"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself "Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Northerner
    @northerner

*stares at the cursor for several minutes*

What you need to know about me: I’m bad at introducing myself. Guessing which categories of information and how much will be right for my audience and neither too much nor too little is really hard.

I write stories? That might be obvious. I say my main genre is historical fiction, although every time I do, I start a new story in a different genre — usually contemporary nonfiction, because it’s something about my life, or fantasy, but sometimes also not. And whenever I try to say medieval historical fiction, because that’s really what I like best, I get an overmastering idea for something in the 1920’s, say (which just happened) (and I don’t even really like the 1920’s). I do like the obscure periods best, which means I’ve been known to ramble on enthusiastically about some part of daily life in C0nversion-Era England without realizing my audience had no idea England existed before Alfred the Great (who was a great guy himself, and I will ramble on about things related to him, if you like). So far I think all of them have been in some part of the country we now call England. I take that back. The first one was in America during our Civil War. I do hate it sometimes when things defy categorization.

I like Chesterton, and Tolkien, and Dorothy Sayers, and Suzannah Rowntree, and obscure medieval anonymous authours, but I’ll read mostly anything we’ve got in our house, which considering the tastes of those who came before me in compiling our library, means I’ve kind of got a miscellaneous reading list. And sometimes of an evening I’ll get together with my sister and we read Dr Seuss and do all the voices (“You’ll learn all about Jake the Pillow Snake, and Foo-Foo the Snoo” — educating people about weird things they didn’t know exist is kind of what I do, and sometimes it feels just that weird).

I am not musical in the least, though I like listening to classical music and older (and somehow ended up working for the orchestra my sister’s in) and can’t draw people to save my life, though I toyed with that and with clay-sculpting when I was a lot younger, and let’s see. . . what other art forms can I not do? Acting, I suppose. Kind of got a conscientious objection to that.

I live in the middle of nowhere, a mile and a half by road from the nearest paved one and ten miles from the nearest town, and I’m a senior liberal arts major, and I’m twenty years old but no one ever remembers it, including myself, and an INTP. I do early medieval living-history and can easily go on for hours about that too. . .

I kind of don’t live in the middle of nowhere any more, I guess, because I can say I’m from the Shire of Avonwood in the Kingdom of Northshield. Someone said something once about giving things a local habitation and a name, and that part of it is still new and shiny.

If there’s something you’re dying to know which I completely left out, or something I mentioned which you want more detail on, feel free to ask.

Elizabeth
      @elizabeth

Hey, I know you…you were on KP, right? Welcome to Story Embers.

I…don’t know what the title of this post has to do with anything you mentioned. Do you write poetry? About cheese?

INTP. Writer of fantasy and sci-fi. Wannabe artist. Anime geek. Merakian.

Allison Grace
      @allison-grace

@northerner Hi! It’s nice to meet you! I’m Allison!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Allison Grace.

"I cannot live without books." -Thomas Jefferson

Northerner
      @northerner

@Elizabeth, Hello, fellow INTP! Yep, I was, and still sort of am. And the title is a non sequitur, because I do that — stuff a quote in when I can’t think of a better title. This one’s by Chesterton.

@Allison-grace
        , you were on KP too, weren’t you?

Elizabeth
        @elizabeth

Haha, got it.

Yay for INTPs!

INTP. Writer of fantasy and sci-fi. Wannabe artist. Anime geek. Merakian.

Carolyn Matthews
        @carolyn-matthews

hey! I was on KP too! What is an INTP? Just curious

A God-fearing, singing beast who loves to escape into the pages of her stories whenever possible

Mariposa Aristeo
          @mariposa

@northerner Welcome to Story Embers! Me and my assistant, Aberdeen the Authorosaurus, remember you from KP! 😃🦖

Here’s a question I bet you don’t get asked everyday: if you were a dinosaur, what species would you be?

I think dinosaurs are cooler than dragons. 🦖

Allison Grace
          @allison-grace

@northerner Yes, I was. But I only was on there a little bit and didn’t really get to know anyone. 🙂

"I cannot live without books." -Thomas Jefferson

Brie Donning
          @brie-donning

Welcome @northerner!

Chesterton! have you actually read the essay that quote is from? I know I’d seen the quote a couple of times before I read Alarms and Discursions. (It’s somewhere in that collection)

We need people who can educate us on obscure facts.

ENFP - Introspective extrovert

Exploring reality, yearning for adventure.

Northerner
          @northerner

@Carolyn-Matthews, INTP stands for Introverted iNtuitive Thinking Procrastinator (well, not actually the last one) — it’s an MBTI type. We’re stereotyped as computer-science people, although I am neither. @Kate-flournoy can tell you all about the types.

@Mariposa
            , probably one of the flying kinds — it’s the next best thing to being a dragon :). Or perhaps a very small one, because everybody expects dinosaurs to be huge.

@Brie-donning
            , I might have, but I don’t remember the title. I have a couple of books of his essays and it might be in there somewhere. Have you read any of his fiction?

Mariposa Aristeo
            @mariposa

@northerner Well, a flying dinosaur is technically not a dinosaur—it’s an extinct flying reptile. 😉 😜

I think dinosaurs are cooler than dragons. 🦖

Brie Donning
            @brie-donning

@Northerner I don’t remember the title either. I’ve read (or listened to) all of The Innocence of Father Brown and part of The Wisdom of Father Brown.

ENFP - Introspective extrovert

Exploring reality, yearning for adventure.

Grace
            @literatureforthelight

@northerner It’s nice to meet you + welcome to Story Embers (I have not been on here a lot, so I feel pretty unqualified to say that, but anyways…)! I was on KP, too, but I’m not sure we ever ran into each other.

Do you particularly like movies/film? What are some of your favorites?

Also, if I ever need to get educated on medieval life or facts, as I do like to write sometimes in fantasy worlds (mostly excluding the magic), I’ll be sure to come find you 🙂

INFJ // The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. (John 1:5)

Northerner
            @northerner

@Mariposa. . . well, it’s not like I’m a science major. This way even the smallest things surprise me.

@Brie-donning
              I am always up for a discussion of Chesterton, and any time you want to read more, I’ve got lists of lists of recommendations, poetry, plays, fiction, non-fiction, essays, you name it, he probably wrote it.

@Literatureforthelight
              my family doesn’t have a TV. . . but like a good home-schooled kid we quote the Princess Bride all the time :). I would be very glad to answer questions you might have about medieval-ish worldbuilding.

Sarah Narnathron
              @sarah-narnathron

Allo, @northerner! I’m Sarah Narnathron, but you know me already as Sarahtps. (You know, if you didn’t recognize the avatar.) Nice to see you here! I saw you on one of the other bits of the forum and decided I ought to acknowledge your existence in other fashions.

I don’t think I knew you were an INTP, but I am exactly 0% surprised. I’m also a little sad that I don’t know you IRL, for the record, because I think it would be quite enjoyable to have an offline friend who’ll ramble on about obscure periods of history.

Also, why do you have a conscientous objection to acting? Just out of curiosity.

Anyway. Welcome to Story Embers!

Welcome to the masquerade.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest