fb

Question About Themes

Forums Fiction Themes Question About Themes

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Holly Clarise
    @happyholly_c

As I think about themes, I’m curious: what themes do you think are over-used and why do you think they are over-used? What themes should be more prevalent in stories?

I am an ENFP writer 🥳 "Adventure is out there!"

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@happyholly_c Oooh, great topic.

I can think of a couple I’d like to see more of.

• Parent/child relationships. I feel like most stories only really involve the parent or the child, and in the ones that do the relationship tends to be steady. Either they simply don’t get along or they get along perfectly and there’s no development of the relationship.
    • Justice. I like the inescapable justice. You don’t see this very much except in a few classics.
    • Surrender (in the Christian sense). I don’t think I’ve ever seen this covered in fiction, at least not in a deep sense (unless you count conversion scenes, but I’m talking about post-conversion.)
    • While I think it will take a special writer to tackle these themes, I’d like to see some writers take on the really tremendous themes of our day: human trafficking, sodomy, abortion, euthanasia, etc.
    • The weakness of humanity. We see a lot of stories about overcoming difficulties and achieving great things, and there’s nothing wrong with this, but I see just as much or more need for writing about how we are just men. Humans are ultimately helpless and there are some things we cannot do on our own.

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Holly Clarise
    @happyholly_c

@daeus-lamb Great themes! I would agree with you on all of them. Especially the weakness of humanity. So many people can make their characters so strong, never showing the weakness we all inevitably have.

I’m glad you mentioned surrender because I’m making the theme of my adventure novel to be about surrender. 🙂

I am an ENFP writer 🥳 "Adventure is out there!"

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.