READ THIS BOOK!!!!!

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions READ THIS BOOK!!!!!

This topic contains 77 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Michaela 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)
  • Author

Michelle Rose
    @michelle

Hi everyone!! this is a book recommendation chat right?? 😛

Eden Anderson
      @eden-anderson

@anne-of-lothlorien

I’m familiar with The Giver, but I haven’t read it yet. Hopefully one day… 😉

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Evelyn
      @evelyn

@michelle Well, it was started to suggest The Giver, but other suggestions I’m sure would be welcome! Do you have any?

Anne of Lothlorien
      @anne-of-lothlorien

@michelle – Sure, feel free to give book recommendations! I started it with The Giver series, by Lois Lowry. Have you ever read those?

@eden-anderson READ THEM AS SOON AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm short, I like words, and I love people.
        No, I didn't draw my profile pic.

Eden Anderson
        @eden-anderson

@anne-of-lothlorien

😀

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Buddy J.
        @wordsmith

Sooooo… I read it! I read The Giver. And your dear Wordsmith cried. Such an amazing book!

-Wordsmith- Author of short stories, Reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Anne of Lothlorien
        @anne-of-lothlorien

@wordsmith YOU READ IT AND YOU CRIED?!?!?!?! How often does that happen, exactly. I’m glad you enjoyed it. Are you going to read the rest of the series? They’re all good too, though none of them hit me right in the heart the way The Giver did.

Funny thing… a lot of times in books I equate the characters with those I know in life, and imagine them as those people in the books sometimes. The Giver was the senior pastor at my church. Fiona was one of my cousins. And… Jonas was you. Go figure. 🙂

Buddy J.
          @wordsmith

@anne-of-lothlorien

Yes, it made me cry. And that hardly ever happens… that a book would make me cry. But not only was this a tear needing book, I’m also going through somewhat of a transitional stage of life in which books my more often make me cry… in certain circumstances. So I’m not surprised.

But me as Jonas? I kinda see it… but mostly not. But it’s hard to tell when he’s been suppressed emotionally for so long.

-Wordsmith- Author of short stories, Reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Anne of Lothlorien
          @anne-of-lothlorien

@wordsmith Haha.. funny.. what you said about him being emotionally suppressed for so long is kinda why I chose you… let me explain, if I can.

While I was reading the Giver, Jonas was a mystery. As you said, he was emotionally suppressed for a while, and his character did not really emerge until near the end. Because his personality was so obscure, he became you because I don’t actually know you that well, really. I have seen what you are like on here, and read your explanations of your thoughts or actions, but out of the guys I know, you’re still mostly unknown. So you had just enough mystery to be this enigmatic Jonas person, but just enough character to meld in my mind with what I thought of Jonas. I believe you would have done the same thing, gone away so the rest of the community could have their lives again. I believe you would have done whatever you could to save Gabe, like Jonas did.

So if you can understand all that, that’s why you were Jonas in my head. Plus another reason I can’t explain without spoiling the rest of the series.

Buddy J.
            @wordsmith

@anne-of-lothlorien

Okay… that definitely makes sense. I also find it interesting that I’m one of the more… mysterious characters here. What do you think that has to do with?

Anne of Lothlorien
            @anne-of-lothlorien

@wordsmith Oh, I’m just meaning that you’re just on the level of acquaintance with me that most people are on here. I mean, the only people I’ve talked to extensively not on here is Mariposa, Hope, Corissa, and Kate, and I go to church with Hope and Corissa. So there’s three groups, really, the ones I only know their names, like Parker, or Scribbles. The ones like you and Erica where I have frequent conversations and am starting to put together your personalities and characters. And then the ones like Hope and Mariposa where we email all the time and have known each other for years.

You’re a mystery in the sense that I’ve only known you for maybe a year and we’ve only done the equivalent of a week or so of constant talking on here. Mysterious in the sense that I know so much about my friends at church, the ones I see every week, that I don’t know about you – what colors you like, how you act around people you don’t like, your favorite foods, movies you love, how you play with kids, whether you like coffee or cocoa, nuance-y things and bigger things that arise from knowing people for years and having weekly conversation with them such as the people I know from church. You often open up and give advice about writing matters and such, but the little details and facts and mannerisms that you discover when in a friendship with someone that you can meet and talk to all the time are missing.

I suppose that’s the worst part of SE. Even if we remain friends and talk for the rest of our lives, if I never meet you guys, I’m never going to know you as well as my friends from church.

Wow. Okay. That was a long explanation.  😀 I tend to ramble on a bit trying to make my point.

Buddy J.
              @wordsmith

@anne-of-lothlorien

Hahaha! No worries. I don’t mind long explanations 🙂 .

It all makes perfect sense… because I was wondering what was so different about how I wrote my stuff here. XD

Anne of Lothlorien
              @anne-of-lothlorien

@wordsmith It’s nice to have people in my life that don’t mind rambles… I do them in real conversations and some people just look glazed over by the time I’m done. 🙂

Buddy J.
                @wordsmith

@anne-of-lothlorien

I am somewhat famous for my lack of ability to be compact. So rambles fit my style.

Anne of Lothlorien
                @anne-of-lothlorien

“I am somewhat famous for my lack of ability to be compact”… 😀 😀 😀 That’s me to a perfect ‘t’.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest