Quick Question About Quotation Marks (And Other Grammar Questions)

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Quick Question About Quotation Marks (And Other Grammar Questions)

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    J. Dekreel
    @dekreel

Okay, this question/problem has been floating around in my head for weeks now and I figured this forum is probably the best place for me to clear it up.

So in the following two sentences:

1) Is it rude in this country to use the term “flabbergasted“?
    2) Is it rude in this country to use the term “flabbergasted?”

That quotation mark/question mark placement at the end. . . which one is grammatically correct? I’ve been using #1 lately because I feel like it makes more sense (since there’s no question mark in the term “flabbergasted”), but I don’t know if it’s actually right or not.

By the way, those two sentences are not to be confused with dialog:
    Robert replied, “It’s only rude if you use it in front of the duck people.”

Thoughts? @wordsmith  @jenwriter17  @bigideaskc  @evelyn  @jenwriter17  @eden-anderson  @josiah  @i_have_no_idea_who_to_tag_:P

ALSO, if anyone else has any little grammar questions like mine, feel free to reuse this topic!

ENFP-T. Cartoonist, "half-writer", wolfish.
    Blog

Evelyn
    @evelyn

You are correct! The first one is right. Now if it was a period not a question mark, it would be included in the quotation marks.

Here is an article I found to back me up. 😜

How to Punctuate Quotations with Question Marks

I hope that is helpful!

J. Dekreel
    @dekreel

@evelyn  Ah, thanks! That helped a lot.

Now if it was a period not a question mark, it would be included in the quotation marks.

So it’s:

The sign said “Beans For Sale.”

Not. . .

The sign said “Beans For Sale”.

ENFP-T. Cartoonist, "half-writer", wolfish.
    Blog

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@dekreel Yep!

Unless it isn’t the end of the sentence, in which case the comma would be there as the period:

The sign said “Beans For Sale,” however the shop appeared to be filled with violins.

A least that’s my understanding….

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@dekreel Yeah, I would #1 too. 🙂 *says the person who is by no means educated on all the proper grammarly things*

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
    www.jennaterese.com

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

@dekreel What @evelyn said!

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

A.N. Parker
    @bigideaskc

which one is grammatically correct? I’ve been using #1 lately because I feel like it makes more sense (since there’s no question mark in the term “flabbergasted”), but I don’t know if it’s actually right or not.

First of all… Yes. NEVER offend the Duck People.

Second of all, @evelyn, that’s really interesting! When I was younger, I used to think it was: One should never offend the “Duck People”. I would always use it like that until I realized it was more like: One should never offend the “Duck People.” So, I had no idea there was an exception to the rules when it would come to questions! O . O (Aggh, English and those blasted exceptions to the rules… x_x)

Thanks for tagging me! One learns something new every day, aye? 😀

Grammar Geek | Steampunk Enthusiast | Published Author | Winged Warrior | Avatar by The Fledgling Artist

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest