fb

Outlining Templates?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Outlining Templates?

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

Hi all,

I wanted to ask if any of you have any special outlining tips/resources to share? And do you know of any good (open source or your own creation) Word Doc templates to use for outlining?

Thank you!

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." ~Th.Jefferson

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@pursuewisdom

Have you checked out Story Embers Three Act Plot Sheet? I haven’t used it a ton, but so far it’s been really helpful in sorting out my thoughts and making sure my plot is in order. I plan on using it more. Check it out in the Resources page.

Are you familiar with Freytag’s Pyramid?

FREYTAG’S PYRAMID:

This is a very traditional plot outline and is often recommended for beginning writers, to familiarize them with plotting. There’s pros and cons to using this sort of outline. But I’ve found it helpful and would recommend it to anyone, especially beginners.  It’s the one I use the most…because I’m still such a beginner and am too scared and inexperienced to try other plot structures and outlines. 😛

Hope that’s helpful!

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@pursuewisdom

(I’m just following this discussion)

Published author, student in writing, works with HazelGracePress.com

Chalice
    @chalice

@pursuewisdom, I would suggest going through the book, The Anatomy of Story, by John Truby. It has really helped me with my outline, deepening my characters, and figuring out my theme. I still need to finish going through it myself, though. 😛

ENFP-T/Artist/Writer/Musician
    “Creativity takes courage” -Henri Matisse

Michelle
    @mlbolangerauthor

@pursuewisdom I have recently found K.M. Weiland’s resources to be extremely helpful. Most of them are free on her website. =) Check the links down the left side of the page for all the goodies.

https://www.helpingwritersbecomeauthors.com/

Clumsy but cute. Apologizes a lot. Doesn't shed. Much.

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@eden-anderson

(Your profile photo is SO cute!!!)

Yes, I’ve think I’ve seen this pyramid before in AP Lit class. 🙂 I’m familiar with the basic story structure and am looking for more specific outlining templates/techniques…

Thanks for being my first respond-er to this topic!

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." ~Th.Jefferson

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@wordsmith

Glad to know that I’m not the only one with this question. 🙂

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@chalice

Thank you, Chalice! I’ve been hearing about The Anatomy of Story by Truby from Weiland for a while now, so I’ll def. need to check it out of my library! Is he very specific with outlining techniques, or is it more like a general explanation about structure?

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@mlbolangerauthor

Thanks for bringing up Ms. Weiland, Michelle! I’ve been following Weiland’s articles for over about a year now – she has some wonderful resources/books/free articles. 🙂 I’ve been doing my best to apply them and was wondering if any of you know some other resources as well.

Chalice
    @chalice

@pursuewisdom, he’s very specific. In each chapter he focuses on a different area of your story, for example: theme, characters, world-building, or plot. And then after you read through the chapter he has questions that you go through and answer and examples of answers from other stories.

ENFP-T/Artist/Writer/Musician
    “Creativity takes courage” -Henri Matisse

Jane Maree
    @jane-maree

@pursuewisdom I definitely recommend the three act plot structure! SE has a template ready to download and fill in on the Resources page. 😉

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@pursuewisdom

Okay, well those were the first two things that popped into my head and I thought I would share them.😁 I hope someone was able to help you out better!

Thanks! I adore hedgehogs.😉

@chalice

I really need to check out this book…sounds amazing!!

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@chalice

Thank you for the information – much appreciated.

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@jane-maree

Thanks for bringing it up! I actually downloaded but it’s one of those things that slipped out of my mind after it was printed out. (go finding it right now)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest