fb

Popping in to Say Hi ;)

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Popping in to Say Hi ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Kristianne
    @kristianne-hassman

Hello friends,

I’m Kristianne. I live in South Africa, and I love music and writing fantasy and historical fiction. I’m currently working on a medieval fantasy novel using the One Year Adventure Novel (OYAN) curriculum. I’ve really enjoyed diving into the process of writing and planning over the past few months and I’m just now really getting into the flow of my book.

Can’t wait to get to know you all better!

Courage, dear heart.

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
    @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@kristianne-hassman

Hi! I’m Emberynus. . . Well of course that’s not my real name.

Judah: nope. Not her real name.

Me: Judah! Sorry. He’s my character! He will keep popping in if I let him.

Judah: that’s for sure!! First of all I think it’s so cool that you live in South Africa!! I’m from Germany!

Me: Yes. He is. And yes, it is super awesome that you live in South Africa! I am fascinated other countries and cultures!! –

Judah: *grins* that’s why she made up me!!

Me: yup! And Llewellyn. As I was going to say before this crazy boy stole my key board, it’s so nice to meet you!! And-

Judah: your profile picture is really amazing!! She would probably call it ‘epic’ or ‘inspiring’

Me: *snatches the keyboard from Judah* it’s so nice that you live music. What type is your favorite?

Judah: medieval fantasies are so awesome btw! At least to read. But I wouldn’t be a character in one for anything.
    Me: yeah. Your story sounds super!!
    Judah: *nudges me* tell her about you. She said she was looking forwards to getting to know us better.

Me: that’s what I was doing at the beginning before you interrupted Judah!!

Judah: *smiles* yup

Me: anyway. Most people around here just call me Ember. My real name is Rebecca. So you can call me Ember or Becky whichever you prefer. I’m a Christian. I’m from the United States-

Judah: Kentucky to be exact!

Me: *sighs* yes, Kentucky.

Judah: she has a lot of hobbies.

Me: Do I?

Judah: you do.

Me: I guess I do. I like to write-

Judah: WELL DUH!!

Me: don’t ‘well duh’ me young man! As-I-was-saying!! I like to write, draw, paint, crochet, knit, take pictures, listen to music, make walking sticks, do occasional blacksmithing, cook, make maple syrup, shoot(archery and guns), hunt, fish, trap. . .am I forgetting anything Judah?

Judah: umm . . . Well you forgot to mention that you are an archery and rifle coach for your local shooting sports club.

Me: yeah. . . I would be teaching this time of year but our meetings are cancelled due to-

Judah: CORONA VIRUS!! *bangs head on the computer table* ouch!! *Rubs forehead*

Me: yes. That.

Judah: you also really like to have big fires, torture your characters and get kites stuck in trees.

Me: Judah—nevermind! I like to fly kites. . .I do NOT like getting them stuck in trees.

Judah: whatever. It’s all the same to me. OH-Β  and you like to grow plants!!

Me: yes I like to garden.

Judah: you really really like people.

Me: yes!! I love people.

Judah: I think that’s about it.

Me: yup. So that’s me. I can’t wait to get to know you better as well. *Waves* it’s great meeting new people. I’m sorry this took so long. It would have been a lot shorter if somebody hadn’t shown up.

Judah: *waves wildly*

Sold souls and dead promises

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@kristianne-hassman

Hello! πŸ™‚

@Michael-Erasmus
    Hey, here’s another South African! πŸ˜€

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Michael Erasmus
    @michael-erasmus

@kristianne-hassman Woohoo, another South African! And a writer of fantasy and historical fiction. Awesome! I write mainly fantasy, but I’m often inspired by our world’s history, which I think is just so interesting.

Ek’s ook van Suid Afrika, en my Afrikaans is so sleg soos ‘n pantoffel(?), want ek’s uitlink Engels. Wat van jy?

@naiya-dyani
    thanks for remembering. Now we can begin taking over the world–uh, I mean, these forums.

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@Michael-Erasmus *peace sign* No problem. Good luck with your world/forum domination plans! πŸ˜‰

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

@kristianne-hassman

Hello there, fellow music lover! I listen to music all the time, and I actually write some as well.

That’s really cool that you live in South Africa. I’m homeschooled, and we spend a lot of time learning about other cultures and their history. I live in North-Western Ontario, Canada, where it is winter for half the year, and too hot outside in the summer. (Well, not really, but I’ve never been one to like heat much, which is why I say I would like to visit places in Africa, but never live there.) Β πŸ™‚

My family consists of three brothers, and one sister, and we are Christians and have homeschooled our whole lives. Do you have any siblings?

I like to knit, crochet, write sometimes, spend time with friends, do stuff outside, go on canoe trips, listen to music and write it, and read. The last two ones I probably do the most. πŸ™‚

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. -JRR Tolkien

Kristianne
    @kristianne-hassman

Lol, love this! Very creative!

My profile picture is not mine. I got it from Pinterest. πŸ˜‰

I love classical music, and some of my favorite composers are Grieg and Chopin. I also love hymn arranging.

That’s cool that you do blacksmithing and that you’re an archery and rifle coach! What got you interested in doing that?

It’s great to meet you!

Courage, dear heart.

Kristianne
    @kristianne-hassman

@michael-erasmus

That’s cool that you’re South African! I’m actually American, but my family has lived here for the past seven years as missionaries. πŸ™‚

That’s neat you write fantasy! And yes, world history is fascinating. So much good material there to use for stories.

Sorry, I don’t speak Afrikaans. I know, I know, I should probably learn since I live here. But unfortunately, I haven’t learned it yet, though I hope to someday. πŸ˜›

Courage, dear heart.

Kristianne
    @kristianne-hassman

@olivia

That’s great you love music…and that you write it! What kind of music do you write?

I’ve also been homeschooled my whole life. That’s cool you live in Ontario, although I don’t envy the cold! I’m the oldest in my family, and I have three sisters and one brother. We’re also Christians and I’ve lived in Africa almost my entire life (as my family are missionaries), and in South Africa for the past seven years.

That’s neat you like to knit and crochet. I’ve tried to crochet a few times, and I’m terribly at it. XP What kind of books do you like to read?

Courage, dear heart.

Emberynus The Dragonslayer

@kristianne-hassman

Thanks! My characters enjoy expressing themselves in the forum.

Judah: Sure nuff’

Me: I get pics from Pinterest too!!! It’s one of my main sources for picture inspiration!!

Judah: Yep! She browses Pinterest often.

Me: Classical music is so beautiful!!

Judah: I LOVE classical music!!

Me: He plays the piano. As far as what got me into shooting sports and blacksmithing. Shooting came from my dad. He’s been a hunter for a while and got us into it. I’ve always really enjoyed it. I hunt primarily with a bow. Then we met a family at a shooting event (one of the girls is now my BFF)and they introduced us to the 4H shooting sports program. I loved it instantly. When I was old enough I decided I wanted to get certified to be a coach. To get certified we go on a long drive to the bottom of Kentucky (we live near the top) to a three day training workshop. We have conferences, classes, tests and shoot. It was really interesting for a person who had never spent almost three whole days away from home before in a strange place they’d never been to! But it was really fun and I made lots of friends and gained a lot of knowledge. πŸ™‚ Judah, you can tell her about blacksmithing.

Judah: Blacksmithing. My BFF’s dad- well not MY BFF’s dad, but Ember’s BFF’s dad- had some blacksmithing stuff and they wanted to get more into it. It’s kinda one of those cool, traditional thing ya know, like you put it stories. πŸ˜‰ So Ember’s got a whole but of blacksmithing stuff and she decided she wanted to learn. Was that sufficient?

Me: Yes. Quite.

Judah: *bows* thank you.

Me: *sighs* Oh and I think it’s really great that your family are missionaries.

Judah: Family are? Family is? *shrugs*

Me: That’s something that has always really inspired me.

Judah: Oh great! You’re not going to send me to Africa are you?

Me: No, not you, just several other people.

Judah: O.o

Me: so yeah, until we talk again. Bye!

Judah: Auf Wiedersehen

Me: Judah. . . you might not speak German.

Judah: And?

Me: never mind. -_-

Sold souls and dead promises

Michael Erasmus
    @michael-erasmus

@kristianne-hassman

Oh, that’s cool! Seven years is quite some time. How have you been finding it here?

Don’t worry about Afrikaans; I basically said that I can’t speak it well (and I’ve been here my whole life!). I learned only enough to get through school. My family is mostly English.

@kristianne-hassman

I write Christian music, some worship, some other random stuff. Mostly just when it pops into my head, so I don’t go around trying to write songs all the time. πŸ™‚ πŸ˜› It just sorta comes in its own time.

That’s really cool that you’re a missionary kid, because almost my whole life I was one too! I was only one when we moved to a reserve north of where we live now, and we were there for ten and a half years, working with the people there. My dad had kid’s church and youth church, and we had Sunday services at our house that some people came to. Mostly just the teachers from off the reserve came, though. We had to move off the reserve three (almost four) years ago, so my whole growing up life was in a different culture. Even though it wasn’t always the best thing in the world, I loved it, and I’m really glad I grew up like that, being able to experience living in another culture where white people are the minority. I learned a lot from it, and when I look back, I realized how blessed I am to have had that growing up experience. And ever since I was young, I realized I wanted to become a missionary when I was older, though I know God has to call me to it first. πŸ˜› πŸ˜€ Β But I’ve always liked the thought of doing it, since I know some things that would be useful since I grew up as an MK. (Technically an MPK, since my dad was a pastor.)

I’m actually the youngest in my family, and my oldest brother is married, while my sister and next oldest brother are in bible college. So it’s just me and my brother left at home with my parents, but I got used to the quiet of it fast enough. πŸ˜› Β I use a lot of my time doing school in the morning and afternoon, and after that I do whatever. I like my life. πŸ™‚

@kristianne-hassman

And about not knowing the local language, makes perfect sense! The language spoken on the reserve we lived on was Ojibwe, but I only learned a few words and phrases over the course of 10 and a Β half years! Partly because I was a kid and I didn’t care, since all the First Nation kids spoke English. And if you don’t really try to learn the language and put all your effort into it, I have a feeling it would be really hard to learn much. After all, people I know who have learned different languages always say that Β it’s a lot or hard work and effort. (I actually sorta want to learn German, but that isn’t happening yet.)

Kristianne
    @kristianne-hassman

I love Pinterest and use it for inspiration too! If you’re ok with sharing, what’s your username?

That’s neat how you got into shooting and blacksmithing! Those are both helpful things to know for writing stories, especially fantasy. πŸ˜‰

Courage, dear heart.

Kristianne
    @kristianne-hassman

@michael-erasmus

I love it here! We were in a much more difficult third-world country before SA, so I think it’s great, even though there’s a lot of crime and corruption. South Africa is a beautiful country with such so many diverse cultures!

Lol, I’m glad I’m not the only one! πŸ˜‰

Courage, dear heart.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.