fb

POV – help please

Forums Fiction Characters POV – help please

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

Can any Emberlings help me?  I am wondering how many POV switches is too many?

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Parker Hankins
    @parker

What genre is it? How long do you stick with the one characters pov before switching?

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@parker Its his-fic.  Well, that depends.  Sometimes its a chapter or more, sometimes just a few pages depending on the scene.

"No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall, you are never out of the fight."

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@ashira One hundred. That’s too many. 😉

Yes, it largely depends on how long you stick with each character and how long your piece is overall.

Parker Hankins
    @parker

Also, think about it. Does each PoV help the plot?

I personally think that’s not too much.

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@evelyn Haha!

@parker
    Yeah, I think so.  I mean, that is the reason I am switching POV, because it helps you know what is going on in different places as opposed to inserting long explanations later.

Parker Hankins
    @parker

@ashira, I think that’s fine. And I do it myself. It always keeps you hooked to because readers like to have something new.

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

Generally four main POVs is the most I can handle, as long as each one contributes to the plot. I’m not opposed to having a couple of extra side characters pop in for brief POV scenes, either, in moderation. (Again, assuming they contribute to the plot.)

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@parker Okay, thank you!

@r-m-archer
    Thanks!

Parker Hankins
    @parker

@ashira 😀

I, David
    @i-david

@ashira A great example of using and juggling PoV’s expertly is in Brandon Sanderson’s writing. Whether you’re reading Elantris, Warbreaker, Mistborn, or the Stormlight Chronicles, you can just read and see how he manages tons of PoV’s, weaving them in and out to best help each scene, chapter, book, and series as a whole.

Four
    INFP
    songwriter

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

It can be annoying to use too many PoV’s. I’ve never had it happen before, but I know for a fact that you probably shouldn’t use two PoV’s in 1st person.

*Forum Signature here*

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@i-david @thewirelessblade Thanks, guys!

Thomas, I planned multipule pov switches in second person.  I think first person would be wierd. 😀

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@ashira

Did you mean third person in your last post? (Third person is “SeekJustice searched the forum” whereas, second person is “you searched the forum”. As you can see, second person isn’t used a lot in novel writing (though it is occasionally)

As to PoVs, I usually find between one and three is good. (And as an aside, @thewirelessblade I actually have done two books with two povs in 1st, and I have read published novels using that format. But I had to work really hard to make the voices sound different and unique. It was a good lesson in character voice and I definitely enjoyed it. Not sure if I’d do it again though.)

Personally, I like it if a character has a whole chapter to themselves. Just personally I don’t like PoV switches in the middle of chapters, but people do it, so if you want to, go ahead 🙂

That’s my two cents 🙂

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Ariel Ashira
    @ashira

@seekjustice Yeah, that is what I meant. Thank you! (Your opinion is worth more than two cents.) 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.