Reviews Wanted!

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Reviews Wanted!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Taylor Clogston 2 days, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

Hey everyone. In 2017, I was babbling with a friend on the ride to our weekly Dungeons and Dragons game about an idea I had for a serial story. Basically, I wanted to write episodes that would take about twenty minutes to read in twenty-six episode “seasons,” for an audience (from an author) who enjoys both fantasy books and actiony anime.

My friend encouraged me to write that thing, and helped me grind to the point where I did in fact have one 10,000 word short story. After getting some advice from a writing group, I expanded that short story to a 30,000 word novella, and self published it as “The Black Librarian Archives: Part One.”

Quite a long time passed. BLA had been my first foray into writing since graduating high school and getting a factory job. As a result, I was rusty and anyway didn’t know anything in high school to begin with.

With all that I’ve learned over the last couple years, I have done what I can to salvage my novella. As of last night, it has a new cover, a new title, 30% more content, sixteen fewer grammatical errors, and a more active protagonist.

His dark cloak billowed in waves that ended in a cascade of tattered threads, and the pages of the great leather book in his hand fluttered like the wings of a pale moth … He was the man from the boy’s recent dreaming, but the boy was not asleep. -The Silver Shard

Ten years ago, a mage rescued Dan from burning London, and drew him into a world full of spirits, magic, and burgeoning industry.

Now Dan is sixteen. He longs to leave his quiet village and follow his savior’s path.

Dan yearns to become a Librarian mage.

So Dan travels to Ormuil, the city of wizards, where the University of all guilds awaits.

But this city holds dark secrets, ones that Dan’s new friends in the Treasure Hunting Club know all too well.

And when the Club adventures into the Silver Dungeon Shard, Dan‘s own dark secret may not be enough to save them.

If you love stories about family, war, and justice, you will love this first installment of The Black Librarian Archives.

If that appeals to you, and you would be willing to help me out, I am in desperate need of Amazon reviews and Goodreads reviews. Content warning: A bit of mild language, some fantasy violence, one instance of pretty horrible violence but the camera doesn’t leer at it. No sexual content.

Here is a folder containing mobi, epub, and PDF of the novella. Thank you so much!

taylorclogston.com/learn-how-to-write

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@taylorclogston Never really explored D&D or anime, so no idea if this would be my thing, but I’m willing to read a little bit and see if it appeals to me. If it does, I’ll leave a review.

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@daeus-lamb Thank you very much. I definitely won’t be offended if it doesn’t end up being your thing =P

Coggleton
    @coggleton

@taylorclogston

Just started reading a few pages, so I might have to read further ahead to find out- but do the made-up-books come back later? The first thing I thought of when I read the book about knots was “Okay, so there’s probably going to be someone using a magic system that uses knots in rope as a spellcasting focus.”

• This reply was modified 2 days, 9 hours ago by  Coggleton.

Karla Van Der Berg
    @blueberry

I’ll give it a shot, this seems to be like my sort of thing! However I hope it’s okay that I am honest, I am the kind of person who wants people to honestly critique my work so I kind of expect everybody wants the same from me.

Taylor Clogston
      @taylorclogston

@coggleton If I were a good structurist, the books would be important later =P I really want to do a knot magic system in the future now, thanks for the idea. Since there’s a bunch of theory and even some notation styles for knots, I think it could make for a replacement for the standard “draw a magic circle with runes” stuff you see everywhere. And of course thanks for reading!

@blueberry I’d expect nothing less than honest critique! Thanks a bunch :-}

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest