fb

Pick A Hat

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    J.Parkhurst
    @j-parkhurst

Good day!
    Feel free to pick a hat today:

1) Beloved child of Yeshuaย HaMashiach. Raised Baptist (mostly), now learning the road of Torah-observance as a believer in Yeshua’s saving work.

2)ย  Teacher. I hold licenses in Elementary, Reading and ESL education, and am serving as a third grade Reading Corps tutor this year as I await the revealing of His will for my life.

3) Student of history, language and life. Outside of work and writing, I’m also a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism, in which we learn medieval history byย doing history in a variety of ways. (I dance, weave, do calligraphy/illumination, sew, dabble in ink making, bake, cook, and garden among other things). Philology also has a special place in my mental worlds, and manifests itself in a conversational grasp of ASL, a fading grasp of Quenya, and the development of a conlang for my pet writing project.

4) Writer. A many-times participant of NaNoWriMo/Camp NaNo, I have something akin to seven novels waiting for a turn in revision, and two primary worlds in which I play with words (historical fiction/fantasy and post apocalyptic, respectively). My pet project is a triad of novels, the first of which I’m knee-deep in the revision, and the other two await writing.

Add a flourish to the hat of your choice!

1) INFJ
    2) left-handed
    3) tea-drinker
    4) eldest sibling
    5) raised big-town, loving the small-town

• This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by J.Parkhurst.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by J.Parkhurst.

https://historyheartandhats.wordpress.com/

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

Hey @j-parkhurst; welcome to the forums! I had to comment when I saw you were a teacher; I’ve been teaching high school English at a classical charter school for the past year. Got a great respect for those of you in elementary school; I only had to teach elementary once as a student teacher while in college, and that was harder to do than any of my high school classes. ๐Ÿ˜›

Do you have a favorite real-world language?

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@j-parkhurst Hey, welcome!

Do you by chance write historical fiction then? Just asking because most people I know write fantasy and while I’m even trying it out myself, it’s kinda refreshing to see someone trying something else. ๐Ÿ˜€

What led you to teaching? Do you like it?

๐Ÿ˜€
    ๐Ÿ‘•๐Ÿ‘
    ๐Ÿ‘– ๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข๐Ÿข

Elizabeth
    @elizabeth

Hey! I’m left-handed too, cool.

Sounds like you’re a pretty well-rounded person! I can’t wait to get to know you on the forum.

INTP. Writer of fantasy and sci-fi. Wannabe artist. Anime geek. Merakian.

J.Parkhurst
    @j-parkhurst

@josiah
    Hi! High school kiddos have their own challenges too, though. You’re awesome for working with them! In my student teaching experiences, I worked with kids K-12 to meet all my requirements for all three licenses. In all honesty, I still haven’t found a favorite grade yet ๐Ÿ™‚

Hmmm, real-world languages. I have a deep appreciation (and matching frustration) with English, my native language. If I had to chose another one, it’d definitely be Hebrew. The depth of meaning it allows, the (super)natural logic behind word formation and meaning… it’s mindblowing.

@daeus-lamb

I typically write in the grey zone that’s between historical fiction, and historical fantasy. My primary writing world is in a medieval setting (aiming for 1400-1600), but it’s not based on a fixed point in history either. On the other hand, it’s distinctly a magic-free world, and follows the physical laws of our own world.

I’m not entirely sure if there was a single point that led me to teaching. It’s really been a God-calling since middle school, although it’s finer points have changed a number of times. Last year, my first year of teaching, was a rough one as I was in a position I was not qualified to teach. In comparison to that, Reading Corps this year has been a blessing of healing and confirmation. Will I ever end up as a classroom teacher again? I don’t know yet.

@elizabeth

Yay, fellow lefties! I look forward to meeting you as well.

Lady Iliara
    @lady-iliara

Hello @j-parkhurst! Wow! Itโ€™s really cool that you like Hebrew! I just started learning it recently. But my vocabulary is limited.

ืื ื™ ืื•ื”ื‘ ื”ืกืคืจ

(A rough approximation of what I wanted to say, since I have no idea how to use plurals yet. ๐Ÿ˜„)

ENFJ, Aethasian, and chocolate-Pringle-nerd-blob of epic. Greet at your own risk. *trips on a rock*

J.Parkhurst
    @j-parkhurst

@lady-iliara You are miles ahead of me! I know a few words here and there, mostly from church and worship, and I’m getting somewhat confident in reading the script, but still heavily reliant on vowel points.

Lady Iliara
    @lady-iliara

@j-parkhurst Well…I wouldnโ€™t say…that is, I canโ€™t reallyย read hardly any Hebrew, and I have no idea how to use the little โ€œdotsโ€ that show up around the different letters. Iโ€™m using Duolingo, and I think Iโ€™ve only gotten through three lessons.

I am familiar though with more of the transliterated words from Bible reading and such, like you said! ๐Ÿ˜„

ENFJ, Aethasian, and chocolate-Pringle-nerd-blob of epic. Greet at your own risk. *trips on a rock*

J.Parkhurst
    @j-parkhurst

@lady-iliara I love how Hebrew very clearly reveals the different ways of approaching a language with a different script ๐Ÿ˜€

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

@j-parkhurst I’ve heard from people who know Hebrew that it’s a really fascinating language, but only received a couple week introduction to the language in high school. I’d love to study it more at some point.

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Sam Kowal
    @sam-kowal

@j-parkhurst ๐Ÿ˜€ Epicness. I like watching SCA reenactments, especially the fighting, although I’ve only seen one once.

I, too, am left handed ๐Ÿ˜€ I think @elizabeth and I were the only ones before we met you… nice to have here ๐Ÿ™‚

*nom, nom, nom* *eats donuts*
    Oh, are you hungry? *begins weeping*
    I would have saved you one!

J.Parkhurst
    @j-parkhurst

@josiah I’m particularly falling in love with the depth of the tri-consonantal system. It makes so much sense at an intuitive level, especially when considering the paleo-Hebrew letter origins.

@sam-kowal
    Yay lefties! I particularly love the formalities of court, and the dancing as of late ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest