fb

Posting my art for the first time!

Forums Art Art Critique Posting my art for the first time!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    A. D. S.
    @ads_forest

Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting on the art section so I’m a little nervous. I’ve always thought of myself as more of a writer, although I’ve enjoyed doodling for a while. Now I’ve gotten into sketching a little bit. Does anyone have advice for how I can improve my drawings? Here are  some that I’ve done recently. Thanks!

(did this one without any references)

(used a reference of another drawing to do this one)

(used a photo of Tom Holland as a reference for this one)

(looked up several references of wings to try to get hers to look right)

(used a reference of a anime boy to get the younger face, even though I decided to make it a girl. XD)

(a sketch of a fantasy map just for fun haha)

(and here’s a cool wise old man who probably owns a really cool book store or pawn shop, no reference)

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@ads_forest I’m not a good artist (yet xD) but I just wanted to drop in and say I love your work! Wow, those eyes and noses. Great job! 😀

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@ads_forest

Hey! For someone who’s only dipped their toes into the world of art these are very good! The first thing I notice here is that your art has a lot of emotional expression and life to it.

Unfortunately, the thing with art is that the only way to get better is to practice. Fortunately, if you want to get better, all you have to do is practice!! Shh, I know that sounded cheesy and lame. I’m telling you the truth tho

If you’re serious about wanting to get good at art, I would suggest setting yourself a (realistic) goal/commitment to practicing. Such a commitment can look different for different people, but I think making SOME sort of commitment is an important step. For you, it might be doing one drawing every month. For me, almost 4 years ago, it was spending at least a few minutes a day in my sketchbook, every day. (Obviously, some days were just too busy, but drawing every day is a habit that still effects me today.)

Using reference is great, and drawing from life is even better. If you can’t do either of those, just drawing is better than nothing.

Draw = Get Better at drawing

You have to make bad before you can make good art.

The more you draw, the faster you’ll get better. Yes. It’s that simple. For some reason, It takes me a whole unneeded lecture to effectively communicate this…

Any questions? Did I make any sense?

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Lin
    @lin

@ads_forest Hi there! Your drawings look pretty good, especially for a beginner! I agree with everything @the-fledgling-artist just said. Keep on drawing and you’ll start seeing the things you could improve on. 🙂

“I've loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.”

A. D. S.
    @ads_forest

Thanks so much guys for the feedback! Yeah I’ve been drawing probably like one or two things each week. I hope to get faster at my sketches, but I suppose that’s where the practice comes in and such.

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

Absolutely! 😀 If you ever have any questions feel free to tag me, or Lin. (Lin is a really amazing artist <3 <3)

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Lin
    @lin

@ads_forest Can’t wait to see more of your work! 🙂

@the-fledgling-artist
    Why thank you miss Fledge! The same should be said about you. I loooovee your art style! 🙂

“I've loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest