fb

Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep.

Forums Fiction Plotting Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep.

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

Welcome all. If you’re having trouble with brainstorming and need help, I always find that a few brainstorm buddies can help at a lot. This is the place where you can come for help, help others with ideas, and share cool story prompts. 😉

"If your goal is purity in heart, be prepared to be thought very odd." -Elisabeth Elliott

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@erynne @storysmith @noah-cochran @winter_rose @ajstoryteller @joelle-stone tagging Y’all cause *waves* hi, it’s me. Y’all can tag others if y’all want.

"If your goal is purity in heart, be prepared to be thought very odd." -Elisabeth Elliott

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@emma-walker

Hey Emma, I don’t think we’ve really met yet. 🙂 I’m Noah, and I’m as green as they get to writing (started about five months ago in July).

How long have you been writing? What’s your WIP about?

Okay, so I’m currently brainstorming a medieval action adventure series. You have any tips on planning a series in particular? Where do you start with something like that? The antagonists and their plans or the protagonists and their arcs? Or somewhere else?

What are you currently brainstorming/working on?

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@noah-cochran,

HI! *waves*

You have any tips on planning a series in particular? Where do you start with something like that?

Yes, yes, I know I wasn’t in this conversation. Yes, I am butting in (feel free to tell me to get lost XD).

BUT! With starting a series, I usually just start with whatever comes to me first – be it the general plot of each book, the main characters (protagonist, villain/antagonist(s), important side characters), or setting. Worldbuilding is really fun – occasionally if you just make up a world, a story will sprout up along with it. Check out SE’s resource library for some awesome questionnaires!!

Erynne
    @erynne

@joelle-stone

Get lost Joelle! (Jk someone had to do it)

(Im not even part of this conversation either)

I’ll be back I just had to do that

*gets lost herself*

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

I am also blatantly ramming into this conversation XD

Okay, so I’m currently brainstorming a medieval action adventure series. You have any tips on planning a series in particular? Where do you start with something like that? The antagonists and their plans or the protagonists and their arcs? Or somewhere else?

Source: I’m writing a trilogy. You know that, I’m skipping over the formalities.

Personally, what has worked for me:

You don’t have to plot the entire series in one go, but I suggest having your very end in mind, so you know what you’re working toward. (This might change, but everything will change. It’s cool.)

If you’re going to self publish anyway, it might be best to draft all the books before you revise. Stuff will change drastically as you keep drafting, and otherwise you’ll have to go back and rip out like half your first, almost finished book to make it work.

Have one central protagonist, but have good deutoragonists. Consider using multiple POV’s if you have multiple characters with arcs. (Personally, I have one central protagonist, but I have two other protagonists that have a dual POV with her in the second and third book, respectively. They’re basically upgraded side characters.)

Don’t make the first book all setup.

Don’t worry if some of the characters grow beyond their roles. They will, it’ll make your story better.

On that note, they’re going to switch roles as though it’s a game of musical chairs as you write. (Or at least mine did, but my characters are notoriously chaotic)

About character arcs, you want your arc characters to overcome one lie per book. You can either have them start out with their whole bundle of lies and tackle them one at a time, or you can do what I prefer. They start out with one strong lie and possibly a few smaller ones. In the process of overcoming their strong lie, something happens that sparks a new lie for them to overcome in the next book.

For me, that happened almost accidentally, but it works great. It gives you a nice cause and effect.

And to actually answer your question, I always start with characters and their arcs then reverse engineer the antagonist’s plan to fit what needs to happen to them. (Or sometimes at the same time.)

Though, I have to confess, I really don’t like coming up with the antagonist’s plans XD

Hope that helped some!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

I don’t know where to start here now XD

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@erynne

Get lost Joelle! (Jk someone had to do it)

😂

@joelle-stone

*waves back

Yes, yes, I know I wasn’t in this conversation. Yes, I am butting in (feel free to tell me to get lost XD).

You’re welcome to butt in anytime. 🙂

I am do things around the same lines (this series is being made because of two characters that I wanted to write). However, I’ve been thinking about this (and @everyone else is welcome to comment on this as well), and though one can do it the other way around, I have grown to think that creating the main antagonist and their plan is the best place to start. Then one can make sure their protagonists’ reasons for caring about what the antagonist is doing is sound, both externally and internally.

@emma-walker

I don’t know where to start here now XD

You called, we came. 😉

@rose-colored-fancy

I am also blatantly ramming into this conversation

*I walk over and start a congenial conversation with Emma

*Joelle skids to a halt besides us, we raise a brow in surprise

*Erynne skids to a halt beside Joelle and immediately starts berating her for such rudeness

*Rose, unable to stop her face pace, rams straight into Joelle and Erynne and the three of them fall into Emma and me

*Everyone lies in a large pile gives each other exasperated writer looks

Source: I’m writing a trilogy. You know that, I’m skipping over the formalities.

I’m scandalized. How dare you skip over formalities.

And to actually answer your question, I always start with characters and their arcs then reverse engineer the antagonist’s plan to fit what needs to happen to them.

So this is interesting (see my comment to Joelle), I think this can work, but I’ve been torn on which way I should do it, protags or antags first. What I do know is that it is of vital importance that the protags have very good external and internal reasons for caring about the atag and their plan. My problem with starting with the protags is that I’m worried that I’ll have to majorly revise them to work with my atag.

Though, I have to confess, I really don’t like coming up with the antagonist’s plans

I wouldn’t say I don’t like it, but good night is it hard. xD I have grown to believe that though the protags are what make a story shine, the main antagonist and their plan is what ties all the protagonists and events together–without it, there would just be a bunch of characters aimlessly walking about. That’s my thought process anyway.

Thanks for all the tips, and yes, I love having a large cast of PoV’s. Even as a stand-alone, The Thief’s Dilemma has several…xD

Erynne
    @erynne

@noah-cochran

*I walk over and start a congenial conversation with Emma

*Joelle skids to a halt besides us, we raise a brow in surprise

*Erynne skids to a halt beside Joelle and immediately starts berating her for such rudeness

*Rose, unable to stop her face pace, rams straight into Joelle and Erynne and the three of them fall into Emma and me

*Everyone lies in a large pile gives each other exasperated writer looks

I greatly enjoyed that

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@noah-cochran *bows* indeed.

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

To anyone interested, I’ve been currently focusing on a certain family in my fantasy world.
    The oldest daughter marries into the Duke Karson’s family (some of you would recognize that), and invites four of her younger siblings to stay in the mansion.

These siblings are Flint, Greta, Henry and Ivy, ages 14, 13, 11 and 9 I think.
    I’m trying to think of little adventures for these kiddos.

Any ideas?
    (Ivy is deaf, so there’s that) (it’s winter) (yep)

Oh and not just like fun games they can play, I need full adventures, mini little sideplots.

solanelle
    @calidris

OOH a shiny new topic!

@emma-walker
    oooh maybe they can find a secret passage?  I’m sorry to admit, but I’m not terribly good at thinking of child-friendly adventures (y’know cause they always have to involve super-nukes and the implosion of reality…at least that’s how it goes in my world)

What kind of a fantasy is this?  Like, is it a high-fantasy with dragons and elves, or a low fantasy, or a super low fantasy that’s basically just about an alternate world (or some combination of the above?)

As for myself, I’m in desperate need of a character name, so maybe you guys can help me out with that!

*laughs as one fey*

Erynne
    @erynne

@emma-walker

Duke Karson should have like an evil aunt or something. And you totally need to involve something about a family fortune that’s trying to get stolen

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

@calidris it’s kinda a medium fantasy, right in between both.

@erynne
    good ideas…

And you remember Ivy? Well she’s gonna get lost and since she’s deaf people can’t just call out her name and my cousin said it was so perfect and hurt her heart and I was like yep XD

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Emma Walker.

Erynne
    @erynne

@emma-walker

Emma, you a cruel cruel human being!! 😫

I LOVE IT!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 120 total)
  • The forum ‘Plotting’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest