or unrealistic trope.)

@this-is-not-an-alien

Human tears secret glands which release a sorta antidepressant hormone relaxing the stress hormones or something scientific like that…

Yeah! It lets out excess adrenaline too which is why you cry after an extremely scary experience.

*squeezes back*
    Thanks, *shrugs awkwardly* I’m pretty fine now but if you could pray for her I’d like that <3

Of course!

It is an underrated thing, like why does every novel heartbreak have to be romantic!?! It’s tacky and unrealistic *from someone who has never had any romantic interest in any real human*
    Yeah, it does hurt with friendships <3

Exactly!!! Friendship heartbreak is one of the most painful things and I’ve seldom seen it in fiction but it’s so dang painful.  (Totally need to write a novel with that at the center. Actually!!! *Writes that down*)

That yes! I agree, I also might add “worrying about insanely stupid things”

Oh, YES!!! That one hurts so dang much though 😭😭 I actually used it and it’s so painful to read because they’re so in shock.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Sarah
    @ajstoryteller

I can appreciate a bittersweet or sad ending in a story, but like others have been saying it has to serve a purpose somehow. Too many stories nowadays kill off characters to shock their audience, and have sad endings in hopes of being memorable. Those kinds of stories I usually end up resenting, and make little to no sense to me.

As for realism, one thing I’ve discovered is that realism doesn’t equal better. Many people believe we need things to be dark and gritty in order to be realistic, but the types of stories they tend to argue it for have fire-breathing dragons and car-chucking super-heroes.

As for sad endings being more memorable than tragic ones, I’d have to disagree. Sure I remember them, but I don’t think I’d dwell on them like the author intends. Instead it’s the happy ones I keep coming back to, because while they may not be realistic, they give me hope. And nowadays, I think that is what I need more than anything.

I plan on ending my series with the most ‘unrealistic’ happy ending ever, and I don’t care if people remember it or not, I just know that I’ll be happy with it. I mean, it has aliens, dragons, and super-heroes, I’ve clearly left realism long behind me.

Erynne
    @erynne

Thank you @ajstoryteller and @rose-colored-fancy that is really helpful. I don’t think ill actually kill her, but she will have some scars

Erynne
    @erynne

I’ve been trying to post a thread announcing my plot (but I end up getting bored and my brain keeps whispering “nobody cares, Erynne” s that’s why I haven’t done that yet. Someone please tell Brian to be quiet so I will actually do it) (Brian is what I named my only brain cell)

Anywho, when typing it out I realized I got a lot happenin and I am wondering if I should aim for a series instead. What do y’all think? When is it appropriate to have a series instead of a long book?

Joshua Scheele
    @storysmith

@erynne

I think a series is always a good option to go for. Even though I am writing my first book, I can guarantee it will turn into a series. I don’t like the idea of having to create a whole new world setting for each book idea when I already have something already laid for foundations. One thing I enjoy the most in fictional books is the further opportunity to explore the story’s world.

Erynne
    @erynne

@storySmith

Thank you! I believe I will do  series but I’ve heard it’s harder to write them

Erynne
    @erynne

How do y’all deal with cussing?

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@erynne like in writing? I don’t write any, I try to make up my own. I feel I’m not creative enough so usually one of my characters will just say Blast. Or you just write, so-and-so muttered a curse angrily under his breath or something like that. My characters don’t do that a lot Xd

Erynne
    @erynne

@Emma-walker

I’ve never written any characters that have any kind of language but I was thinking about having a super tough dude in my WIP and I feel like he would let something slip every now and then. Nothing super cringe worthy but maybe few small ones.

The way I described that is just weird XD

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest