fb

Psalm Illustration Thread

Forums Art Art Discussions Psalm Illustration Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 258 total)
  • Author
    Chalice
    @chalice

Hello fellow artists,

Welcome to the Psalm Illustration Thread!

This thread is for anyone interested, who has the time and (optional) a worn out Bible.

This is a weekly challenge, that can go as long or short as you want.

For now we’re going to go through the book of Psalms. You can either start at the beginning and work your way through, or skip around, whatever you want.

Here are the guidelines:

Read through a Psalm and pick a verse (you can do the whole chapter, if you want) to illustrate.

If you have a Bible available, that you don’t use anymore, you can do the illustration right on the Bible page, but if you don’t have a Bible to use, you can do it on plain paper as well.

This is pretty laid back, but I want to challenge anyone interested to do a drawing a week. If you want to you can share your work on this thread. 🙂

(I’ve done this sort of thing before, so a tip would be, when you pick a verse, brainstorm as many images as you can and then pick your favorite. Most of the time when I try to think of something other than the first idea that comes to mind, I like the second, third, or fourth idea better. 🙂 )

Get creative and have fun! Can’t wait to see what you all come up with! 🙂

@eden-anderson
    @the-fledgling-artist @kay @evelyn @anyone-else-who-is-interested

ENFP-T/Artist/Writer/Musician
    “Creativity takes courage” -Henri Matisse

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@eden-anderson @the-fledgling-artist @kay @chalice I’m so excited about this guys!

I probably won’t be able to do one each week, but I’ll definitely participate. 😀

Chalice
    @chalice

@evelyn, Me too!

That’s fine. Honestly, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to either, but I’ll try my best! 🙂

ENFP-T/Artist/Writer/Musician
    “Creativity takes courage” -Henri Matisse

eden anderson
    @eden-anderson

@chalice

Thanks so much for starting this for us! Can’t wait to see everybody’s beautiful artwork! I’m glad we’re keeping this flexible, because I’m going to try and do it each week, but I may not always be able to.

@evelyn

I’m so glad you’ve decided to do it with us!

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

I went ahead and did my first Psalm illustration yesterday. ^-^
    I choose the first few verses of Psalm one, just ’cause they were the first verses that inspired me.

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper. Psalm 1:1-3

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@the-fledging-artist That’s amazing! Great job!

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@evelyn Thanks! I’m so glad you decided to participate too! I’m really excited to see what everyone else comes up with. <3

Ara
    @itisastarrynight

@eden-anderson @the-fledgling-artist @kay @evelyn @chalice
    I would be interested in joining! I’m not sure if I will commit to it yet for sure, but I will tell you I nearly finished my first painting based on a psalm… hehe..

Sketching with no reference is like hiking without a map!

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@chalice SUCH A COOL THREAD!  I would LOVE to do this…but not sure if I will have the time.  I will show you guys if I do get around to it, and in the meantime I will enjoy seeing what the rest of you come up with!!

@the-fledgling-artist
    That is LOVELY!

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@ashira Thank you!! I hope you find the time to try it once! 😊

eden anderson
    @eden-anderson

@itisastarrynight @ashira YAY!! It’d be awesome to have you guys join!!

@the-fledgling-artist
    Ooh!! That’s beautiful! And I love those verses. ❤️

@chalice
    @evelyn

Alright, everybody, here’s my contribution for the week. It’s very simple….nothing elegant or breathtaking, but I did my best. The Psalm I chose was Psalm 139. I love this passage…it is SO beautiful…but I chose to use only verses 13-15:

For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.
    I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.
    My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@eden-anderson Thanks Eden! I love the verses you choose, and your illustration fits them fantastically! <3

eden anderson
    @eden-anderson

@the-fledgling-artist

Aw, thanks! (But honestly, how did you draw those trees so realistically?!!😯 They are SO good…)

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@the-fledgling-artist Whoops! I just realized I misspelled your tag earlier. Sorry. 😛

@eden-anderson
    I like it! 😀

Lin
    @lin

This is such a good idea! I have an art journaling bible but it’s paper is so thin that I don’t feel comfortable using the paints I want in it. But maybe I’ll give it a try on good old watercolor paper.

@the-fledgling-artist
    Your trees are so good!

@eden-anderson
    That’s really beautifull in it’s simplicity <3

“I've loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 258 total)
  • The forum ‘Art Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest