fb

Poetry Collections

Forums Poetry Poetry Discussions Poetry Collections

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Evelyn
    @evelyn

So, lately I’ve been combing through my poems and the thought came up about how to sort them into a collection/book.  When you create a book of poetry, what do you look for? Do you have to sort them a certain order? Do you have to have a over-arching plot/emotion arc through it?

Plus, just, have you ever wanted to write a collection of poetry? What kind of book? What would you put in it?

Tagging some poets:

@kb-writer
     @scribbles @dakota @libby @h-jones @esjohnson @steward-of-the-pen aaand… I’m sure I’m forgetting someone, so if you know a poet who would like to converse let them know! 🙂

• This topic was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Evelyn.
    Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

@evelyn

Wow, that’s a really good question. I’m definitely going to hang around and see what everyone else has to say.

I have thought of putting a collection of poems together, but so far I haven’t seriously pursued that (still not ruling it out, though). Here are a few suggestions as you look into it.

From what I’ve seen, I believe most poetry books have some basic theme, but not overly specific. Basically, you don’t want a thought-provoking, dark, deep poem put in the same collection as a just-for-fun poem about unicorns. That’s just a guess, though. Again, I haven’t really looked into it.

One thing I would suggest is picking up a few poetry books at the library or a bookstore and seeing what they do about organization.

I can’t wait to hear more (and if you decide what you’re going to do, let me know. I’m interested.)

Always remember you're unique...
    ...Just like everyone else

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@kb-writer Okay! Thanks for the suggestions! That does make sense.

Also, I’m wondering if my other tags didn’t work for whatever reason, because they aren’t links like yours was. 😛

( @scribbles @dakota @libby @h-jones @esjohnson @steward-of-the-pen )

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Evelyn.
    Hedges
    @h-jones

An amazing question! Sadly I don’t have time to answer as of right now, but I will. If I don’t come back by the end of the week, you can go ahead and tag me again. *thumbs-up*

Married a blacksmith, and now frequently uses his knowledge for writing fantasy.

Libby
    @libby

@evelyn Hey!  Awesome question.  I have played with the idea of having my own collection of poetry in book format, but I have the same questions as you.  However, if you don’t mind, I have a friend from my guild who I know has been working on this sort of thing.  I hope she doesn’t mind, but I’m going to tag her anyways.  Thanks for asking these questions!

@martina

"Young people, you must pray, for your passions are strong and your wisdom is little."C.H.Spurgeon

Martina
    @martina

Hello @evelyn ! (Thanks, @libby , for letting me know about this post 🙂 ) Right now, I am actually working on putting together a short anthology of my best/favorite short stories, flash fiction, and poetry. The (working) title of the anthology is “A Silver Thread” (Dickens reference; I’m a nerd), and I am using the connection of time to link everything/most everything I am including in the collection together. Time is a pretty vague subject, but I consider it to

I don’t think that this has to be the case for everyone, though– if there isn’t a specific theme that shows up in many of your poetry, the collection doesn’t have to have a specific theme. On the other hand, if you want to see, say, color (to use a more abstract theme), be the overall focus of your collection, try to either pick some of your poetry with that theme or write some more. 🙂

To summarize all of that: I don’t think it is necessary to have a plot/theme throughout your collection, but if it turns out that you kind of already do based on the subjects you tend to write about, go with it.  Hope this helps!

A writer is a world trapped in a person. -Victor Hugo

Dakota
    @dakota

@evelyn This is something I only thought a little about, since I have written most of my poems with a musical mindset. Also I haven’t read any books of just poetry, so I’m not sure how they’re laid out.

But if I were to compile a book of poetry, I would try to a have a theme or purpose  woven throughout, whether obvious or subtle. Probably it would be a volume dedicated to horses (sorry just my personal weakness : ) ). I would have some just generally about horses, like focusing on a certain breed or a certain famous horse in history.Then I might have a few more about attributes of a horse, like speed, beauty and grace. Maybe along with those would be one or  two from the horse’s perspective.

I’ll keep checking back. Hope I have and can be of some assistance.

Psalm 119:11
    Your word I have hidden in my heart,
    That I might not sin against You.

Steward of the Pen
    @steward-of-the-pen

@evelyn *flies in very late on a dragon, which halts so abruptly that I fall off into a mud puddle* Yuck. Oh well. At least I didn’t knock over your vase this time 😛

I haven’t read many poetry books, but those that I did had very vague themes. For example, poems that are all about nature, or just a general book of children’s poems by a certain author.

If I did a book of poetry, I would like to do a collection of songs from one of my worlds (typically my poems are about things in my books anyway). Another thing I might try is to have a collection which, when read in order, made a story, but could be read out of order and still make sense as separate poems. I like the idea of having the collection progress and have a resolution at the end, however, I do enjoy reading random poems that are mostly unrelated. If you put together a collection of your poems about children and their everyday adventures, I know I’d enjoy that 😉

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@martina Yes that did help. And you poetry/short story collection sounds intriguing! But I am afraid I didn’t catch the Dickens reference. 😛  Now I’m really curious about it. XD

@dakota
    Ha. Horses. XD I have so many friends with the same personal weakness. 😉

@steward-of-the-pen
    *does not shake your hand so as to avoid the mud* 😉

Thanks for not knocking my vase over! XD

If I did a book of poetry, I would like to do a collection of songs from one of my worlds 

Ooooh! That sounds really cool! And I’ll let you know if I ever put together those poems as long as you let me know if you ever make a book of your songs. 😉

So another thought along this line for all of you.

What are all your thoughts of the length a collection of poetry should probably be?

Rachel Rogers
    @scribbles

Hey! Sorry I’m late to the party! I’m actually working (very slowly) on assembling a volume of my poetry now. 🙂 Here’s my two cents’ worth:

When you create a book of poetry, what do you look for? Do you have to sort them a certain order? Do you have to have a over-arching plot/emotion arc through it? I have seen all kinds of ways to organize a volume of poetry…by topic, by date written, in no apparent order (although the author probably used *some* logic in arranging them), etc. For *my* poetry book, I’m sorting poems into a very loose “plot” by sorting them into which season I think they fit into best (metaphorically), and then sorting them from there into a logical progression of “events” and feelings.

Plus, just, have you ever wanted to write a collection of poetry? What kind of book? What would you put in it? I’m not sure if this answers your question, but I’m including most of the poetry I’ve written to date (minus a few that I lost somehow *cries* and a few that I just don’t want to share lol). I’m still looking into publication options. I think I may go with CreateSpace because of the low production cost, distribution options, and the ease of e-publishing as well.

Ambiverted INFP. Scribbles all the words. Names the plant friends. Secretly Edna the Piguirrel.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@scribbles Not late at all! Thanks for your thoughts.

I’m including most of the poetry I’ve written to date (minus a few that I lost somehow *cries* and a few that I just don’t want to share lol).

Lol. I know how that feels. xD

If you end up publishing that book, though, let me know! But, I’m a bit confused, I looked at CreateSpace a week or so ago because someone was talking about it – it looks great from what I can tell, but it wasn’t letting people add accounts…

Martina
    @martina

@evelyn The Dickens reference is from A Tale of Two Cities, which happens to be one of my favorite books. Let’s just say that I’ve read it more than once… 😉

A writer is a world trapped in a person. -Victor Hugo

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@martina Cool! I’ve never read that one, so that makes sense. Have you read Bleak House? That’s one of my favorite books and definitely my favorite Dickens book!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Evelyn.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest