Read and Weep (normal)

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Read and Weep (normal)

This topic contains 29 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Ariel Ashira 2 days, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

Sorry guys, I’m actually laughing not weeping because They’re Taking the Hobbits To Isengard! is playing. XD XD XD

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

E. Veryone
      @e_elaine_soup5

oh my

characters are like geodes: you must break them to see what they're made of

E. Veryone
      @e_elaine_soup5

“Park, i don’t want to do this anymore,” she recoiled as her best friend walked underneath the large arch that marked the entrance of the cemetery and mausoleum. The curly-haired girl named Park just laughed and walked farther into the scary place.

“Come one, Adaline, don’t be scared!” Park called and she walked into the cemetery, hesitantly placing her first foot onto the ground. Bad things would happen if she went farther in, but Park…

“I know the guy you like is in here, Addie!” her best friend called, “And I know you want to show off your powers.”

Adaline’s eyes widened and she shook her head quickly. “Nononononono,” she said, “I can’t just…show off.” She said the last words as a whisper, “That’s against the rules!”

Park clenched her jaw angrily and stalked over to her long haired best friend, then dragged her towards the mausoleum with the arches dripping with carvings. Terrifying carvings that reminded Adaline too much of-of… there. But, when Park dragged her into the sight of the small bunch of people that dared her to call up a spirit with her so-called “powers”.

one was the person that Park thought she had a crush on–his name was Adrian. She didn’t, like him, that is. Everyone just thought she did. Adaline loved someone else.

“Hey, Ada,” ugh. she hated that nickname, someone–a girl–said, “why don’t you call up your spirit? the one you always talk about?”

Benjamin? No, Ben wouldn’t answer her. Not since–not since they…

“i can’t, he wont answer to me,” Adaline said softly, hiding behind honey-colored hair. Someone in the group sneered, laughing.

“She can’t do anything! She’s a faker!” it was a boy this time. Adaline looked up. Adrian showed no emotion on his face. At least he’s keeping his cool. Park leaned down and whispered at Adaline.

“Show them! I know you can! I see you talking to that dark-haired one all the time,” she hissed. Adaline nodded. She would prove to them that she was a necro. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Planting her hands down on the ground, Adaline started to whisper her chant.

spirituum
      expergiscimini a vobis requiem
      veni

a translucent body came up from the ground, and there was Benjamin in all of his ghostly splendor. The group gasped and Park smiled, albeit a little confused.

Ben was tall and pale, with striking blue eyes and blonde hair that was almost white. He smiled at the group of people, then turned to Adaline. She hadn’t been able to speak since he appeared, but now things came into her mind in a confused heap.

I didn’t want to summon Ben. Why did he appear? i wanted to bing Bryant. Oh, no. Ben found me he’ll do whatever it takes…

Ahhh, little Adaline,” he purred, voice powerful, “You summoned without the aid of your protector spirit, and now, i get to pay you back for what happened to me!” 

his voice escaladed into a scream and the rest of the group stumbled backwards. Adaline, however, was rooted to the spot. Her eyes became too wide too fast and her retina almost overloaded. Ben reached towards her and started to touch her face, draining the color from it.

His toothy smile widened and showed pointed tips, “I’m taking your life now, and that little Bryant boy can have you forever.”  

Adaline turned her head slowly to Park, “Parker…you have to…kill him…when he-he solidifies.”

Park’s eyes widened to match the size of Adaline’s, “Addie, no, you’re not. He’s not.”

she smiled weakly, “I didn’t mean to summon him, but this was always inevitable.”

Her life was draining faster now, and Benjamin was drifting to the floor, as if gravity was taking hold. Something else flashed and Bryant was there, in his dark-haired self. He was shocked to see Adaline being lifted into the air by his brother, and tried to free her.

“Bryant,” she warned lightly, “this needs to happen this–”

and Ben was alive, free to roam the mortal world. and Adaline was floating in the air, lighter than it. Her chest squeezed and she let out a light sob and Bryant’s arms were around her, finally warm and finally real to her.

Park cried out, so did some of the girls in the group. but Adaline was happy. Happy enough.

E. Veryone
      @e_elaine_soup5

She spun, skirt flaring out and dark braid flailing in the wind. The kids watched her in awe as the guitar started to strum. She, a young woman named Marisol, smiled at the small children and started to sing.

“Ay, de mí Llarona. Llarona de azul celeste,” she started the old ballad, enthralling the young ones, “Ay, de mí Llarona. Llarona de azul celeste.

“Y aunque la vida me cueste, Llorona. No dejaré de quererte. No dejaré de quererte,” her voice was clear as the music picked up and started to get faster. The bright color of Marisol’s skirts flashed as she swished them in tune to her moving feet. The kids started to clap.
      As if to tell a tale to the audience of small ones, Marisol slowed her dance for the verse, “Me subí al pino más alto, Llorona. A ver si te divisaba,” she reached up to the tall trees that was referenced in the song, then pulled her arm down dramatically, “Como el pino era tierno, Llorona. Al verme llorar, lloraba.”

A man joined her, abandoning his guitar and took up Marisol’s hand. He was Marisol’s intended, Raul. They joined together in the next verse, “La pena y la que no es pena, Llorona. Todo es pena para mí. La pena y la que no es pena, Llorona. Todo es pena para mí.”

Raul broke from the dancing to get the kids up to dance, laughing. Marisol joined in the raucous noise, but cleared up her voice to keep singing, “Ayer lloraba por verte, Llorona. hoy lloro porque te vi. Ayer lloraba por verte, Llorona. Hoy lloro porque te vi.”

The kids joined in, all voices slightly off key, “Ay de mí, Llorona, Llorona. Llorona de azul celeste. Ay de mí, Llorona, Llorona. Llorona de azul celeste.”

Now Raul and Marisol’s voices were the only ones singing, “Y aunque la vida me cueste, Llorona. No dejaré de quererte. Y aunque la vida me cueste, Llorona. No dejaré de quererte. No dejaré de quererte. No dejaré de quererte.”

Small yells and whoops came from the kids as the couple kissed. The musicians whistled with their fingers, piercing the night.

——

bonus points if you can tell me what movie this is from

Anne of Lothlorien
      @anne-of-lothlorien

e_elaine_soup5 – I love the song Happier! That was cute, but heartbreaking to leave.

@ericawordsmith – You’re good! That was partially inspired by Rilla of Ingleside. And partially inspired because a friend of mine had just gone into the Marines. No, it’s not about me and him. 😉 I just had military on the mind.

An almost high-school graduate with an obsession with words.
        I spend too much money on books.

E. Veryone
        @e_elaine_soup5

@nuetrobolt

@brandon-miller

Here’s the normal one that has more than just one post on it if you want to hop here 🙂

Joseph Brink
        @nuetrobolt

These are… interesting. I don’t really like romance, but these were well written.

@e_elaine_soup5 I liked your first one the best.

I'm J. S. Brink, Throne Warden of Emberia, or Nuetrobolt. I write with my tiny dragon, Vip.

I, David
        @i-david

@anne-of-lothlorien @ericawordsmith *Cries* Man… ghosts and reconciliation, a lonely eternal sleep, ideas and mistakes… Those were great.

"Lately, I've been- I've been thinking... I want you to be Happier... I want you to be Happier."

I, David
        @i-david

And 5oup, that spirit one was quick but nice.

"Lately, I've been- I've been thinking... I want you to be Happier... I want you to be Happier."

I, David
        @i-david

One of my own mediocre (Is that too much credit?) attempts:

Time To Say Goodbye

I never heard the car coming. It came from my right, speeding across the concrete without consideration of consequence. But I was too focused on the moment to notice.

It was our moment. Philla didn’t notice the reckless vehicle at first, either. And why would she? I was proposing to her, which meant that one way or another, her life was about to change.

But not in the way either of us thought.

She said yes, by the way. She’d been waiting for six months, from the moment we had started dating. I was ready to dive right in and propose then; it just took me those six long months to work up the nerve to ask.

The setting was spontaneous and completely unplanned, at least by me. It had been a sweet date, with dinner at Jojo’s, a local Italian restaurant, a slow walk on the beachfront, and one of the best sunsets we’d ever seen. I almost proposed no less than three times, but always wimped out at the last moment.

We were about to cross the street that divided the beach area from the parking lot where our car was when she spotted the ducks. They were also trying to cross the road, just a few yards away, and Philla insisted that we walk with them. The road was empty, but there was a well-concealed bend a little ways to our left, and she convinced me that drivers would be less likely to accidentally run into the ducks if we walked with them. And so we crossed together, the couple and the ducks, the most oddball family you’d ever seen.

And that was all. Even the smallest of the ducks kept pace with us, and we finished our journey without seeing another soul. I knelt down and helped the ducks into a nearby bush while Philla cheerfully bade them goodbye behind me.

Then it struck me as the last duck waddled into the shrubbery: I was on one knee. I had a ring in my pocket, a girl by my side, and no better chance than now. So I took it. I pivoted, still kneeling, pulled the precious circle from my pocket, and asked the question.

You remember what she said. And even as her response faded into the wind, I glimpsed the car careening down the road. Heading all too quickly towards Philla.

No, became my only thought as I prepared to act–to protect her–but even as I did, the car swerved just enough to remove Philla from its trajectory. Relief replaced my fear and determination. She was safe.

I never even registered the pain. There was no force of impact, no shattering of bones or crushing of organs. Everything simply turned black. Just like it had so many, many times before.

As soon as I realized what that meant, I felt the pain. Not physical; only emotional. Emotions were the only way for a dead man to feel pain.

I didn’t keep track of how long I cried. I had given up the first time around, and there wasn’t a way to measure time while deceased, anyways. When I cried, there was nothing to do but cry. Figure that out: I was completely powerless to create so much as a single tear, and yet could cry without yielding.

As I wept, I ignored the light next to me. I knew it would be there when I finished. It always was. It was a doorway that shone, a gateway back. I had walked through it countless times before, lived countless other lives, died countless other times. Always cried at the end, sometimes more than others, and always gone back through the doorway.

It was all I could do. It was the life of an Immortal. The life I had chosen, and the one I was now stuck in, forever.

If only I had known the first time around: Eternity hurts when you’re alone.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 6 hours ago by  I, David.

Anne of Lothlorien
        @anne-of-lothlorien

@i-david Thanks. My writing, especially flash fiction, tends towards the melodramatic, bittersweet, and haunting.

That last line though… “Eternity hurt when you’re alone”… ouch.  Right in the feels.

An almost high-school graduate with an obsession with words.
          I spend too much money on books.

Ariel Ashira
          @ashira

@i-david That is a good one!  Have you ever heard the song Time to Say Goodbye?  Its really sad.

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

EricaWordsmith
          @ericawordsmith

@anne-of-lothlorien

I listened to ROI on my Kindle recently… Oh man, I love that book!!!! XD XD It was so good… Hilarious and heart breaking at the same time.

@i-david Thanks! I’m not good at this kind of writing, but it was fun to write.

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

E. Veryone
            @e_elaine_soup5

Guys, so here’s an idea

try to explain an emotion without saying the word

I’ll go first

————-

My chest tightened, cutting off the air supply to my lungs. Tears threatened to glaze over my eyesight and my throat closed.

My mom called my name over the phone, but I could barely hear her, “I don’t think I can do this,” my voice was strangled as I looked at the screen. There was just so…much. I hadn’t done it when I was supposed to and now failing and threatening the rest of my life was weighing on my chest like someone had shoved me under a falling slab of concrete.

My chest jerked and I got some oxygen into my system, but the carbon dioxide coming out of my lungs escaped in a small sob. Tears were running freely down my face now and I was suddenly experiencing the opposite affect of lack of oxygen. I was breathing too quickly now, big lungfuls of air that did not seem to help my churning stomach.

Mom was trying to talk me down from the other side of the phone, but I just gripped the new kitchen counter hard, trying to make out words, “No, no mom. You don’t need to come home. I’m fine, just…”

Just…

She spoke to me for a few more minutes, but my hearing had gone fuzzy. The screen of my phone was slipping on my face because it was wet from tears and, as she started to hang up, my knees gave out and I slid down the cabinets and to the hardwood floor. Dropping my phone, I hugged my knees and let out a small whimper, feeling as if my life was slipping away from me because I had made a wrong choice, stepped into something too quickly.

my helplessness manifested into something else, it wasn’t rage, but it was something akin to it. my brain was stirring too quickly and I was back to breathing too much. I kicked the leg of the island in front of me, screaming at the top of my lungs. But that didn’t help. I knocked my head violently with my fists a few times like I always did when I was being stupid and had to punish myself.

But my breathing was still too quick and my mind was still reeling through what ifs.

Ariel Ashira
            @ashira

@e_elaine_soup5 Ooh, that is really good!

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest