fb

Pinterest for Writers

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Pinterest for Writers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Snapper
    @snapper

Hello friends!

(Look, I’m actually on here within a week… or two???) Who knows?

Okay, so I just got a pinterest account (Yay!) Honestly, it’s addicting. How many writing hours am I going to waste on there? *sets timer* Anyway, I do want to use it partially as a writer platform, so if you want to follow me on there, that would be a huge help (I will follow you back <3 )

Though I’ve noticed that quite a lot of writers on there have huge amounts of views each month? How do I grow my base on pinterest — get people to view my account and follow me? I have zero experience in Pinterest, so fire away.

Thanks all!

Droubay-account

@kate
    @ethryndal @morreafirebird @anyoneelse (Still  learning the tags lol)

• This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Snapper.

*melts chair*

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@snapper  Hey! Great questions! I am Maiden USA on Pinterest (it`s a business account, among other things), and I just followed you. :_

*stalks the topic for answers to mutual questions*

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

Snapper
    @snapper

@selah-chelyah Aww thanks for the follow! I followed you right back! 😀

*melts chair*

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

I’m gonna tag @hope-ann, because she has a great pinterest page that you should definitely check out and knows way more than I do about it. XD All I can really say is keep your boards organized, don’t just have a bunch of random ones. Look up how to make sections and I’d suggest making your page a “business” page, which you can still use for free. It’s just a better format for a blog/writer I think, and you can show off certain boards and such. There are ways to make ads for your blog and such, but they cost money. 😉

I’m Inkdragon on pinterest, by the way, in case you wanted to look and see what I mean by a business format of board sections. XD

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@snapper  Awesome!

@sarah-inkdragon
    Yeah, I agree about the business account. It is really nice!

~ Created to create ~

Snapper
    @snapper

@sarah-inkdragon Okay cool! Thanks for the input. I definitely need to take the time to organize them a bit more instead of just picking out the amazing pics. Lol. But that’s pinterest for you…

Now to drag @hope-ann over here….

Thanks! Your now being followed by a chair-melting dragon. *grins*

*melts chair*

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@snapper XD Yep. I’ll have to go find and follow you now….. 😉

- C. S. Lewis

Hope Ann
    @hope-ann

@snapper So… yeah. I have Pinterest. And have more followers and views there than anywhere else. And frankly, I know nothing about it. XD

Well, that’s not quite true. I do have a business account. And I try to make the covers of the boards all ‘match’. (I think they’re all bluish?) Just cause it’s pretty. I also use ‘rich pins’ for my blog posts and sometimes create graphics with quotes to my articles that I pin and link back to my blog. So I get some traffic from Pinterest. Frankly, I don’t really use it as a business account though. There are things you should or shouldn’t do; ways to get followers, etc. Me? I just pin the things I like (all kinds of writing things). And I’ve been doing it for a few years, so I have lots of pins now. And apparently, people like and follow it. *shrugs* So… yeah. I just kinda use it for what I want to and keep it for myself rather than actually focusing on making it run well for my writing. Which I should maybe try to fix sometime, but I don’t have time right now so… 😛

Victory in the march. Hope in the destination.

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@snapper I’m sorry to say that I honestly have no clue how to use Pinterest very well… other than as a distraction and practice for an aesthetic Instagram account 😛

I think @r-m-archer does a lot on there though. She might know more 🙂

~ Khylie
    "Beauty will save the world." - Dostoevsky

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@snapper  I think those who have blogs, and thus followers to their blogs, have a lot of Pinterest followers as well because of their blog.

~ Created to create ~

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@morreafirebird Thanks for the tag. I actually meant to add input on this and then totally forgot. (And I thought I was subscribed to this thread but apparently wasn’t.) *facepalms*

@sarah-inkdragon
    ’s tips were really good. Organization is important (though I don’t worry as much as some people that all the pins on a board “match.” I do to a point on story and character boards, but I don’t go crazy over it or anything.) and a business account is super helpful. With a business account, you can connect your blog and it’ll make pins from your site “rich,” which makes them more important… somehow. (I’m not actually sure how they work, I just know they’re a good thing.) Plus you just look more professional that way.

I have a blog post that has a few more Pinterest tips for bloggers, if you want to check it out. 🙂

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@snapper

Also, I should note that by organization, I mean mostly just things like not mixing say, humorous pins with inspirational quotes, or art references with aesthetics. That’s pretty much all I mean. 😉 It’s a lot more appealing and easy to navigate someone’s Pinterest page when they have specific boards for certain things rather than just a bunch of boards full of random stuff they like.

- C. S. Lewis

Gabrielle Pollack
    @gabriellepollack

@snapper

*hears the word Pinterest*

*rushes over*

I love using Pinterest for platforming. 😀 It can attract a bunch of traffic to your blog.

I support what everyone has said so far. A Pinterest account should have a focus that reflects the needs of your intended audience. If you’re blogging about writing, then you’ll want a bunch of writing-related boards. Stalk popular writer Pinterest account to see how they do things for inspiration on what to create. 🙂

If you want to make a personal board about something random (like hairstyles), it’s best to make those secret so they don’t interrupt your account’s focus.

Also, totally get a business account as everyone said (and rich pins, so your pins will look more professional and people can click through to your site).

Since Pinterest is a visual search engine, the images you post from your blog are important. I would suggest creating graphics for your blog posts that are easily read, not only on desktops but on mobile devices as well (since a bunch of people uses Pinterest on their phones).

People stress using vertical graphics for your blog posts on Pinterest since they take up more space on a screen as people scroll down. Some group boards and Tailwind Tribes (more on those later) won’t let you contribute anything but vertical pins, so they are important. Canva has a template for vertical pins. 🙂

As for growing your Pinterest account, group boards are a big deal. Group boards are shared by a bunch of people who all get together and pin stuff to the board. Popular group boards have a larger amount of followers. Adding pins to them will help those pins (and you) gain exposure.

It’s pretty hard to find a good group board. The more contributors adding to a board, the harder it is to regulate. If you find group boards, look for bloggers who are in your niche that have a larger following and visit their Pinterest account. Then see what group boards they are a part of. I’d encourage looking at each board before deciding if you want to ask for an invite to make sure they’re for you.

Side note/promo for SE: I’m planning on starting a group board for Story Ember subscribers sometime in the future, so that may help ya. 😀

Aaaand final thing: Tailwind it’s a Pinterest scheduling program that lets you create pins and schedule them to be posted ahead of time. Not everyone likes scheduling since some say Pinterest values manually pinned content more (that’s the premise I work off of). BUT, Tailwind has tribes. These Tribes are kinda like group boards, except they don’t show up in your account and are more geared even more toward promotion.

*wipes brow* Phew. If you have any questions about any of that, I’d love to answer ’em.

Snapper
    @snapper

@hope-ann XD Thanks for your input. Really though, your boards are amazing. But I guess that’s what happens when you save what you like. I think I’ll do the same.

@r-m-archer
    Awesome! Thank you! 😀

@sarah-inkdragon
    Right. That makes sense; I’m just going to keep the less organized boards private. Nobody sees, nobody knows what the state of the sock drawer is. 😉

@gabriellepollack
    So that’s your tag, eh? Of course you’d keep it hidden like that. XD Anyway …

Wowzers. Thank you so much for the info! I’ll definitely try to work on all that. Though I’m still trying to figure out how to make the images on my board pinnable. XD

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Snapper.

*melts chair*

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@snapper Absolutely! Happy to help. 🙂

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.