READ THIS BOOK!!!!!

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions READ THIS BOOK!!!!!

This topic contains 77 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Michaela 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)
  • Author

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

Hey y’all! I’m here with a book recommendation for you peeps, cause I’m sure your TBR lists are waning, right? I mean, most of you are probably down to only sixty books or so… Anyways, I recently read an AMAZING book that I think should move to the top of all y’all’s lists immediately. This book is… drum roll please… *drum noises*

The Giver!

Most of you have probably heard of The Giver, (written by Lois Lowry). I think it’s a pretty well known book, right? Maybe? Well, anyways, I read it this past month and it immediately got a place in my top ten favorite books of all times. And that’s hard for a book to do, because I’m extremely picky, especially when it comes to a fiction book not written by a Christian author.

The Giver is… I honestly don’t even know if any of my words will convey how good this book was. It was eye opening. It was deep-feeling. It was special. It was honest and real and broke my heart and put it back together with the hope it left me with. It was amazing. It made me cry for about half of it, but it is sooooooooo good.

A basic overview if you want the plot, is that Jonas is part of a society that makes everything even and perfect and organized. On his twelfth year, when Twelves are given their grown-up jobs, Jonas is not given a job, but it selected to be the next Receiver of Memory, something he knows nothing about. The Giver, the old Receiver, tells him that their job is to take on the memories of all the past so the people don’t have to have the pain and the memory. They bear the burden of all the former pain and they use the wisdom of ages past to advise the community. But Jonas realizes that it shouldn’t be like this, that memories shouldn’t be taken from people and locked away.

It’s not Christian YA fiction, but there is so much a Christian reader can get out of it. It shows what I’ve always felt about books, that when people who aren’t Christians write of the truths of this world, you can always see how they’re related to the Bible and what God teaches. It’s because those truths He put into this world are undeniable. Even if they refuse to acknowledge Who put those truths in their hearts, they can’t deny that it’s there.

Plus, for a secular YA book, it’s very clean. No swearing, and the closest thing to sexuality or romance is the main character, Jonas, telling his family that he had a dream about ‘the Stirrings’, which is attraction for the opposite sex, and he’s given a pill to suppress these feelings because they’re not allowed to fall in love. There are a few descriptions of former memories which may be disturbing and something that happens in the community that is very, very heart-wrenching. It was very hard to read and made me cry, sad cry and angry cry, but I did not have a problem with the actual reading of it, just the idea of what it was and knowing what was happening. I can’t really be more specific without giving away stuff, but I had no problem with the book. I’m a sixteen year old girl who generally has a high tolerance for disturbing things, if that gives you any reference for if you’d be bothered.

So, that was a little longer than I thought I’d take, but it’s worth it because this book is one of the best I’ve read. Ever. Period. This is a book to be read, a book that should be read. It’s so true, so real. It scared me, and made me laugh, and made me cry, and made me hope, and those are the best books of all, the ones that drag your heart through the dirt but give you a hope at the end that makes up for everything else.

There are also three companion books, Gathering Blue, Messenger, and Son, which I would suggest reading in that order after The Giver. I read Gathering Blue, which was really good, but not as good as The Giver.

If any of y’all have read The Giver already, I would LOVE to talk about it! If you haven’t read it, read it so we can then talk about it!

@ashira @hope @wordsmith @ericawordsmith @kari-karast @i-david @eden-anderson @evelyn @the-fledgling-artist @selah-chelyah

An almost high-school graduate with an obsession with words.
      I spend too much money on books.

Ariel Ashira
      @ashira

@anne-of-lothorien Never read it, but it sounds interesting!  Is it fantasy?

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Evelyn
      @evelyn

@anne-of-lothlorien What a great recommendation! This is one of my favorite books of all time. 😁❤️

Anne of Lothlorien
      @anne-of-lothlorien

@evelyn – Yay! *high fives* It’s in my top ten, if not top five.

@ariel-ashira – No, it’s more dystopian. Futuristic, like what could happen to America, or the world if we started doing ‘Sameness’, getting rid of memories and making everything all the same… But at the same time it’s not anywhere in America for real. It’s nowhere and everywhere, the location I mean.

Man, it is a lot harder to explain than I thought!

Anne of Lothlorien
        @anne-of-lothlorien

@ashira

The Fledgling Artist
          @the-fledgling-artist

@anne-of-lothlorien Thank you for tagging me! I haven’t read as much the last few years because I’ve gotten more picky about what I read. Most books I run into don’t look like they’re worth my time. I might look at this one though! (While I’m here… Do you have any other favorite books?)

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Anne of Lothlorien
          @anne-of-lothlorien

My other favorite books…

Christian Authored Ones –

Martin Hospitality – A young, pregnant girl finds a home with a Christian family  on a farm and changes her life around.

Left to Die – A missionary nurse in China adopts an abandoned baby with club feet.

Wingfeather Saga – The most amazing book series in the WORLD! and i almost can’t tell you anything about them without giving away stuff… just READ THEM!!!!!

Anne of Lothlorien
            @anne-of-lothlorien

Oops – @thefledglingartist

Anne of Lothlorien
              @anne-of-lothlorien

OOPS AGAIN! @the-fledgling-artist

Selah
                @selah-chelyah

@anne-of-lothlorien

Actually my book list tops 100 for sure, but anyway… 😛

I will check it out! Thanks for the recommendation. Ever read Fahrenheit 451?

"Get wet and sandy!" ~Instructor Reno
                "You will show respect!" ~The Bearded One

The Fledgling Artist
                @the-fledgling-artist

@anne-of-lothlorien Ahh, thanks! I appreciate this. I haven’t heard of the first two before. YES. WINGFEATHER SAGA. I’ve only read the first book (waiting to get a hold of the second..) but I can tell I’m gonna like the rest. Andrew Peterson is great. 😀

EricaWordsmith
                @ericawordsmith

@anne-of-lothlorien

I have not read that book, but it sounds really interesting! This also sounds like something I’d write about my experience watching Gladiator recently… Have you ever seen that??

But I have read MARTIN HOSPITALITY!!!!!!!!!! I love that book so much!!!!!!

THE WINGFEATHER SAGA!!!!!!! OMW, those books… *Falls over* I absolutely adore them!!!!! I actually did a fan art for Janner and Sara Cobbler this weekend. My sister (we were sharing a tent camping) told me to quit staring at it and go to bed when I had finished it. I’m working on one of Leeli and Yurgen right now as well.

Have you ever read anything by Rachel Starr Thomson?

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

The Fledgling Artist
                  @the-fledgling-artist

@ericawordsmith

*gasp*

*gasping*

You made Fanart for wingfeather saga?? Of JANNER??

*inhales*

EricaWordsmith
                  @ericawordsmith

@the-fledgling-artist

Yes I did… I tried to make him and Sara look around 15/16ish and I was trying to have a somewhat similar sort of art as the short film used. I also made Janner’s hair darker because I’ve always thought of him having pretty dark brown hair.

I want to do a lot more fanart of TWS, it is SO MUCH FUN!!!

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

Evelyn
                    @evelyn

@ericawordsmith Oooh. Sounds amazing! And yes, I always pictured him with dark hair too. xD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest