Read and Weep (normal)

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Read and Weep (normal)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

So here’s another one I wrote, for anyone interested… @ericawordsmith @i-david

Every few seconds the machine in the corner beeps, letting me know that the man I sit next to is still alive. I don’t need the reminder. I can see the subtle rise and fall of his chest, and if I bring my hand to his face, the tiniest of breaths whispers against my fingers.

I like the machine though. It’s comforting, in a way. It gives the illusion that I’m not alone in my vigil. Someone else cares about the lunatic too.

The hallucinations had been too much this time. I roll my shoulder, wincing at the stiff pain. There’s probably already an ugly bruise.

He hadn’t meant it. He had thought someone was attacking me. That’s the problem. He never knows they’re not real until too late. I had to bring him to the hospital. He fell down and didn’t wake up. I was so afraid.

I’m afraid of everything right now. I’m afraid the man I love will die and I’ll be alone in a world that doesn’t take kindly to those who associate themselves with “crazies”. Marrying him made me a social outcast.

I’m afraid I’ll die first and no one will look after my Jonas. I’m afraid that one day the hallucinations will convince Jonas he doesn’t love me and he won’t look at me like I am the only thing on earth that matters to him.

“Do you see them?” Jonas whispers.

He’s awake.

Oh, thank You, God.

I kneel by the bed and look into his eyes. They’re distant and clouded.

“Em, do you see them?” Jonas repeats, lifting his hands towards the ceiling. He waves his fingers through the air. “Flowers, beautiful flowers, falling from the sky. Look,” he says, closing his fist and holding it out to me. “A sunflower. You love them.”

“I do,” I whisper. I reach out and take the imaginary flower. Jonas stares at the ceiling and I wait, holding my breath. He blinks. His hands fall limply to the bed and he turns to me.

“They weren’t real, were they?”

I have to shake my head no. I can’t lie to him.

“I thought they were real.” A tear slides down Jonas’s cheek and the sight of it hurts me more than the bruise on my shoulder. “I thought they were real. I wanted to give you a flower, Em. I always meant to give you flowers, but I never did.”

He sobs, and I lay down next to him on the bed, wiping away his tears. He wants to be sane, to be strong. He tries so hard…

I take his hand. “Hey, listen Jonas.” He listens. “They may not have been real, but I am. I’m right here. I’m not leaving, ever. I’ll always be right here.”

Jonas nods. He looks at me and I see in his eyes that I am still the most important thing in the world to him. “Em? Do you know the first thing I’m going to do when they let me out of here?”

“What?”

“I’m going to buy you some flowers. Sunflowers.”

I smile. “Those are my favorites.”

I'm short, I like words, and I love people.
      No, I didn't draw my profile pic.

I, David
      @i-david

@anne-of-lothlorien Perfect timing. And amazing story. I want more. I don’t find it too sad… yet. But it’s incredibly well done. great job.

"See the sunset... the day is ending... let that yawn out... there's no pretending.

I will hold you.

Anne of Lothlorien
      @anne-of-lothlorien

@i-david

Perfect timing?

Most of my ‘sad’ stories aren’t truly sad… they’re bittersweet, with the sad in the middle, but happy at the ends.

I hadn’t really written anything more. For some reason I think in my head, they found some way for her to take the hallucinations, because he would be better able to take care of her while she was having hallucinations than she would him.

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
        @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@e_elaine_soup5 wow! I can’t believe I haven’t found this thread before!

@anne-of-lothlorien I love it!!!

I love romances

You can't live for long living for nothing-Hector Griffin

Anne of Lothlorien
        @anne-of-lothlorien

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer  – Thanks! I love romances too. 🙂 Do you have any of your own slightly/majorly sad stories to share?

@anne-of-lothlorien well. . . I’m kinda shy about them. . . I don’t know.

Anne of Lothlorien
          @anne-of-lothlorien

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer – We’re all kinda shy about them… I hated showing people my work at first. But the people on here are our friends. If you show something to them, and there’s something actually wrong with it, nobody’s going to start hate commenting. If anything, they’d make a kind, explanatory post about how it could be better.

And they could always love it. Or it could be the one thing they needed to read right now. I always have to remind myself that I’m writing for the people who will love and need it, not for the other people who won’t like it.

@anne-of-lothlorien Thanks so much 🙂 I’ll see if I’ve got anything to post, maybe I’ll post something in a few days.

Btw how old are you? Are you not in a guild yet?

Anne of Lothlorien
            @anne-of-lothlorien

@emberynus-the-dragonslayer  –  You’re welcome!

I’m seventeen, and no, I’m not in a guild. I’ve been around since SE was started, and I was at Kingdom Pen before that, but I’ve never joined one. I don’t get much internet time, and I just knew that I wouldn’t have the time to invest enough in the group. I wouldn’t want to join and then be that one girl who never finishes the projects or contributes to the writing count.

@anne-of-lothlorien

Cool! I’m fifteen. I just joined last month. I’ve been considering starting my own guild, but I’m just not sure yet.

I get what you mean though. It’s hard to keep up sometimes when you’ve got other things you do or you don’t get a lot of time.

Anne of Lothlorien
              @anne-of-lothlorien

It might be a cool idea to start something for those of us who don’t get a lot of time here. A low pressure writing area. Just have monthly prompts, or mini word battles sometimes. I don’t know if it would count as an ‘official’ Story Embers guild, but it could be fun.

Yeah, it’s pretty hard to balance life, especially when you just want to spend hours on here. 🙂 I’m starting a new job in a couple weeks too, so I’ll have even less time.

Ariel Ashira
                @ashira

@anne-of-lothlorien Ooh, I love that!

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Anne of Lothlorien
                @anne-of-lothlorien

@ashira Thank you! It’s become one of my new favorites.

@anne-of-lothlorien

Hey, yeah, sorry for getting back to you so late. Maybe we could just start our own thread in the forum? I think that would be cool.

Kayla Skywriter
                  @kayla-skywriter

Hey everyone,

I’ve got some sad stuff, can I post here?

How we chose to fight is just as important as what we fight for

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest