Outlines

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Zee
    @zee

In the past, I’ve used a very vague and flexible outline for my stories, but for my latest, I’m experimenting with a fuller, more detailed outline, and really liking it so far…

I’m curious to see a show of hands…who here outlines or structures their stories before doing much (or any) writing, and who just jumps straight in?

Ella
      @writergirl101

@zee

I’ve tried the whole pantser thing, but it just doesn’t work for me. 😊  If I can, I actually like to plan a lot ahead of time, because there aren’t a lot of unknowns going into writing.Β  The only thing that I don’t like is the time it takes to plan! πŸ˜„

If something goes wrong in your life, yell "Plot twist!" and keep going. 😎🍰

Dakota
        @dakota

@zee I usually start with a plan and try to stick to it. Bu if I get fresh idea for the story along the way, I’ll throw a monkey wrench into the plan and add it in. Which, I guess, makes me both a planner and a pantser. πŸ™‚

Psalm 119:11
        Your word I have hidden in my heart,
        That I might not sin against You.

Beth Darlene
        @beth20

So, I would consider myself a panster, but recently I started doing more outlining. This last story that I’m currently writing, I have started outlining and writing backstory before I actually write the story.

Jominkreesa! For the weirdos who know what it means! πŸ˜‰

Zee
          @zee

With an outline, I feel more confident that I know what I’m doing…but my outline isn’t just a set of bullet points, i.e., “This happens, then this, then this”– it includes why scenes occur, what themes the story is dealing with, questions that need answered along the way, etc. It does take time, as @writergirl101 mentioned, but I think in the long run it will save time.

Arindown
            @arindown

@zee

I’m somewhere in between a plotter and panster…but definitely leaning toward panster in most of my projects. I love the idea of just being able to dive in, with no rules, and see where things go.

I actually wrote a bit of an outline for my WIP, but I haven’t really followed it at all. I have a vague idea of where I’m going. For one of my projects, I have two “possible” endings, but I don’t plan to decide until I write the end. Then I’ll just do whatever feels “right.”

Forgiven. Loved. Creative.

Zee
              @zee

@arindown, sometimes that’s the only way to go, outline or no outline–trust your storyteller’s instinct.

Kristianne
                @kristianne-hassman

@zee

I’ve always done some sort of outline before I start, because I feel like I’m wasting my time if I don’t come up with a plan before I start writing. It helps for me to know exactly what I’m writing and where I’m going with the story or else I just kind of wander around and don’t get much done.

Courage, dear heart.

Zee
                  @zee

It’s also helpful for me to have this more in-depth outline, because I’m three books into a series that’s only written chronologically in the loosest possible sense–some of the events of Book Two happen before Book One, for example. The outline means I get a quick bird’s eye view of everything and can see ahead of time when I’m going to run into trouble. But all the same, I’m about ready to finish outlining and start writing!

@zee I… don’t know what I am? XD I used to be a total pantser, but it turns out that myΒ years of pantsing my current WIP led to it actually being plotted, so now I’m writing it with a plot — although it’s fairly loose and mostly in my head. I did NaNo for the first time last year and won, and my plot was the script of a musical I was inspired by and a few ideas hastily jotted down, and it worked great. So I’m pretty sure I’m somewhere in the middle and like to have a general plot (beginning, middle, ending, characters, etc.) without being forced to stick to a specific structure or having a scene-by-scene outline.

πšπšŽπšŠπš› πš—πš˜ πšŽπšŸπš’πš• | πš–πšŠπš’ πšŽπšŸπš’πš• πšπšŽπšŠπš› 𝚒𝚘𝚞

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest