fb

Pocket Essentials and the Ordering of Notes

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Pocket Essentials and the Ordering of Notes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Leon Fleming
    @w-o-holmes

Do any of you have a detailed system for taking and writing your notes down? Or is it just a note here, a note there, I see an idea, OH! That was a great plot point. How do you keep up with your notes?

My “structure” for note taking is the folded piece of paper. I’ve accumulated around an unknown number of these little note…things over the past years and now (or when I can) usually keep them in a rectangular black tin container that came with my Atlanta Braves wallet. (This is light leather with the Braves’ logo on it and all that.) Don’t ask my why I do this, but you got to do what you got to do, savvy?

Your arsenal of pocket items. I take this to be a very important topic when discussing writing. Your comfort and confidence in your ability to quickly jot down notes must, and I say MUST, be at the highest level possible. What if you loose that idea and it was one that would have eventually been the foundation for your story? Your spider-webbish plan of action. These are serious matters we are discussing here. What you keep in your pocket may determine the outcome of your story. The quality of your pen matters as well. Some pens or pencils may either write roughly which will ultimately end in your forgetting of that idea or your note coming out in a bad way so that it can’t be read or the pencil braking and your having to sharpen it which will take time. I would encourage all of you out there to always have at least ten cross pens in your pocket at all times along with quality paper. (No, I’m just kidding) I usually keep a red .07 pilot pen as well as a .05 and .38. Besides this, I usually carry a pilot mechanical pencil -.07- or two and a folded-up piece of any regular sized paper in my right-hand pocket. END NOTE.

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

When I come up with an idea I don’t want to forget, I just scribble it down on whatever’s available to me and then transfer it to my Scrivener files once I get to my computer. (Or I just take them down on my phone.) Since I do most my brainstorming in places where I’m near my computer, I’ll often just put them down there as that’s easiest for me, but either scrap paper or my phone notes work fine for me in a bind since I generally don’t develop complex ideas by happenstance.

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Leon Fleming
    @w-o-holmes

Cool. I imagine you’re fairly and fluently fast with your typing?

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

Yes. 😛 My students at school will comment on how fast my typing is, so I’m pretty fluent on that front!

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest