Questions for Anybody

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Questions for Anybody

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

I recently had an alpha reader (yes, I read that article) inform me that my characters were very distinct in the beginning of my novel, but as I went along they all kind of morphed with… me. I figured that I was once again struggling with character voice.

So, since I’ve already written my first draft, does anyone have any thoughts on how to improve my characters’ voice? I’ve got 2ย main main characters, 7 main supporting characters, and at least 4 supporting characters.

Thanks!

Making something beautiful in a broken world can be harrowing work. And it canโ€™t be done alone.
      ~AP

Zee
      @zee

That’s an interesting problem, @joelle-stone. Could it be partly because you’ve got so many “mainish” characters? Personally, I think it would be quite hard to dream up distinctive personalities, characteristics, and ways of talking for so many characters in one story. Perhaps it would be possible to combine some of them? Two somewhat weak supporting characters might become one strong one. Just a thought. It’s hard to give more specific advice without having read the story…

Joelle Stone
        @joelle-stone

@zee,

Hm, that might work. I could combine a few side characters, I think, but combining main characters would cause major plot changes and rethinking of the entirety of all three series. :/ Hm, will have to think on this. Thanks for the input!

Making something beautiful in a broken world can be harrowing work. And it canโ€™t be done alone.
          ~AP

Zee
          @zee

@joelle-stone, you’ve got three series going on? I am seriously impressed!

Maybe it would help to jot down a few key details about each important character (the ones that differentiate them from each other,) and keep that list either physically or mentally present while writing?

That’s interesting that your “Alpha Reader” said all the characters end up morphing into you. He or she must know you quite well…

Joelle Stone
            @joelle-stone

@zee,

Funny you should say that. We only met one another about a year ago. But I am odd enough to be… distinct.

And no, I don’t have three series going, I’ve just planned them. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hm. That might work too. I did a Character Bible for all of them (lots of questions about family, backstory, personality, clothing, physical appearance, best/worst memories, friends, enemies, etc.), but I think I struggle with portraying that well. :/ ๐Ÿ™‚

~AP

Mischievous Thwapling
              @mischievous-thwapling

@joelle-stone

Strange, I keep posting, but it doesn’t show up.ย  Can you see it?

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
                ~Mark Twain

Joelle Stone
                @joelle-stone

@mischievous-thwapling,

Nope. :/

~AP

Mischievous Thwapling
                  @mischievous-thwapling

@joelle-stone

Hmm, probably ’cause I was trying to post a link :/

I won’t post the link then, but maybe you can copy and paste this? Here it is:ย  https://www.writersdigest.com/write-better-fiction/tips-for-creating-voice-in-your-writing

In this article, not everything lined up perfectly with your question, but it might help. I only skimmed through it ’cause I’m a bit short on time, but it looked like it had some helpful tips ๐Ÿ˜‰

BTW, are you talking about the Untitled/Unnamedย  Tale/Story (forgive me, but I can’t remember the exact names) or a different story?:)

~Mark Twain

Mischievous Thwapling
                    @mischievous-thwapling

OH! The link worked! Never mind then.

~Mark Twain

Wingiby Iggiby
                      @wingiby-iggiby

@joelle-stone

If I had any liable information, I would give it to you. However, I struggle with this myself, so the most I can say is “I sympathize with you.” Which I do. I suppose the best help I can give is, remind yourself that you are not that character, and the character is not you. It’s a totally different person, so think of them as a friend and say, “what would so-and-so do?” You could always hold a “conversation” with them, asking them questions and answering, and trying to find out more of how they react to certain things versus the way you do. You could give a scenario, then wright next to it what you would do, then what so-and-so would do.

Btw, @zee, those are some great tips, and I shall have to keep them in mind; and @mischievous-thwapling, I’ll check out that link ๐Ÿ˜‰

I know you got mountains to climb,
                        But always stay humble and kind -- Tim McGraw

Joelle Stone
                        @joelle-stone

@mischievous-thwapling,

Ooh, cool, thanks! And no, this is a novel that I’m working on. Hm. I haven’t thought about The Untitled Tale in a long time… And now my brain has been jumpstarted. Thanks! And that article was quite helpful. ๐Ÿ™‚

@wingiby-iggiby

Lol. And my thanks for your sympathies and advice. Having a conversation or interview with my characters might be very helpful for a handful of them, but I think I need more info from my alpha. ๐Ÿ™‚

~AP

Mischievous Thwapling
                          @mischievous-thwapling

@joelle-stone

Nice, I’m glad it could be of some help to you. ๐Ÿ™‚ย  And oh, really? That’s fun!ย  Will I ever get to read it? I love your work ๐Ÿ˜›

@wingiby-iggiby

Yeah!ย  I still have to read it all, but it did help me a bit. ๐Ÿ˜€

~Mark Twain

Joelle Stone
                            @joelle-stone

@mischievous-thwapling,

I could use some beta readers after I finish the second and/or third draft. Jana’s reading it for me, but I’ve gotta say I’m kinda nervous about online personal knowing my email… :/ No offense. ๐Ÿ˜‰ So most likely, but not positive. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for offering!! ๐Ÿ˜€

~AP

Mischievous Thwapling
                              @mischievous-thwapling

@joelle-stone

I totally get it!ย  I want to have get some beta readers from Story Embers when I’m done with my first or second draft, but like you, I’m kinda stumped on how to do it bc I’m hesitant to share my email. I thought about creating a business email, or simply just posting the chapters on here.ย  But I’m not sure I should post stuff that long on here, y’know? (Or if I’m allowed to…)

~Mark Twain

Joelle Stone
                                @joelle-stone

@mischievous-thwapling,

Ooh, love the new quote. What with you & Wingiby changing stuff around, I’ve got a hankering to do the same thing…

If you do figure it out (I think a business email is a good idea), I’d love to beta/alpha read for you! ๐Ÿ™‚

~AP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest