Release Timeline/Schedule

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Release Timeline/Schedule

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Edmund Lloyd Fletcher
    @edmund-lloyd-fletcher

I apologize if I’ve asked this before, but I’m trying to do some planning and I’ve been trying to hat a handle on this.

Anyway, the question is:  For those of you who have self-published, what do you use for your release timeline?

(I published my first book, but it wasn’t a very well-thought-out process.  I’d like to do a little more controlled release this time.)

I’ve asked this of several publishing professionals who say “ask me anything” on social media, but I’ve noticed that asking this seems to make them clam up rather quickly. LOL! I’m also wondering if this is considered a trade secret or something? Is that possibly why it’s so hard to get a straight answer??

Homeschooling father of 10, writing Christian action/adventure novels from my home high in the Rockies.

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

I’m not a part of it any more, but I swear I’ve seen a lot about this in the 20booksto50k FB group. I never got the impression it was a topic people avoided.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

WolverineRM
    @wolverinerm

@edmund-lloyd-fletcher

What do you mean by “what do you use”? Like, how do you plan it, or literally what do you plan it in, or what?

It’s definitely not a trade secret, but I know personally my timeline was definitely nothing hard and fast, so maybe that’s why you can’t get a real answer? 🤷‍♀️

I ask where he got these crazy ideas anyway
      He just smiles and says, it’s the way that I was raised

Edmund Lloyd Fletcher
      @edmund-lloyd-fletcher

@taylorclogston thanks, I’ll check that group out!

@wolverinerm More of what tasks to plan for, plus how long each takes.  Something like, “Let’s see… I need to allow 3 weeks for this thing, then after that is complete it takes another week for that thing…”  The point being,  I can then use that timeline to work out a release schedule on my calendar for each particular project.  What has to happen, and when.

Homeschooling father of 10, writing Christian action/adventure novels from my home high in the Rockies.

WolverineRM
      @wolverinerm

@edmund-lloyd-fletcher

Hey, sorry I didn’t get back sooner. Okay so, yeah, mine is not very cut and dry, but…

I finished writing my book last Sept. Because reasons, I wanted it released at the end of February. So between Sept and Feb I needed it edited, beta-read, formatted for Kindle and printers, blog tour set up, and book signing set up. Some of those things could obviously overlap. Everything with editing and formatting I gave myself to the end of the year to finish, at which point I turned my attention to release week things. Which worked out fine for me. So yeah, pretty vague, I know, and I probably could’ve done it faster if I’d wanted to. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Hopefully that gives you the general idea though!

I ask where he got these crazy ideas anyway
        He just smiles and says, it’s the way that I was raised

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest